Creamy low carb coconut cheesecake with a delicious gluten-free macadamia nut crust. What a way to ring in National Cheesecake Day!
I am a grown woman with an excellent education and I can be extremely well spoken when need be. Put me in a formal setting or stand me up in front of an audience and I will mind my P’s and Q’s and speak like the intelligent being that I am. Make me angry and I will get very formal and very haughty and wither you with proper sentence construction and large, intimidating words. But the truth is that I really prefer to sprinkle my speech with colloquialisms and slang. Here I am, 41 years of age, and I throw around the term “Dude!” like it’s going out of style. Seriously, dude, I use it all the time. It peppers my informal speech constantly, as do other 80’s slang terms like “totally” and “psyched”. And I certainly don’t limit myself to any particular decade of slang. I pick up slang and colloquialisms from any generation and use them happily if they suit my purpose. I am a very expressive person and I feel like these words help me emphasize my point sometimes. Besides, they are just fun to say. I suspect I will be 80 and still saying “Dude!” when it feels like the right thing to say.
So when I saw that my friend Roxana of Roxana’s Home Baking was organizing bloggers for Cheesecake Day, I believe my first words were “Hellz Yeah!”. And you know it’s true: hellz yeah is the only appropriate response to an invitation to take part in National Cheesecake Day. Normally I pay little mind to these made up food holidays but cheesecake is a very important part of my life and I must honour it appropriately. Not only must I honour it, but I must bow before it as the ultimate low carb dessert. I mean, it’s cake, but it’s made with cheese and eggs and cream. As long as you can alter the crust and replace the sweetener, it’s an easy low carb makeover and it looks, tastes and feels just like the real thing. It IS the real thing, because let’s face it, using other sweeteners and making a nut crust is not making a fake cheesecake. It’s making a real and yet a healthier cheesecake. Rock on, dude!
So for a moment, let’s discuss this particular cheesecake here, this Coconut Cheesecake with Macadamia Nut Crust. This one, my friends, is a thing of beauty, both inside and out. It’s the ambrosia of the gods. It is heaven on earth. It is, to get all colloquial on you, “Da Bomb”. I mean, almost all cheesecake is good, but this one truly was exceptional. The texture was spot on, the filling seemed light and somewhat airy and yet was rich and creamy. The macadamia crust had a crunch that offset the creamy filling. And the topping was whipped cream and toasted coconut. What’s not to love about that? It’s a dessert worthy of National Cheesecake Day.
The nice part about this little celebration is that we are doing it simply for the love of cheesecake. It’s not sponsored by anyone, we didn’t ask any brands to participate. We just have 80 or so bloggers creating delicious cheesecake recipes and posting them on the same day. Although I suspect that I am the only low carb, gluten free blogger on the list, I’d definitely encourage you to check out the other amazing creations from my fellow bloggers. At the very least, you will come away with some cheesecake inspiration!
Coconut Cheesecake with Macadamia Nut Crust
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 3 tbsp Swerve Sweetener
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil or melted butter (I used macadamia nut oil)
- 1 & 1/2 lbs cream cheese (3 8-ounce packages), softened
- 3/4 to 1 cup Swerve Sweetener, depending on how sweet you like it
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup full fat coconut milk (canned), room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 325F and wrap the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan in foil.
- In a food processor, process macadamia nuts on high until coarsely chopped.
- Add coconut, sweetener and salt and process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (it may begin to clump together because of the high oil content of the macadamias).
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and add oil or melted butter. Stir to combine well. Press mixture firmly and evenly into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until just beginning to brown around the edges. Remove and let cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300F.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese on medium until smooth. Beat in sweetener until well combined.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl and beaters as needed. Then beat in coconut milk, vanilla extract and coconut extract until smooth.
- Brush the sides of the springform pan with a little oil or melted butter and then pour the filling over the cooled crust.
- Place springform pan on a cookie sheet and place on the center rack on the oven. On the rack below, place a large baking dish filled with water.
- Bake 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes, or until edges are set and center just barely jiggles when shaken. Remove and let cool completely.
- Run a sharp knife around the edges of the pan and remove sides. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 3 or 4 hours.
- In a large bowl, beat whipping cream, sweetener and extract until stiff peaks form. Spread over chilled cheesecake.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut (I simply toasted mine in a dry skillet over medium heat, shaking until coconut was lightly browned).
Serves 16. Each serving has 8.91 g of carbs and 4.32 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 4.59 g.
Food energy: 422kcal Saturated fatty acids: 26.04g Monounsaturated fatty acids: 11.21g Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 1.24g Total fat: 38.48g Calories from fat: 346 Cholesterol: 92mg Carbohydrate: 8.91g Total dietary fiber: 4.32g Protein: 6.44g Sodium: 200mg
National Cheesecake Day Bloggers!
Pear cheesecake with gingersnap crust from Roxana’s Home Baking
Strawberry Chocolate Ganache Cheesecake Bars from A Kitchen Addiction
No-Bake Peanut Butter Cheesecake from Crunchy Creamy Sweet
Frozen Peanut Butter Cheesecake with Nutter Butter Crust from Crazy for Crust
Caramel Overload Cheesecake Bars from Crumbs and Chaos
Blackberry Goat Cheese Cheesecake from Baking a Moment
Healthier Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownie Bars from Texanerin Baking
White Chocolate Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake from Will Cook For Smiles
Coconut Cheesecake with Macadamia Crust from All Day I Dream About Food
Lemon Cheesecake from Shugary Sweets
No Bake Peanut Butter Cheesecake from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
Oreo Cheesecake (vegan) from Namely Marly
Blueberry Ricotta Cream Cheesecake from Hungry Couple
Lemon Ginger Panna Cotta Cheesecake with Blueberry Sauce from Girl Versus Dough
Mini Mascarpone Cheesecakes with Strawberry Balsamic Topping from Boulder Locavore
S’mores Cheesecake from The Gunny Sack
Raspberry Cheesecake with Oreo Crust from Hip Foodie Mom
Black Raspberry Cheesecake Milkshake from Blahnik Baker
No Bake Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake from White Lights on Wednesday
Blackberry Cheesecake Popsicles from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Chocolate Nutella Cheesecake Cake from gotta get baked
White Chocolate Frangelico Cheesecake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Cherry and Pistachio No Bake Cheesecake with Animal Cracker Crust from Cravings of a Lunatic
Triple Brigadeiro Cheesecake Tart from From Brazil To You
White Chocolate Cheesecake with Macadamia Nuts and Caramel from Taste and Tell
Snickers Cheesecake from Life, Love and Sugar
Cherry Cheesecake Brownies from Inside BruCrew Life
Lilikoi Cheesecake with Macadamia Nut Shortbread Crust from Dieter’s Downfall
Strawberry Cheesecake Pots from Barbara Bakes
Mom’s Cheesecake from Magnolia Days
Very Berry Cheesecake with Chocolate Oreo Crust from JavaCupcake
Vanilla Bean Cheesecake from Wine & Glue
New York Style Cheesecake from URBAN BAKES
Rainbow Cheesecake from In Katrina’s Kitchen
Chocolate Cheesecake w/ Whisky Toffee Shards from girlichef
No Bake Coconut Lime Cheesecake Bars from Beyond Frosting
Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars from Cooking In Stilettos
Ricotta Cheesecake from French Press
Peanut Butter Cheesecake with Nutella Ganache Topping from The Redhead Baker
Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Cheesecake from Savvy Eats
Caramel Macchiato Cheesecake from Wishes and Dishes
Key Lime Pie Cheesecake from Love and Confections
Apricot-Swirl Cheesecake from Take A Bite Out of Boca
Hawaiian Mini Cheesecakes from Pint Sized Baker
Butter Pecan Caramel No-Bake Mini Cheesecakes from Simply Southern Baking
Pumpkin Cheesecake from Lady Behind The Curtain
Mini cheesecakes with a toasted coconut crust (gluten free) from Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
No Bake Blackberry Cheesecake from You Made That?
Mini No Bake Lime Cheesecakes from Miss in the Kitchen
No-Bake Limoncello Cheesecake from Cake Duchess
No-Bake Berry Cheesecake from Food Lust People Love
Key Lime Trifles from Hoosier Homemade
Hawaiian Chantilly Layer Cheesecake from Wallflour Girl
No Bake Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Bars from Garnish with Lemon
Mango Cheesecake (vegan) from Jessiker Bakes
Salted Caramel Apple Cheesecake from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake Bars from Chez CateyLou
Oreo Ripple Cheesecake from Overtime Cook
No Bake Dulce de Leche Cheesecake with Caramelized Peaches from The Food Charlatan
Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake Ice Cream from Chocolate Moosey
Sugar Cookie Cheesecake from Munchkin Munchies
Caramel cheesecake martini from Happy Food, Healthy Life
Frozen PB&C Cheesecake from Noshing With The Nolands
Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake Cookies from Lemons for Lulu