I love it when I ask for recipe suggestions on my Facebook page because I always get some great inspiration. I recently had a craving for biscotti and asked what kind I should make and got a multitude of yummy sounds flavour suggestions. I never did get around to making the biscotti, but several people suggested a dark chocolate cherry flavour and that stuck with me. It stuck hard and fast and I just couldn’t shake it. And then my brain did that weird thing of melding two ideas into one (it’s very strange inside my brain, all sorts of random bits and pieces floating about until they come together as one fully-formed recipe). I had some sour cream that needed using and I envisioned it as the basis for a really moist cake. Cherry Dark Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake was born.
Cherries are not exactly low carb friendly and dried cherries are usually made with sugar so I had to mull this one over for a while. I had a mini bottle of cherry flavour in my baking cupboard, so I figured I could add a touch of that. But I also wanted chunks of cherries in there and I figured dried would be best. I did my research and found some unsweetened dried cherries on Amazon. They still aren’t exactly low carb, but I only used about ¼ cup and I chopped them quite finely. Even in that little amount, I felt somehow that they added more “authenticity” to my cake.
I also wanted a cherry flavoured glaze, and thought it would be lovely made with sour cream. It was definitely on the runny side and at first I worried it tasted a little too much like cherry-flavoured cough syrup. The Lorann Cherry Flavour I used can be a bit on the strong side. But in the end, it was the perfect thing for this low carb bundt cake. The cake had great texture and moistness from the sour cream, and it was studded throughout with bits of dark chocolate and cherries. The cherry flavour of the glaze wasn’t as overpowering once I had poured it over the cake. To my pleasant surprise, my kids were huge fans and we all devoured the whole thing in less than 24 hours. They loved it so much, I actually gave it to them for breakfast the next day.
Hey, when it’s a healthy, low carb cake, it makes as good a breakfast as anything else. And because it’s a treat in their eyes, I get bonus points. Winning over three little kids is tough, so I take it where I can get it.
Cherry Dark Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake – Low Carb and Gluten-Free
- 3 cups almond flour
- ¼ cup whey protein unflavoured
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup Swerve Sweetener or other erythritol
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon Cherry Flavour
- ¼ teaspoon stevia extract
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Dried Cherries finely chopped
- 1 3.5 ounce 85 or 90% cacao chocolate bar chopped
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup powdered Swerve Sweeteneror other powdered erythritol
- 3 tablespoon cream
- ⅛ teaspoon cherry flavour
- one tiny drop red food colouring paste optional
- For the cake, preheat oven to 325F and grease a bundt pan well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, whey protein, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat sour cream, erythritol and eggs together until smooth. Beat in cherry flavouring and stevia extract.
- Beat in almond flour mixture, then stir in chopped cherries and chocolate. Pour into bundt pan and smooth the top.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 15 minutes and then flip out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk sour cream, powdered erythritol, cream, cherry flavouring and food colouring together in a small bowl until smooth.
- Pour over cooled cake.