Delicious low carb cauliflower tots with the great flavours of green chile and bacon. Spice up your game day festivities!
I will be the first to admit that I am not that much of a football fan. But if you invite me over for your Game Day party, chances are that I will RSVP with an enthusiastic yes. And I will actually show up and watch the game and probably make some relatively well-informed comments about the various plays and how the teams are performing. So you won’t suspect that I really have very little interest in the large men moving the pigskin up and down the field. It’s all a well-practiced cover for the REAL reason I enjoy football season. The Food (yes, Food with a capital F).
But chances are that you have your own hidden agenda going on. Chances are that you decided to include this food blogger in your game day festivities because you knew she would be focussed on the food. And you knew she would feel the need to whip up some tasty treats to add to the day’s enjoyment. Probably an appetizer…but maybe a dessert (or two!) as well, if you’re lucky. She can’t help herself, and you are making the most of that. Who can blame you!
So, as I have indeed been invited to some Game Day festivities, I hit my local Albertson’s for some supplies. Football food often has a Mexican flair, so I went down the Latin food aisle and perused the Old El Paso™ products for some spicy inspiration. I grabbed a few cans of Old El Paso chopped green chiles and sliced jalapeños. Then I grabbed some cauliflower, cheddar cheese and, of course, bacon. All sounds like a pretty good start to a game day recipe, don’t you think?
I had such fun creating these cauli tots and they are the perfect game day finger food. Less filling than potato-based tots, they have a crispy exterior and a soft inside, and the chiles and jalapeños gave them great flavour. You can skip the jalapeños if you prefer things less spicy or you are serving them to kids. I think they don’t need any dipping sauce, but if you just can’t help yourself, feel free to dip them into some Old El Paso salsa too.
For more great Game Day ideas, check out Old El Paso.
Green Chile & Bacon Cauliflower Tots
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into florets
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup almond meal
- 8 slices bacon chopped and cooked crisp
- 1 7- ounce can Old El Paso chopped green chiles drained
- 2 tablespoon chopped Old El Paso jalapeño slices chopped (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a food processor, process cauliflower until it resembles grains of rice. Transfer to medium saucepan, add water and steam 10 to 12 minutes, until very soft.
- Set a tea towel into a sieve and drain cauliflower. Let cool enough to handle and then use the tea towel to squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease 24-cavity a mini muffin pan very well.
- In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, cheese, almond meal, bacon, green chiles, jalapeños if using, eggs, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Divide mixture among prepared muffin cups and press to compact them. Bake 25 minutes or until tops are golden brown and tots are set.
- Remove and let cool 5 minutes. Do not let them cool longer before removing them from the pan as they start to stick again.
- Serve hot. They can also be made ahead and rewarmed in the oven, just in time for game time!
Total fat: 13.70g
Calories from fat: 123
Total dietary fiber: 3.39g