Dive into summer with these easy low carb pizzas made in portobello mushroom caps. A naturally gluten-free, grain-free solution! This post is sponsored by al fresco®
Today is the official start of summer, did you know that? Apparently the summer solstice is today at 6:34 pm Eastern time. Chances are you’ve already been celebrating summer for a few weeks now. I know I certainly have. We’ve gone in and out of summer-like weather, with some crazy unseasonably hot days (101F!) and then some cool rainy days (60F). Portland isn’t sure what season it is, but we’ve been hanging out with friends and grilling like mad regardless. It’s summer and I plan on using that grill as much as humanly possible. Which means grilling anything and everything that I can.
While I have yet to make a low carb pizza crust that would stand up to the heat of a grill, Mother Nature has a few of her own. Large mushroom caps make a perfect healthy low carb vessel for your favourite pizza toppings and they taste absolutely amazing when grilled. Oh all that melty cheese and char-broiled flavour…it’s like the best mushroom pizza you have ever, ever had. And while pepperoni is delicious, I’ve always had an affection for sausage on my pizza. Grill the sausage too and you’ve got a whole super-grilled low carb pizza.
My friends at al fresco® are also in the mood to celebrate summer and they want you to celebrate with them. In order to facilitate everyone’s summer fun, they are hosting a fun sweepstakes and recipe contest. You can win $500 and a new grill worth $500 just for voting. Pretty sweet deal, right? ENTER TO WIN HERE
I met some of the folks behind the al fresco® all-natural chicken sausage last summer, and I can tell you that they are all about the summer celebrations. They are some of the most fun, down-to-earth people you’ll ever meet and the brand is based in my old hometown of Boston, so I had fun times reminiscing about the area with them.
And to kick of the unofficial start of summer, we hosted a big Memorial Day BBQ in our newly landscaped backyard. We weren’t entirely sure that the weather would hold or that the space would be big enough for 14 adults and 15 kids. But we ended up with a gorgeous day and were delighted to discover that the yard was just perfect for entertaining. As always, we served much too much food. 4 big racks of ribs, 7 packages of al fresco® chicken sausages, some hot dogs for the pickier of the kids, innumerable sides brought by friends, and two sugar-free desserts made by yours truly. It was a blast.
So get grilling, friends. And make sure you check out the Sweet, Smoky and Simple Sweepstakes for your chance to win!
Grilled Sausage Portobello Pizzas
Dive into summer with these easy low carb pizzas made in portobello mushroom caps. A naturally gluten-free, grain-free solution!
- 6 medium portobello mushroom caps (about 4 inches in diameter)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 6 tbsp sugar-free tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 al fresco® chicken sausages, grilled and sliced (I used the fully cooked Red Pepper & Asiago)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Remove stems and scrape black gills out of the inside of the mushroom caps. Brush the outsides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Turn back over and spread about 1 tbsp of tomato sauce inside each cap. Sprinkle with mozzarella and layer with sliced sausage.
- Place caps on grill and cook until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 8 minutes. Watch carefully...as they cook, the mushrooms soften and begin to flatten out, so that the fillings begin to slide off! This is when you know they are done to perfection.
- Sprinkle with basil and serve.
- These actually can be made a day or two ahead, the leftovers heat up wonderfully in a toaster oven or even in the microwave.
Serves 6. Each serving has 4.96g NET CARBS.
Food energy: 264kcal Total fat: 19.21g Calories from fat: 172 Cholesterol: 68mg Carbohydrate: 6.32g Total dietary fiber: 1.36g Protein: 17.60g