Sesame Garlic Eggplant (Low Carb and Gluten-Free)

Today I have nothing for you.  Nothing!  Well, okay, I do have a recipe and it’s a tasty one.  But I have almost nothing new to tell you, no little story, no little anecdote.  I was going to write about Camp  Blogaway and tell you what a wonderful experience it was.  But since it was such a wonderful experience, I don’t want to short-change it and I simply didn’t have time to write all of that.  Besides, I have a recipe idea to go with the Camp Blogaway experience and I haven’t had time to execute that.  So that post will have to wait and instead I am bringing you a simple eggplant dish.

Eggplant is something I eat quite a bit of these days.  I know some people are not so fond of eggplant and I wonder why, since to me it’s one of those foods that doesn’t really have a distinctive flavour on its own, but instead takes on the flavours of the other foods you add to it.  It’s sort of a “filler” vegetable, in my mind, one that adds bulk to the dish but isn’t the main flavouring.  I cook many ways, but I often use it sautes and stir-fries, along with other vegetables and lots of seasoning.  Eggplant lends itself well to seasoning and spice, as it just sort of soaks up whatever flavours you want it to take on.

In this case, I wanted to come up with a thick, garlicky sauce that coated the eggplant.  But I wanted to keep the flavours simple and clean, so that the garlic and the sesame could shine through.  Eggplant can soak up a lot of oil during cooking, so I held back the toasted sesame oil during the cooking process and instead used it as a finishing oil at the end, drizzling it on to keep the flavour fresh.  I thought this was a wonderful side dish, easy to prepare and a perfect low-carb accompaniment to chicken or fish.

Sesame Garlic Eggplant

1 medium eggplant
2 tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp soy sauce (GF)
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp sesame seeds, lightly toasted

Cube eggplant into 1/2 inch cubes and place in large colander or sieve set over a large bowl.  Sprinkle eggplant generously with salt, mixing to combine, and let drain at least one hour.

Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat until melted and froth is beginning to subside.  Saute eggplant until soft, 5 to 7 minutes.  Add garlic and saute until fragrant, 30 seconds.

In a small bowl, whisk together water, soy sauce and ground ginger.  Add to skillet and stir until eggplant is well coated.  Sprinkle evenly with xanthan gum and stir quickly to combine.  Sauce should thicken very quickly.

Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds.

Serves 6.  Each serving has a total of 6.5 g of carbs and 1.3 g of fiber.  Total NET CARBS = 5.2 g.

Comments

1. This looks amazing! We LOVE eggplant

2. I love eggplant, Carolyn! This looks and sounds awesome!

3. I grew into enjoying eggplant just within the past few years so I know I'd love this, especially with the garlic in there. It looks delicious.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that sits with 'nothing' sometimes. Hubby can always tell when that's happening because I go sit out on the back deck and watch the chickens. Don't know why I go to them for inspiration, but it usually helps. :)

4. RavieNomNoms says:

This looks AMAZING!! I am totally digging this…it actually looks so good that I want to try and make it this weekend! hehe

5. Gorgeous Eggplant dish!! Have a wonderful Weekend! ~ Ramona

6. i do wonder too why eggplant is not so popular !! anyway i love it and love your combo with garlic and sesame

7. justangiesrecipes says:

Simple, quick and delicious!

8. What a great way to prepare meaty eggplant, Carolyn! This looks so delicious!

9. Jeanette says:

This is one of my favorite ways to prepare eggplant. Can't wait for eggplant to show up at our farmer's market so I can make this.

10. stephday says:

I love sesame chicken and I love eggplant so I know I would love this! Great alternative to sesame chicken!

11. cookingrookie says:

I am collecting eggplant recipes lately. This one looks great :-). Added to my must try list. Thanks for sharing!

12. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

Sesame and soy sauce sounds like the perfect compliment to eggplant!

13. I'm not a fan of eggplant at all but you've made it look and sound so good! It's my first time on your blog and it is just wonderful! ^^

14. I was going to go the Italian route with the two eggplants I bought yesterday but this looks and sounds much more interesting.

15. I feel like I think I don't like eggplant, but I think it's just because I haven't eaten much of it. And this sauce sure looks good, which I'm sure means the eggplant tastes good! Hard to go wrong with flavors like this!

16. Emily @ Life on Food says:

Sometimes it is best just to post the recipe. This looks like a great one and I am trying to figure out how I can get my husband to eat it. I think it might end up being one just for me.

17. Love this — eggplant, quick AND easy! Oh, and YUM. Theresa

18. What a scrumptious recipe!

19. That looks delicious! I can't wait to make it.

20. I don't eat eggplant nearly enough – but the way this is prepared, I might have to start working it in more often!

21. Peg4Jesus7 says:

My dh never liked eggplant until I made it for him, and like many people who don't like it, I suspect it's because so many people don't know to salt/drain it before cooking. His mom never did, and it would end up tasting bitter. The salt/drain step is critical to drain out the bitter juice, especially if the eggplant is less than really fresh.

I love eggplant, probably because my Italian mother taught me how to make it :) She would also put a plate and a heavy weight on top to help press out the juice.

This looks so delicious, I can't wait to try it! Thanks!

22. Diane in Wisconsin says:

This is sooooo good. Thanks for the recipe. I bought eggplant plants in error for my garden. Now I am glad I did.

23. Sounds wonderful Carolyn! I do a similar dish with a splash of rice vinegar. LOVE eggplant!

24. I’ve never prepared eggplant before, but would like to try some of your eggplant recipes. They look yummy! Do you peel the skin before cutting into cubes?

25. what would you use instead of xantham gum if it doesn’t need to be gluten free?

1. [...] it for myself, but I thought I would take on the challenge of this recipe, the original found here: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/05/sesame-garlic-eggplant-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html. I make a few adjustments to the original, I added half a chopped yellow pepper that I had on hand [...]