London Broil with Creamy Blue Cheese Horseradish Sauce

My computer is sick, so this is going to have to be a quick post before I take it in to the doctor. Figures that after the winter we had with all of the bugs going around, even my computer would catch a virus! It started behaving a little oddly on Sunday, and hasn’t gotten any better, even with a few attempts at cleaning it up to kill the virus. Whatever is wrong, it is way beyond my or my husband’s capabilities to care for it, so we need to take it to the professionals. Poor little computer. It’s no fun being sick!

But I thought I’d ask one more task of my poor computer before I take it in, and that is to tell you about the wonderful meal we had the other evening. I saw this idea on a post from Babble.com, by Angie McGowan of Eclectic Recipes and I instantly knew I needed to make it. But I also knew I needed to change it. For starters, the original recipe included flour and I wanted to avoid that. Secondly, I had a chunk of blue cheese in the fridge that needed using and would have felt wasteful if I’d gone out to by Gorgonzola when the two flavours are so close. Finally, the original recipe included no instructions on how to cook the meat. Knowing that london broil can be tough and stringy if not cooked well, I did my research before going ahead.

As it turns out, London Broil is not a cut of meat at all, but a method of preparation. But you can hardly blame me or anyone else who didn’t know this, since many grocery stores actually label certain cuts as london broil. They are often referring to top round roast or flank steak, but in the case of what I found at the grocery store, it was actually a shoulder steak. This can be a tough piece of meat indeed, so I proceeded to both tenderize and marinate it before I broiled. I also sliced it very thinly against the grain when I served it. I changed the sauce by foregoing flour and adding some white wine, and of course, I subbed in blue cheese in place of the Gorgonzola.

The Results: I am so glad I took the time to research what I was getting when it came to London Broil. Because the meat was lovely and tender and juicy, and I believe the preparation aided in that immensely. And the sauce was sharp and flavourful, a good contrast to the rich meat. My only issue was that the horseradish seemed kind of lost, and my husband agreed, but he did point out that the particular brand of horseradish we had was not very strong as it was. Next time I would add an extra tablespoon to the sauce to increase its presence.

Besides the advance preparation, which didn’t take much effort, this was an incredibly quick dish to get to the table. Broiling beef doesn’t take long at all, so it makes for a great weeknight meal, especially if you have tenderized the meat and put it in the marinade earlier in the day. It’s a great way to jazz up an inexpensive cut of beef.

London Broil with Creamy Blue Cheese Horseradish Sauce

1/3 cup white wine
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup cream
1 to 2 tbsp grated horseradish
1 cup crumbled blue cheese
salt and pepper to taste

For the steak, tenderize by jabbing repeatedly with a fork on both sides. Season with salt and pepper. Combine lime juice and fish sauce in a shallow baking dish and add steak. Marinate for at least an hour, and up to 12 hours, flipping steak over once.

Preheat broiler, and broil steak 4 inches from heat source for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until nicely browned. Move to a lower rack and continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Steak should be medium rare, or 130-140F on an instant-read thermometer.

Let rest 5 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain for serving.

For the sauce, melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add wine and cook until reduced to a few tablespoons.

Add milk and cream and bring to simmer. Continue to cook until reduced by half. Stir in horseradish and cheese and whisk until cheese is mostly melted. Season with salt and pepper and spoon over sliced meat.

Comments

1. Susi's Kochen und Backen says:

This would be my husband's perfect meal! That sauce sounds fabulous and full of flavor and the meat is cooked perfect :o)

lovely presentation delicious

3. I love how you made this..mouthwatering photos as always and the recipe is fantastic..saving this!!!

4. savoringeverybite says:

I so agree, this is a cut of meat you need to give a bit of tlc to make tender! and your pics show a mouth-watering dish!! Not to mention the gorgonzola will win me over every time!

5. Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes says:

Love this – gorgeous photos and a delicious recipe!

I really like any type of blue cheese with red meat. So indulgent but so worth it.

Thanks for sharing!!

6. Claudie says:

Lovely! I will have to add my husband to Susi's as he loves blue cheese and that would be perfect for him.

7. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says:

Stunning photos! My husband's fav combo is red meat with blue cheese. He would positively love if I made this for him!

8. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel says:

Looks delicious! I wouldn't have known the difference either until you explained it. Good luck w/your computer sickness… stinky computers shouldn't get sick on us!

I'm not usually a big steak eater, but boy does this look good! Especially that sauce!!

10. LaPhemmePhoodie says:

Thanks for doing the leg work on how to prepare it. I've made it several times and it never really turned out that great because I did not learn how to cook it. I'm going to give it another shot because I really do love having this for dinner.

11. Kristen says:

That is one gorgeous hunk of meat. I love the sauce treatment, too. Here's hoping your computer is back to full health soon!

12. Cookin' Canuck says:

I would be happy to eat that sauce by the spoonful. That being said, your London broil looks fantastic – perfectly pink.

13. Carolyn says:

YUM. Man's best friend right there! I'm gonna have to try that sauce for the next steak dinner!

14. Lisa @ Tarte du Jour says:

Me want some meat! This looks deliciously decadent!

15. MikeVFMK says:

That meat looks just about perfect! I would probably eat it with my hands, it looks buttery! That's if I didn't drown it in that sauce. It might get messy that way. Lovely!

16. this is a perfect paring! looks delicious!

17. Kimmy Bingham says:

This is simply beautiful. I love blue cheese and to pair with horseradish = yum.

18. Parsley Sage says:

That meat looks cooked to perfection! Lovely photos of a lovely recipe. Well done!

19. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

Hi Carolyn! Wow the meat is done PERFECTLY! I like how you added the fish sauce. I love that taste and I never thought of using it for the meat! Such a great idea. Thanks for posting and I hope your computer will be fixed soon so you can post new recipe! ;-)

20. Big Boys Oven says:

get me a slice please!

21. Beautiful dish…my hubby would be in heaven!!! Will have to try :)

22. kitchenarian says:

My mother often prepared a London Broil when I was growing up. Whatever she did to it, it was always very tender and flavorful. I love your blue cheese horseradish sauce. Looking forward to trying it. Thanks.

23. Emily @ Life On Food says:

This looks amazing! Its 8am and I am drooling at work. I am a big fan of blue cheese and horseradish. I have never thought of combining the too. I love it! Thanks for sharing!

24. Tiffany says:

Could I slather this sauce all over some veggies? or rice? or potatoes? or pasta?!?!?!? :D It looks delish!

My mouth is watering just looking at the photos! Yummy!

26. sweetlife says:

sorry about your comp, but your adaptation of the recipe is amazing, the meat shoulder steak looks perfeclty tender and great save on the sauce, no waste!

sweetlife

27. Fresh and Foodie says:

Fabulous sauce! I love horseradish and of course blue cheese is always good. Great combo.

28. Kate@Diethood.com says:

Oh my, Carolyn, that is the perfect presentation of a London Broil… and that sauce…wow!! Beautiful!

29. Beloved Green says:

I'm drooling all over my keyboard. This steak looks juicy and amazing.

30. cajunlicious says:

Yummy! Just found your wonderful blog! New Follower!!!

- Jessica
    (All Things Cajun)

31. Bummer about your computer! That's always a drag.
    Your london broil looks so perfectly cooked…I can imagine how tender and delicious it was, especially with that sauce to accompany it!

32. Spicie Foodie says:

Hopefully your computer will be feeling better soon. Make sure you backup all your data. Don't learn the hard way like I did. Your London broil turned out fantastic. Your tips will definitely come in handy. This is one I really want to try. Thanks for sharing, love the blue cheese sauce too.

33. Love a quick and tasty london broil. Ill have to make myself some of that blue cheese horseradish sauce on the side!

34. I didn't know what London Broil was too until I read your post, partly because of ignorance and partly because we don't eat much red meat around here. So thank you for educating us! So sorry to hear about your computer, hope it gets well soon (haha, only the technologically attached will say this!)

35. Magic of Spice says:

Looks perfectly prepared, and love the idea of this sauce :)
    Hope your computer gets better soon.

36. The Self-Taught Cook says:

Looks delicious! Can't wait to try it! : )

37. Congrats on your top 9! This looks amazing!

congrats on the top 9 Carolyn

39. Diethood.com says:

Congrats on Top 9!!!

40. Jean @ Lemons and Anchovies says:

Thanks for the education on London Broil–I don't know my meats very well. But no matter what you call this, it looks perfectly prepared. And the sauce? I think I might end up eating it all by itself–meat optional! :-)

41. We love blue cheese on steak but never thought to mix it with horseradish, another one of our favorites. I'll have to give this sauce a shot! :)

London broil is one of my favorite modes of preparation. The less it's cooked, the happier I am.

Being a fan of horseradish and blue cheese, I think your sauce is a gem and I'm saving it to use now that it's grilling season! Many thanks.

43. I always make my London Broil the same way, with the same marinade. I'll have to break out of my box and attempt this recipe.

1. [...] I found a bleu cheese sauce on All Day I Dream About Food to pour drizzle delicately over the top of the steak.  And ohmyword…I want to eat this [...]