This low carb pumpkin flan might just be the perfect fall dessert. Creamy and rich, with a sweet covering of caramel when you flip it out onto a plate. A great recipe for your low carb holidays.
I am about to serve you up five savoury recipes in five days, an unheard-of feat in the history of All Day I Dream About Food. Rest assured, it’s not going to become standard practice; I just happen to be part of a fun cooking challenge that uses only savoury ingredients and requires 5 recipes in 5 days. And all of these were created and written before Tim’s accident, thank goodness, so I barely have to lift a finger for them.
But I didn’t want to flood your inboxes and feeds with savory low carb recipes without first leaving you with some sort of heavenly low carb dessert recipe to balance it out. Yes, it is another pumpkin recipe, and who knows, it may be my pumpkin swan song for this year. But I had an open can of pumpkin puree from my low carb Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins and some low carb sweetened condensed milk that also needed using. And I had an anniversary date with my husband in the hospital, so whipping up a pumpkin flan for us to celebrate just seemed like the right thing to do!
Pumpkin Flan – Low Carb and Gluten-Free
- 1/4 cup xylitol
- 1/4 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp molasses
- Butter small 8 ramekins (3 to 4 inches in diameter) and preheat oven to 325F.
- For the caramel sauce, combine xylitol, Swerve, water and molasses in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute. Set aside.
- For the flan, combine pumkin, eggs, sweetened condensed milk, cream, sweetener, cinnamon, vanilla and stevia in a medium bowl.
- Whisk until well combined and smooth.
- Divide caramel sauce between prepared ramekins.
- Divide flan mixture between prepared ramekins.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until flan is just set in center.
- Remove and let cool.
- To serve, run a sharp knife around the edges of the flan to loosen and flip out onto plate.
- Un-served flans can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and kept in the refrigerator.