This easy Low Carb Ranch Chicken recipe practically cooks itself. Made in your slow cooker, it’s paleo-friendly and totally dairy-free.
Raise your hand if you love your slow cooker! Raise your hand if you love ranch seasoning! Raise your hand if you want a low carb ranch chicken recipe made in your slow cooker that doesn’t contain a whole bunch of icky MSG and other unmentionables! Hey, I see lots of hands raised out there, so guess what? You’re in luck. Today we have a wonderful Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken that is both paleo and keto, and absolutely delicious. Bonus points that it contains bacon and is totally dairy-free. This easy recipe comes from The Big Book of Paleo Slow Cooking by Natalie Perry. And you will absolutely love it.
Okay, confession that Natalie is actually a blogger friend, but the book is fantastic and I highly recommend it. While Paleo diets and Low Carb diets have a lot in common, there are also some significant differences. Paleo excludes dairy and includes a lot of higher carb, starchy vegetables and fruits that I can’t eat. But a quick perusal of the book indicated that there were plenty of recipes that still met my low carb standards and quite a few that could be easily modified to meet them. And while I have no fear of dairy products and use them liberally in my own cooking, I do love having more dairy-free options on hand.
What was really hard was choosing a single recipe to share with you. I actually made the Buffalo Chicken Dip over the Labour Day weekend but it was late, friends were coming over, and I did not have time to take any photos. Plus I have a child who has an absolute OBSESSION with all things Buffalo flavour and he was into that dip faster than I could blink an eye. So it got gobbled up and I decided I needed to choose another recipe altogether.
Need a bit of extra chicken for salads and other easy meals? Try this Crockpot Chicken Breast from Fifteen Spatulas. A great all purpose recipe!
There were a couple that caught my eye, including the Chicken & Sausage Pepperoncini Stew. I love pepperoncini and was very tempted by that one. But then I noticed the Ranch Chicken recipe and was very intrigued because you put the chicken breasts right into the slow cooker with no liquid or oil. I admit, I was sceptical. I thought for sure the chicken would get overcooked or burnt that way. I even messaged Natalie, asking if I was reading it right. She confirmed it and so I proceeded to make it exactly as the recipe was written. And it was fantastic! Easy and flavourful, and it made a wonderful keto dinner recipe. Bravo, Natalie! And thanks for the tip that slow cookers will cook the chicken without any additional liquids.
It’s also tasty with a little shredded cheddar cheese on top. Just sayin’. Yeah, I know that’s not exactly paleo…
Check out Natalie’s book on Amazon! Click HERE
This easy Low Carb Ranch Chicken recipe practically cooks itself. Made in your slow cooker, it's paleo-friendly and totally dairy-free.
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried chives
- 1 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 1 1/2 tsp steak seasoning I used a basic steak rub
- 3 shallots peeled and sliced
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 12 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Additional sea salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients in an airtight container.
- Place the chicken breasts in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp of the ranch mix and the steak seasoning. Add the shallots.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through. Add the broccoli and cook another 30 to 45 minutes, until tender-crisp. Meanwhile, cook the bacon until crisp.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return to the slow cooker...do not drain any of the juices that have accumulated.
- Stir in the mayonnaise and vinegar. Crumble the bacon and stir into the mixture. Season to taste with additional salt.