Bacon, Gruyere and Endive Quiche (Low Carb and Gluten-Free)

Yum

You may recall that I am part of a campaign for California Endive called OnDiva. I feel very fortunate to be a part of this campaign for a number of reasons. First, I am among a wonderful group of bloggers, all of whom I admire and respect for the work they do on their own blogs. I also gain more exposure for my own blog through the posts and retweets of my recipes by Discover Endive and my fellow OnDivas. But I think perhaps the best benefit to being a part of this thing is that I have been exposed to a healthy, flavourful vegetable that was heretofore unknown to me. I’d heard of endive but hadn’t tried it. Now, I can hardly get enough of it!

Endive really is a versatile veggie. It’s reminiscent of lettuce and makes a great base for salads. I like chopping some and tossing it into our regular green salads at dinner time, as it ups the nutritional quotient and my kids don’t even notice its presence. Because of the firmness of the leaves, it’s a wonderful healthy stand in for chips and crackers when you are serving dips and spreads. And I am discovering just how good it is when it’s cooked as well. When cooked, it loses that slight bitterness and takes on a more earthy flavour that I really enjoy. So you can see why it’s a rising star in the ranks of my favourite vegetables.

My assignment for this month was to highlight endive in a comfort food recipe. I had to put my thinking cap on for that one, because I think of endive as a little more “gourmet” than most comfort foods allow. I kept trying to think how I could fit endive into the usual soups and stews that I think of as comfort food. But when I thought of quiche, I knew I had my dish. Growing up, quiche in our house was comfort food. It was easy and relatively quick, and could contain any number of comforting ingredients…eggs, cheese, sausage, ham, bacon, whatever you wanted, really. I thought that sauteing the endive in a little leftover bacon fat, and then pairing it with the bacon itself and some eggs, would make a wonderful quiche. And as far as I am concerned, I was right on the money.

I made mine a crustless quiche, but this would be just as good baked in a pastry crust.

This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Discover Endive. All opinions expressed are mine.

Bacon, Gruyere and Endive Quiche

8 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
4 heads California endive
4 oz Gruyere cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
5 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/4 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 350F and grease a glass or ceramic pie plate well.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper-towel lined plate. Drain all but 1 tbsp of bacon fat from skillet.

Cut off root end of endive and slice into 1/2 inch slices. Add endive to skillet over medium-high heat and cook until wilted and soft, about 6 to 7 minutes.

Layer endive, bacon and shredded Gruyere in pie plate. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, garlic, salt and pepper until well-combined. Pour filling over endive, bacon and cheese in pie plate. Bake 30 minutes, or until top is puffy and golden brown and quiche is set and no longer jiggles when shaken.

Serves 6. Each serving has a total of 12.8 g of carbs and 10 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 2.8 g.

Comments

1. says

Love this recipe for breakfast, brunch or a comforting (and easy) dinner. Love the flavor combinations and that you sauteed the endive in bacon fat. Delicious!

2. says

Great recipe. I am so happy you share this recipe because I honestly don't know what to do with an endive. I have had them in salads before but that is no fun. Cannot wait to see some of the other ideas.

3. says

This reminds me of quiches my father used to make (quishi? quiched? lol). I was little and didn't have the taste for them yet. Yours makes me want to revisit them!

4. KeepItSweet says

I never really thought to eat endive in any way other than raw in a salad or as a chip substitute! Great idea, Carolyn!

5. says

I wouldn't have thought to put endive in a quiche. But I love your recipe…really, I was sold by the time I read bacon and gruyere! ha. Perfect brunch dish!

6. Diane says

This looks great, but I don't understand how the carb totals came out the way they did. You say that each serving has 12.8 carbs, minus 10 fiber = 2.8 net, but since most of these ingredients have little to no carbs at all, I'm wondering if that's actually the count for the whole quiche? Please enlighten me!

7. food_dreamer says

Hi Diane,

The endive actually has a lot of carbs…almost all of which is fiber! At least according to one nutrition website. The counts were different from each website I looked at. So the NET Carbs per serving should be correct.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

8. says

Hi Carolyn,

I LOVE this quiche and so do my 8 & 11-yr olds. We love eggs and my 11 yr old daughter said to make this every day during Spring break. It is an expensive quiche to make, as all the ingredients I bought were pretty expensive – organic stuff and I used uncured no nitrite beef bacon. I didn't even know what an endive looked like until this recipe.

My 8-yr old son said we need to buy endives more often and that he wants to try the curly kind, too. Anyway, this quiche is a hit at our house now and another dish I can add to make in the future. Thanks for the recipe and lovely photos.

Blessings,
    Doris

9. Philippe says

Endive is a staple in Belgium. This is a very good recipe and I’ve made it often. I use a stinkier Belgian cheese, Vieux Brugge, but gruyere is a very good substitution. One of our favorite endive (chicon) dishes is ‘chicon gratiné’. Its very delicious, but the secret lies with steaming the chicons for a couple of hours to the point where the exterior reaches a caramel brown color. Try it !