Neapolitan ice cream gets a no-churn low-carb makeover! These healthy Neapolitan popsicles are a delicious keto summer treat with only 3g of carbs per serving. This post is sponsored by DairyPure via The Motherhood.
You heard it here first: sour cream is a fantastic low carb ingredient and you need to keep some on hand at all times. Even those of you who think you don’t like sour cream should consider grabbing a tub and keeping it in the fridge. Believe me when I say you will find any number of uses for it. It’s good for far more than just dolloping on top of your keto nachos or taco pie. We often think of it in savory applications but I have come to discover it’s myriad uses in sweet and baked recipes too. So go, go on now, head to the store and pick up a big container because you are going to need it. Especially if you want to make these delightful low carb Neapolitan Popsicles. And you do, oh yes you do!
Remember when you were a kid and every birthday party or family gathering would have a block of Neapolitan ice cream to serve out? It was always so pretty, with the three perfect layers of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream. I think of it as a summer childhood classic and I wanted to recreate that in a fun to eat ice cream treat.
And that’s where the sour cream comes in. I’ve found that when making low carb no-churn ice cream, using a thick base like sour cream really gives it the perfect consistency and keeps it from freezing rock hard. And it does not result in a tangy or sour flavour at all. Once you add some sweetener, it simply tastes like ice cream. Or in this case, ice cream bars or popsicles.
DairyPure sour cream is ideal for this recipe. It’s made with fresh cream and has absolutely no artificial growth hormones. In fact, DairyPure has a 5-point purity promise that includes testing for antibiotics and purity and cold-shipping to your local store to ensure freshness. The Land O’Lakes Sour Cream is now Dean’s DairyPure Sour Cream, with the same great taste that families have loved and trusted for years. For recipes, local retailers, the full line of products, and to learn more about DairyPure’s exclusive Five-Point Purity Promise, visit: https://www.dairypure.com. And it comes in an easy-to-use fridge-friendly tub.
Low Carb Neapolitan Popsicles
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, 3/4 cup of the whipping cream, sweetener, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the strawberries until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of the sour cream mixture and blend until well combined.
- Transfer another 1/2 cup of the sour cream mixture into another bowl and whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. It will be quite thick so add the additional whipping cream 1 tablespoon at a time until it has thinned out and is of a "spoonable" consistency.
- Transfer the chocolate mixture to a frosting piping bag or a large ziplock bag and cut of the very tip. Use the bag to pipe an even layer into the popsicle molds, filling each about 1/3 full. Try to make the layer as even as you can and not get any drips down the sides (as they will show up on your other layers). Use a q-tip to clean up the sides of the mold if necessary.
- Layer the remaining vanilla mixture over the chocolate, filling to about the 2/3 mark on each popsicle mold (you can put this in a bag as well, or simply pour it from a measuring cup). Clean up the sides a bit.
- Pour the strawberry over the vanilla mixture, filling to almost the top of each mold (again, in a piping bag or from a measuring cup). Insert wooden sticks 2/3 of the way into each popsicles and freeze until firm, about 4 to 5 hours.
- To release, run hot water over the molds and gently tug at the stick.
Many thanks to DairyPure and The Motherhood for partnering with me to bring you this recipe.