Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Truffles (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

Low Carb Peanut Butter Cookie Dough TrufflesI used to be relatively cool. I lived in a funky little neighbourhood in Boston, with lots of fun little shops and interesting people. And then I had a child. And then a second child. And suddenly, we were too many people for our little condo in the funky neighbourhood, and we started looking for bigger houses and better schools. And then I had a third child and I joined a book club. I believe that last bit was the death toll for any amount of coolness I once had. Don’t get me wrong, I love my book club, but it is so very suburbanite of me to belong to one and I can no longer fool myself that I am young and cool. But it’s okay. As it turns out, I quite like the older, less cool, suburbanite mother of three that I have become.

I hosted the last book club meeting, and a friend who is interested in the gluten free, lower carb way of life requested that I make something to fit that bill. It seemed like the perfect opportunity to try out another peanut flour recipe I had in mind. I’d noticed an interesting quality to peanut flour when I was working with it on the Flourless Chocolate Cakes I made for my husband’s birthday. When mixed with just butter, cocoa and sweetener, it had an almost fudge-like consistency, and it had me scheming on how I might use this quality to advantage. I had no clue if it would work, but I thought it might make an excellent peanut-buttery center to a truffle. Cookie-dough truffles are all the rage these days, so why not a low carb, gluten free version?

Low Carb Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Truffles

The Results: Working with low carb and gluten free ingredients has challenged my creativity in the kitchen and I daresay that I am a better cook and baker than I was before. When I notice how a certain ingredient behaves, I start thinking about how I might use it in other ways, and it usually works in my favour. It certainly worked out in this case! These were so tasty and quite easy to make, and I was proud to serve them to everyone, even those who had no reason to be eating low carb or gluten free. Everyone said they liked them and I don’t think they were just being polite, as I saw at least two women go back for seconds. My husband and I enjoyed eating the leftovers over the next few days. I didn’t share them with the kids…they still have lots of candy left over from Halloween and Christmas, so these were mine!

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Truffles

Filling:
5 tbsp butter
1/4 cup peanut butter (preferably natural)
1/4 cup granulated erythritol
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup peanut flour – 12% fat variety

Coating:
2 tbsp butter
3.5 ounces 85% to 90% cacao chocolate

For the filling, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place butter and peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl, and melt together in the microwave, stirring occassionally.

Stir in erythritol, stevia and vanilla. Add peanut flour in three batches, stirring to combine well each time. Dough will get quite stiff towards the end.

Working with about 1/2 a tablespoon at a time, roll dough between palms into round balls. Place on baking sheet and freeze until very firm, about 1 hour.

For the coating, melt butter and chocolate together in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth.

Using a toothpick, spear peanut butter balls one at a time and dip into chocolate. Tap lightly against the side of the pan to remove excess chocolate. Place back on parchment-lined baking sheet Repeat with remaining balls and refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.

You will end up with leftover melted chocolate but you need to have enough to be able to dip the balls properly. Just set it aside for ice cream topping or eating on its own!

Makes 24. Each truffle has a total of 4.4g of carbs, but only 2.4g if you subtract erythritol. And in reality, it is actually less, as I had to factor in all of the coating to get an accurate carb count, but had quite a bit left over.

Comments

looks beautiful this would be lovely homemade gifts

2. Lauren at KeepItSweet says:

What does the erythritol do? Is there anything else you could use as a replacement?

3. Peanut butter and chocolate the best combo ever! These look so good. You are convincing me to find some peanut flour and experiment!

4. Sugar Free Low Carb says:

These looks similar to the peanut butter balls I used to make. Glad you are discovering more ways to use the peanut flour and sharing it with us.

5. Three-Cookies says:

Looks absolutely divine, just looking at it makes me drool…

Here's another low carb recipe that uses oats. It has sugar but you can easily substitute: http://easilygoodeats.blogspot.com/2010/11/no-bake-chocolate-oat-squares.html

6. A little bit of everything says:

yup, cookie dough balls are in trend, yours is the third one I read today :))
    the photos are stunning as usual

i wanted to join a book club too but couldn't find one close to house :(

enjoy the rest of the weekend, Carolyn

7. Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet } says:

These look super divine! Funny how life changes and what we think is cool just changes. You are now doing cool things just wrapped up a in a different package. I just recently joined a book club and really enjoy it. We are reading – "On the corner of bitter and sweet". Happy Sunday!!

8. I've never been cool ;)

These look fabulous! I am surprised you had leftovers, I would have been a bit greedy if I were a member of your book club hehe. I was thinking the other day that I wanted to make something peanut buttery chocolatey! These are perfect.

PS Lindt is my fave chocolate for baking!

9. All That's Left Are The Crumbs says:

These look delicious. I love peanut butter and chocolate, especially dark chocolate. I don't know if I could stop at eating one or too.

I love your truffles, so please ignore the fact that I'm mumbling under my breath about how you don't even look like you're old enough to have graduated college, let alone to have three kids, doggonit.

I wish I could find a book club by me, but I had to settle with being on our housing association's social committee. How lame is that? Not cool.

11. Nancy/SpcieFoodie says:

Peanut butter and chocolate are always a hit in my tummy. I love these little truffles you created. The look like the perfect companion to a good book and a cup of tea. P.S. I don't think book clubs are uncool :)

12. oh WOW these look great! I'm curious along with Lauren – what does the erythritol do? My book club would love these, too – can't wait to test them out!

13. Wow, those look incredibly decadent…with the perfect texture! Yummy!

14. Beth and Lauren and anyone else…erythritol is a low carb sweetener so you could easily sub sugar in this recipe. If you wanted to, you could omit erythritol and stevia and put in 3/4 cup of sugar or so. You might have to experiment with it to get the sweetness you want.

15. I think you are cook, just now in the other way. You re making such cool things in the kitchen !! :)
    These truffles look amazing :) Can't imagine more perfect truffles at least yet :)

16. Chef Dennis says:

those truffles look outstanding!! I would have no problem devouring those tasty little treats…thanks for a great gluten free recipe!
    Cheers
    Dennis

17. These are lovely! I made some peanut butter truffles this week too (my post will be up later)so there must be something in the air up here in MA this week! :D

18. Kate @ Diethood.com says:

These deserve an OMG! Chocolate and PB and then you throw cookie dough in the mix? Oh dear…I'm in love!

19. Imwaytoobusy says:

I may have visions of chocolate and PB all night long :) These look (and sound) amazing!

20. TheFlavourJunkie says:

Carolyn, these definitely have the wow factor. They look amazing and i'm sure they taste even better! I wish I had some of these around my house. I didn't get halloween candy, you know!?

21. these are gorgeous! they look amazing and would be perfect as a gift!

22. Oh Carolyn..those look absolutely amazing! I am just speechless, picture perfect!

23. Um, 1. You're still cool!!!! 2. What neighborhood in Boston? (I'm from MASS!!!) and 3. These look SUPER tasty! Happy Sunday!

24. Carolyn I'm sure you are still cool. I love stopping in because you always have creative ideas and use ingredients that I haven't neccesaraly tried and I do love the way you go into the results of what you cooked. Thanks for your time and your site. I always enjoy it. B:)

25. Carolyn you have done it again! I know you hear that all the time. These look oh so good. My mouth is totally watering:)

26. Forget about being gluten-free, is it really possible that these truffles are low-carb too? How you manage to make all these tasty treats healthy is beyond me! That to me is real coolness, Carolyn!

27. Stephanie says:

Girl, you are so funny with your cool-to-not-cool story. :-p I still think you're cool, tho. LOL No, actually you're kewl. There yah go. Your little truffles look so cute! Would be a perfect little gift, me thinks. Like little morsels of goodness. Love it.

28. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says:

I'm always amazed at the heathy (healthier) treats you come up with! I could eat these all day!

PS~Did you get my twitter or foodbuzz message?

I am envious of your kitchen creativity. I am getting more comfortable in the kitchen but still prefer to lean on cookbooks or other recipes. It's always fun to see what you are making. These look so delicious! No doubt my guy would love these.

30. Divine Treat!!!

31. You are so talented at making wonderful gf recipes that everyone and anyone likes. Those truffles look wonderful.

32. Feast on the Cheap says:

Ummm, there are no words. These look too good!

33. Now you're a cool mother of 3 who makes awesome chocolate peanut butter desserts for her book club gatherings. How fun!

34. Wow, those look amazing! I'm certain your book club loved them!

35. Cajun Chef Ryan says:

I take a couple dozen of these now!

36. Charlie @ SweetSaltySpicy says:

These truffles look so good. Dark chocolate and peanut butter is always a winning combo!

37. Boulder Locavore says:

Oh Carolyn…we ARE still cool! We could not have been cool and have that taken away when taking on child rearing. It's such a universal theme born of thinking outside ourselves to our children as a priority. It's not gone, just not leading the way RIGHT NOW (it's just a moment in time!). Shall we make a 'no Mom jeans' pact at a minimum?!

The treats are delicious looking (the photos divine as always) and my fave sweet flavor combo. Totally agree on the skills expansion now being gluten free too.

38. These look so outrageous I totally wish I had one right now. Or two, or three!

39. Tanvi@SinfullySpicy says:

Hello Carolyn,
    I m amazed at the collection of terrific recipes on your blog..I m so much to try from the baked goodies here.These truffles look heavenly!So happy to have found you.

40. Carolyn-It's almost hard to believe these yummy little peanut butter truffles are low-carb. They are so tempting, and pretty…ready to eat in one bite…but of course, I see the teethmarks..hee, hee, so they're two bites. Delicious!!!

41. BakingWithoutaBox says:

I love these! My other mother makes something similar for me every Christmas.
    We still think you're cool. Book club or no. Lol. Besides, now you have extra people to feed all your yummy treats.

42. baking.serendipity says:

This looks like a hip and cool dessert to me :) Yum!

43. seeing the bite marks is causing some major drooling on my part. the texture inside is awesome!! gahhh i just wanna grab one through this darn computer screen!!!!! :P

44. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having says:

These look really good! I love the picture. They remind of a snack I had in a spa once, peanut butter and coconut balls. There was no sugar in them, but they really didn't need any.

And I'd bet good money that you're the coolest mom in the neighbourhood.

45. Megan@foodalution.com says:

mmmm.. love it Carolyn! Too funny that your kids still have Halloween candy left over. :-) And I joined a book club too…. I hear ya! – megan

46. Belinda @zomppa says:

WHATever! With these truffles, you are proving you're still hip and cool and that doesn't look to be changing anytime soon.

47. CONGRATS ON TOP 9!!!! I am so happy that I saw these truffles on top 9 list, awesome!

48. Sandy - Everyday Southwest says:

Congrats on making the to p 9!
    And yes, the book club thing will do it!
    It did it to me, too.

49. All That's Left Are The Crumbs says:

Congratulations on making Top 9!

50. meltingbutter.com says:

I can very easily imagine how great they taste :)

• This is so funny, I can’t believe we ptseod practically the same recipe! I haven’t found any problem with erythritol crystallizing in my recipes, I wonder what’s up with that? My cheesecakes were made with erythritol except for the crust and no crystallization at all. Is it the brand, I wonder? I’ve been using ZSweet lately because I found a good deal on Amazon.

51. Personally, I think you're super cool. I mean, you make PEANUT BUTTER TRUFFLES. What could be cooler and more addictive than that? You're basically like a drug dealer. Except that instead of narcotics, you deal in delicious baked goods. Way better if you ask me.

52. little beauties! pics look awesome – wish i could grab one from your blog pics :P

53. Bookclubs are awesome! And I definitely think you're still cool for being in one! And these truffles look outstanding!

54. kitchenarian says:

These look wonderful. I am going to make them for my book club!!
    Congrats on Top 9!

55. Wow, those look simply divine!! Congrats!!! :)

56. Wow, who would have ever thought these were gluten free? They look positively scrumptious, and what a great way to rise to the challenge. BTW, I like to think we're in the same "later in life cool club," ha ha!

57. freshandfoodie.com says:

Dang girl! You're not messin' around with these. And heck, I'd come to your book club too if I knew these would be there. :)

58. Island Vittles says:

Congrats on the Top 9! No kidding your creative side has come out — these are to die for! Theresa
    PS I love my bookclub too — and I`ve redefined the word cool to make sure bookclubs are alrightfit in just fine.

59. Kim - Liv Life says:

I am simply at a loss for words to describe how good these look!! I'm thinking just… OMG Good!!!
    Congrats on the Top 9 on this one… I think they should leave it up all week!!! Wow!!

60. The Souper says:

Very impressive and a must try!

The Souper

61. Carla Meine says:

Oh you have inspired me. I've been experimenting with almond flour for a flour less cake. Now I'm thinking of how I could make Almond Truffles. Thanks and Congrats on the top 9.

62. Sandy @everydaysouthwest says:

Hi, again! Sorry about the mix up on the Mini Apple Chimichanga post! Thanks for letting me know! The link should be OK now.

I love your post on the Gingerbread Cream Cheese Muffins! They are on my grocery list as we speak!

Congrats again on top nine again!

63. thanks for the recipe! i can't wait to try them. i love that they are GF (for my dad) and i can make them with non-sugar sweeteners (my husband is diabetic – and so i am sure he thanks you too!).

64. OMG these look amazing. Will you mail me some? Ha! :)

65. Oooh, these remind me of Reese's in a way better and more beautiful way :) You are still cool even if you're in a book club, and as long as you make them snacks like this you'll be the coolest member of the group, I promise!

66. briarrose says:

Beautiful truffles!

67. She's Cookin' says:

Absolutely divine truffles! Congrats on the Top 9!

68. UrMomCooks says:

Genius! I am picturing you scheming how to use a new-found food sensation in unknown new ways!!! (I do the same thing…) So glad this scheme worked out perfectly! These look awesomely wonderful!!! A few popped in a cute Valentine box would be just divine!

69. Thank you for this great recipe! I'll be making those this weekend! (Although in a small quantity… because otherwise the overeating which will follow from having those around will destroy all the benefits of the low-carbness :D )

70. christine says:

Congrats on the FB top 9!

71. Ashley Craft says:

These look amazing!! They would be perfect for Valentine's Day! :)

72. Lisa @ tarte du jour says:

I happen to think you are very cool….if you came up with these peanut butter gems! They remind me of an upscale version of the "buckeye." Yummmm. Congrats on the top nine!

73. Wow these look amazing ! I need to go out and find the ingredients to make them.

74. These look REDONKULOUSLY GOOD! They look a little bit guilt free, too! I will be making them soon… THANKS!

75. mylifeissweet says:

you've killed me with these. and i couldn't be more grateful!

76. sophiesfoodiefiles says:

MMMMMMMMMM,..these look superb, Carolyn!! Superb & tasty balls!

77. The Food Hunter says:

one of my favorite combos…

78. I was very excited to stumble across your blog today. I cook with alot of the same ingredients and it's fun to find someone else that uses erythritol and stevia. I am looking forward to poking around a little more :)

79. thepickyeater says:

looks YUMMY !!!
    do check out my food blog :

80. Not sure if you will see this, but I don't see another way to contact you… I'm in Canada and am having a heck of a time finding peanut flour… so, if I end up just SOL, could I substitute almond or coconut flour? Would you bother? I imagine you can think of something I'd need to add if not using peanut flour. And boo to our damn limited Canadian markets!

81. Hi Erin,

Almond flour definitely won't behave quite the same way. Peanut flour is very dense and soaks up a lot of moisture. I'd go ahead and try the almond flour, but you may need to add more of it to get the balls to hold together. And next time you're in the US, get some peanut flour and smuggle it home! I am from Canada originally, as it happens, and my family orders things sent to my house here in Boston and then picks it up when they come to visit!

82. Got some shipped to me via a low carb place here in Canada. Made the truffles just now (best part was eating the dregs in the bowl!), they are in the freezer right now and I'm about to do the chocolate coating.

I also did your chocolate mint wafers (Girl Guide ones) but my chocolate wasn't drippy enough, I had to use the forks to kinda scrape (well, it was melty but not as much as I think it should have been!)… so I am fearing the same thing with this chocolate coating escapade. Last time I used 70% Cacao Lindt, this time I will go 'by your book' and do the 85% and see if it is better! Any tips if it isn't?!

83. Carolyn says:

Hi Erin. Hope you see this in time! If your chocolate isn't melty enough to coating, just add a touch of vegetable oil or butter (a tsp or so at a time until you get the right consistency for coating). I wonder why your Lindt isn't melting right? I don't know that the amount of cacao would make that much of a difference. Make sure your heat isn't too high, as that can thicken the chocolate too. Low only, or if you need to, a metal bowl set over simmering water.

84. OMG… did it! And OMFG, they are to die for!! For some reason the 85% bar chocolate did seem to be runnier…?! But I also tink I had the the heat too high last ime, and yes I did the bowl over simmering pot.

85. We could bake this truffle in different shape. I have made in square shape one week ago. I will surely bake peanut butter dough truffle tomorrow.

86. Carolyn,
    I recently discovered your blog and I am so happy that I did! I love your writing style (it’s like I’m reading a letter from a friend), your photographs always make me hungry and, certainly not least, your recipes -they are smart, simple and scrumptious. I appreciate so much that you use basic, easy-to-find, NATURAL ingredients. Erythritol, stevia, nut flours, whey protein powder, xanthan gum, almond milk, Greek yogurt -all staples in my kitchen. I never have to go shopping to make your recipes; I LOVE that! I also appreciate the back story in each of your recipes, and especially your invaluable “The Results” section, where you give us honest feedback on what to expect.

A few months ago I purchased peanut flour from Trader Joe’s on a whim. Unfortunately, once I had it at home I did not know what to do with it (although I did find a spicy peanut scallop recipe online that I must try next time I have some big scallops!) I put the vacuum packed bag in my fridge to keep it as fresh as possible. Then, this last Monday night I found your Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Truffles recipe. Oh – my – goodness! I went to bed thinking about these! I made them last night and had one first thing this morning. These are soooo good! They are delicious, elegant peanut butter cups! The recipe is so quick and easy to make (fastest and easiest candy EVER!) And the ingredients are simple and natural, which I really appreciate.

I did add ¼ teaspoon salt because I used unsalted butter and unsalted peanut butter. I thought it would help bring out the flavors and balance out the sweet. It was the perfect amount – for my taste. My husband gets home tomorrow (the reason I made these), so I’ll get his feedback then. I am not sure if it did anything, but I also added ½ teaspoon of carob/guar/acacia/xanthan gum mix to it because I have confirmed that (in fudge) it helps conceal the cooling effect of erythritol. You did not mention anything about this cooling effect in this recipe, so I may have wasted my product in this application, but I wanted to play it safe. Lastly, since I still cannot afford the carbohydrates of real chocolate, I made my own, sweetened with stevia and erythritol. I have not perfected my recipe, but it comes out better every time. And as a thin coating on these lovely truffles it does not ruin your recipe at all. Actually, like I said, they were truly delicious.

I do have two questions:
    1) Did you notice any cooling effect with the erythritol, or is there so little of it in this recipe that it does not come through? (I'm just wondering if I need to add my xanthan gum mix or not.)

2) Is there a reason as to why you specify “granulated” erythritol? The truffles are a perfect, not-too-sweet taste. The granulated erythritol adds a sugary crunch that I honestly cannot decide if I like or not. It’s kind of neat, since there is absolutely no cooling sensation, it really does feel like I am crunching through real sugar. But I wonder if powdered erythritol might not make a smoother/creamier (or duller?) truffle. I thought perhaps you went with granulated over powdered since more granules in the powdered might mean more surface area, which might lead to more of a cooling effect. (?) But I might be over-thinking it.

I know you are very busy -sorry I wrote so much. Thanks for taking the time to provide so many people with your wonderful ideas, photos and delicious recipes!

Gabriela

87. Hi Gabriela,
    So glad you liked these truffles. Let me see if I can address the issues you mention…
    First, I did not find any cooling sensation with these at all. When I use erythritol in lower amounts, like 1/4 cup, along with stevia, I don't generally get the cooling sensation. Someone else gave me the tip about xanthan gum, though, for concentrated erythritol. That's a good one!
    Second of all, I didn't find a sugary crunch with the erythritol at all. I wonder if it's the brand? I usually use Zsweet, which is erythritol with a bit of stevia. A lot of people say that their erythritol crystallizes out of things like this and things like cheesecake, but I rarely, if ever, have that problem when I use Zsweet. But powdered erythritol would be fine here too.
    I made these quite some time ago and since then, have come up with a pretty good chocolate ganache made from unsweetened chocolate and cocoa, so let carbs than using Lindt or some other chocolate. I used it here on this Boston Cream Pie, although probably much more than you need for these truffles. Feel free to try it if you make them again!

88. Thank you, Carolyn for your quick reply. I don't remember which brand of granular erythritol I bought. I know it was from Netrition and it was either Sensato (my powdered source) or NOW. Either way, I stock Zsweet as well, so I will certainly try that next time. Which brings up a question: If, instead of erythritol, I use Zsweet (which has stevia in it already), do I still add the 16 drops of stevia?

And one last question (I promise!), does the chocolate glaze from your amazing Boston Cream Pie actually set, or should I adjust your recipe to get it to solidify for the truffles?

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions, in addition to your wonderful blog!

Gabriela

89. Hi Gabriela,
    I use Zsweet and other brands of erythritol almost interchangeably, and I always add some stevia. I don't think Zsweet has all that much stevia in it and I've always found that they really enhance each other's sweetness. So in this case, yes, still add the 16 drops of stevia extract.
    The chocolate glaze from the BCP would set. It won't get fully hardened, it will be a touch on the soft side. You might try doing a little less butter when doing it for the truffles, or keep them in the fridge when not being served.
    Have a great weekend!

90. Catherine H. says:

These were yummy, yummy, yummy. A little time-consuming to roll the balls in the ganache, but ultimately worth it. And don't anybdy do what I did–dumping a bunch of the balls in the ganache at once to roll around simultaneously and save time. They were still very cold from the freezer and they ended up doing more clumping than rolling. Duh!

91. Wow, Catherine, you went wild leaving comments. And you made some of my earliest recipes. Knowing what I know now, there are definitely things I'd change about a few of them, like the chocolate hazelnut cookies, that might make them better. Maybe someday I will go back and experiment. Thanks for all of your input!

92. Catherine H. says:

You're welcome! One thing I can't stand on a cooking blog is comment after comment that says nothing more than "OMG! That looks great–can't wait to make it!" Everyone has a right to express his excitement, of course, but I'm personally looking for something more constructive. I love to hear others' experiences when they try a recipe, so I also try to share mine. And thank you for all the work you do on this blog–it's your recipes alone that are getting me through my current pregnancy without my usual 50+ lb. weight gain.

93. These look delicious! I’m adding a link to them to my Gluten-Free Valentine’s Day Recipe Roundup I’m posting tomorrow. Hope you can stop by. :)

94. AWE-MAZING !! Made last night with all the same ingredients, used powdered erythritol and actually added a scoop of vanilla whey protein. Added a dash a almond milk to help with the whey and dipped them in the Lindt chocolate! Super easy, super delicious! So good actually that my husband left a note begging I make more before he gets home! Oh, and instead of the liquid stevia I used a dash of the nunaturals powdered pure stevia!! So good! Thanks for the great recipe!

95. These truffles were SOOOOO AWESOME !!! I brought them to Thanksgiving dinner for a dessert. I’d like to find a way to use that divine filling in another recipe, maybe some kind of a square? They’re best just taken out the fridge 5-10 minutes: a chilled treat that MELTS IN YOUR MOUTH – Thaaaaanks Carolyn !!!

96. I just made these and OMG! Amazeballs!! So tasty, just like Reese’s Peanutbutter Cups, but better! I will be making these for the rest of my life I know it LOL