Heavenly low carb peanut butter ice cream with a rich, sugar-free ribbon of fudge. Thank goodness it’s ice cream seasons again!
Forgive me readers, for I have sinned. It’s been more than three months since my last chocolate and peanut butter recipe. I have no excuses for this error of omission, because it’s not as if I haven’t been eating chocolate and peanut butter. I’ve just been eating it behind your back and not sharing. Which is all the worse, I know. What you must think of me! How I have debased myself, how far I have fallen in my reputation as the undisputed queen of low carb chocolate and peanut butter recipes!
Worse yet is the fact that I have been holding on to this particular recipe, this yummy, creamy, dreamy, swirly, peanut-buttery, chocolatey recipe since last summer. LAST SUMMER! Oh the shame, the shame! I don’t know how it got away on me but I created it last August and took the photos and enjoyed all the deliciousness and then…suddenly it was fall and back to school and then Halloween and Thanksgiving and Christmas. And January, when much of the country doesn’t even want to think about ice cream, they want warm and gooey from the oven.
So I held onto it until the sun rose higher and higher in the sky and it finally felt like the long winter was loosening its grip. Actually, round these parts, winter loosened its grip quite some time ago and we are enjoying 85 degrees (that’s 29 degrees celsius for the rest of you!). Which doesn’t bode well for the summer and I am worried about a really long, hot dry one again. Methinks I shall be making copious amounts of ice cream!
The credit for this idea goes in part to a reader who said she uses my low carb hot fudge sauce in a fudge ripple ice cream. It sounded so good, I knew I had to give it a go. But being the undisputed queen of low carb chocolate and peanut butter, I simply had to give it my own peanut buttery twist. So here you have it…a peanut butter ice cream base with rich swirls (or ripples) of chocolate fudge sauce.
Do you forgive me yet?
Heavenly low carb peanut butter ice cream with a rich, sugar-free ribbon of fudge. Thank goodness it's ice cream season again!
- For the ice cream, set a bowl over an ice bath and set aside.
- Combine cream, almond milk and sweetener in medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sweetener dissolves and mixture reaches 175F on an instant read thermometer.
- Whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl. Slowly add about 1 cup of the hot cream mixture, whisking continuously, to temper the yolks. Then slowly whisk egg yolk mixture back into cream, whisking continuously.
- Cook until mixture reaches 180F on an instant read thermometer. Remove from heat and whisk in peanut butter until well combined.
- Pour mixture into bowl set over ice bath and allow to cool 10 minutes. Then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill at least 3 hours.
- Stir in vodka, if using, and vanilla extract. Sprinkle with xanthan gum and whisk vigorously to combine. Pour custard into the canister of an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's directions.
- Meanwhile, make the fudge sauce. In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together whipping cream and sweetener until combined. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat.
- Add chopped chocolate and let sit 5 minutes, until chocolate is completely melted. Add vanilla extract and whisk until smooth. Let cool at least 10 minutes.
- Once the ice cream is churned, transfer half to an airtight container. Dab spoonfuls of sauce over the ice cream and swirl to combine. Repeat with remaining ice cream and remaining sauce. Cover and freeze at least one hour until firm.
Serves 10. Each serving has 6.92 g NET CARBS.
Food energy: 422kcal
Total fat: 37.35g
Calories from fat: 336
Total dietary fiber: 2.10g
Sugar Alcohols (erythritol): 16.5g