All the best of strawberry season in one delicious low carb poke cake. Tender cake with a sweet strawberry filling and topped with whipped cream. THM friendly!
It’s strawberry season in the Pacific NorthWest and I honestly believe no one could be more excited than I am. There is simply nothing quite like a fresh local strawberry. Now, having grown up in Ontario, where the strawberries are delicious, having lived in British Columbia, where the strawberries are delicious, and having spent 11 years in New England, where the strawberries are delicious, I can tell you that it doesn’t really matter where you are. If that region is good for strawberry cultivation, then the fresh-picked local strawberries are the best you’ve ever had. Local folks will tell you that their strawberries are THE BEST EVER! And they are, of course, in that very moment. Because you are popping a fresh strawberry into your mouth and nothing else in the world matters. It’s good, it’s juicy, and you think there simply can’t be anything better.
One of the famed local varieties in this part of the world is the Hood strawberry. Oregon is famous for these berries, which have great colour and an extra sweet flavour. People around here want their Hoods, asking for them by name at farmer’s markets and accepting no substitutes. And they are wonderful berries, but they are fragile and don’t travel well, so don’t expect to see them much outside of Oregon. They are so soft that they are best eaten within days of picking. Which is perfectly fine in my family, as my kids can down a pint or two in one sitting!
Strawberry season always sparks my creativity in recipe creation. I often buy a half-flat at our local farmer’s market simply so I can get the strawberry recipe juices flowing. Since fresh berries like these go so much faster than store-bought, the pressure is on! But this recipe has been on my mind for ages and I was just barely hanging on until strawberry season rolled around to make it. My low carb poke cakes are always ridiculously popular. And what could be better than a combination of strawberry shortcake and a poke cake? You’re right…nothing could be better.
Because I have so many wonderful readers devoted to the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle, I decided to attempt one of my poke cakes with the Baking Blend. I wanted to see if I could modify my regular cake base to this popular ingredient. Turns out it was simple…I kept almost everything the same, but cut back on the flour a bit and added more liquid. Which means that any of my poke cakes could be adapted in this way. Yay! But not to alienate any of my readers, I’ve also included instructions for my typical almond flour poke cakes. So there you have it, the best of both healthy diet worlds!
Strawberry Shortcake Poke Cake
All the best of strawberry season in one delicious low carb poke cake. Tender cake with a sweet strawberry filling and topped with cream cheese. THM friendly!
- 2 1/2 cups THM Baking Blend (or 3 cups almond flour)
- 3/4 cup Swerve Sweetener (or 1/4 cup THM Super Sweet)
- 1/3 cup unflavoured whey protein powder
- 2 tsp grain-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups almond or cashew milk, unsweetened (use only 1/2 cup if using almond flour)
- 1 1/2 cup strawberries (if the are very large, quarter them for better measuring)
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tbsp powdered Swerve Sweetener (or 1 tbsp THM Super Sweet)
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease a 9x9 baking pan well (you can use an 8x8 but the cake will take a little longer to cook).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the baking blend (or almond flour), sweetener, whey protein, baking powder, and salt. Stir in melted butter, eggs, vanilla extract and almond milk until well combined.
- Spred batter in prepared baking pan and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until edges are beginning to brown and top is firm to the touch. Remove and let cool, then use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke large holes all over the cake.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine strawberries and water. Bring to a boil and then simmer until berries are very soft. Puree in a blender or with a hand blender, then stir in sweetener. Sprinkle surface with xanthan gum and whisk vigorously to combine. Let cool until somewhat thickened.
- Pour filling over cake and tap the baking pan gently on the counter to help it fill the holes. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, combine whipping cream, sweetener, and vanilla extract and beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over cake and refrigerate another hour or so to firm up.
Serves 16. Nutritional counts depend on whether you use THM Baking Blend or almond flour.
THM Baking Blend (per 1/16th of cake) Food energy: 172kcal Total fat: 13.60g Calories from fat: 122 Cholesterol: 71mg Carbohydrate: 9.55g Total dietary fiber: 6.63g Protein: 6.90g
Almond Flour (per 1/16th of cake): Food energy: 253kcal Calories from fat: 198 Cholesterol: 71mg Carbohydrate: 6.49g Total dietary fiber: 2.57g Protein: 7.59g