This easy Low Carb Ranch Chicken recipe practically cooks itself. Made in your slow cooker, it’s paleo-friendly and totally dairy-free.
Raise your hand if you love your slow cooker! Raise your hand if you love ranch seasoning! Raise your hand if you want a low carb ranch chicken recipe made in your slow cooker that doesn’t contain a whole bunch of icky MSG and other unmentionables! Hey, I see lots of hands raised out there, so guess what? You’re in luck. Today we have a wonderful Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken that is both paleo and keto, and absolutely delicious. Bonus points that it contains bacon and is totally dairy-free. This easy recipe comes from The Big Book of Paleo Slow Cooking by Natalie Perry. And you will absolutely love it.
Okay, confession that Natalie is actually a blogger friend, but the book is fantastic and I highly recommend it. While Paleo diets and Low Carb diets have a lot in common, there are also some significant differences. Paleo excludes dairy and includes a lot of higher carb, starchy vegetables and fruits that I can’t eat. But a quick perusal of the book indicated that there were plenty of recipes that still met my low carb standards and quite a few that could be easily modified to meet them. And while I have no fear of dairy products and use them liberally in my own cooking, I do love having more dairy-free options on hand.
What was really hard was choosing a single recipe to share with you. I actually made the Buffalo Chicken Dip over the Labour Day weekend but it was late, friends were coming over, and I did not have time to take any photos. Plus I have a child who has an absolute OBSESSION with all things Buffalo flavour and he was into that dip faster than I could blink an eye. So it got gobbled up and I decided I needed to choose another recipe altogether.
There were a couple that caught my eye, including the Chicken & Sausage Pepperoncini Stew. I love pepperoncini and was very tempted by that one. But then I noticed the Ranch Chicken recipe and was very intrigued because you put the chicken breasts right into the slow cooker with no liquid or oil. I admit, I was sceptical. I thought for sure the chicken would get overcooked or burnt that way. I even messaged Natalie, asking if I was reading it right. She confirmed it and so I proceeded to make it exactly as the recipe was written. And it was fantastic! Easy and flavourful, and it made a wonderful keto dinner recipe. Bravo, Natalie! And thanks for the tip that slow cookers will cook the chicken without any additional liquids.
It’s also tasty with a little shredded cheddar cheese on top. Just sayin’. Yeah, I know that’s not exactly paleo…
Check out Natalie’s book on Amazon! Click HERE
Keto Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken
This easy Low Carb Ranch Chicken recipe practically cooks itself. Made in your slow cooker, it's paleo-friendly and totally dairy-free.
Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried chives
- 1 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 1 1/2 tsp steak seasoning (I used a basic steak rub)
- 3 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 12 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Additional sea salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients in an airtight container.
- Place the chicken breasts in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp of the ranch mix and the steak seasoning. Add the shallots.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through. Add the broccoli and cook another 30 to 45 minutes, until tender-crisp. Meanwhile, cook the bacon until crisp.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return to the slow cooker...do not drain any of the juices that have accumulated.
- Stir in the mayonnaise and vinegar. Crumble the bacon and stir into the mixture. Season to taste with additional salt.
Looking for delicious low carb, high fat recipes that really satisfy? Check out my new cookbook, The Everyday Ketogenic Kitchen.