This is the ultimate keto chocolate cake recipe! It’s moist and rich, with a deep chocolate flavor and perfect texture. Dairy free options too.
You want the best keto chocolate cake? Okay fine, you asked for it! At the request of many readers, I am finally sharing the chocolate cake from The Ultimate Guide to Keto Baking.
This is the recipe that people rave about most after they purchase my book. This is the keto chocolate cake that wins everyone over, even the harshest keto critics.
This is the chocolate cake that no one can believe is low carb, sugar-free, and even dairy-free.
The secret to its fabulosity? Mayonnaise! Read on to find out more.
The Ultimate Keto Chocolate Cake
I have developed any number of low carb chocolate cake recipes in my day. There are so many wonderful ways to make it, all with little variations. Like Keto Texas Sheet Cake, or my low carb Slow Cooker Chocolate Cake.
But sometimes you want just want the classics. And what’s more classic than a moist two layer chocolate cake with creamy chocolate frosting?
When I wrote my book, I aimed for a good mix of both the classics and more unique recipes. I wanted to show people how amazing and versatile keto baking really can be. And I flatter myself that I achieved that goal.
So creating a really good keto chocolate cake was of the utmost importance. You can’t have a baking book that calls itself “The Ultimate Guide” without that, now can you?
But the response to this cake blew my mind. My readers and fans have gone nuts for it, have shared it with friends and family, and have sung its praises far and wide. And for that I am ever so grateful.
How to make Keto Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
Don’t be intimidated by this cake, as it’s actually quite easy to make. Be sure to check out the video in my recipe card for all the tips and tricks!
Grease and line your cake pans
Grease two 8 inch cake pans and then line them with parchment paper circles. You can buy pre-cut circles like these ones (very useful!), or you can simply cut them out yourself. This helps keep your cake from sticking, no matter how good, or not, your cake pans are.
Whisk the dry ingredients
This is an almond-flour based recipe, but you can try substituting sunflower seed flour if you need to be nut free. And the espresso powder is optional, but it does help deepen the chocolate flavor. I promise it won’t taste like coffee in the end.
Stir in the mayonnaise
Mayonnaise takes the place of butter and creates an unbelievably moist cake. It also makes the cake easier than many, because there is no need to cream the fat with the sweetener. One less step and one less bowl to clean!
Whisk in the other wet ingredients
The only other additions are eggs, water, and vanilla. Because it’s made with mayonnaise, this keto chocolate cake it totally dairy free.
Bake until just firm
Baking is said to be a science, but knowing when your cakes are done is more of an art, in my opinion. Every oven is different, and that’s why my recipes give you a range of bake time.
Tactile and visual cues are much more accurate. So in this case, you want the cake to feel firm to the touch, and spring back when lightly pressed.
How to frost keto chocolate cake
You have lots of options here and you are not limited to the dairy free frosting recipe I included. The sky’s the limit! Here are some other delicious ideas:
- Best Keto Chocolate Frosting
- Keto Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Chantilly Cream Frosting
- Sugar Free Peanut Butter Frosting
- Caramel Frosting (you will need to make 1.5 times the amount for a two layer cake).
- Cookies and Cream Frosting
Can you make keto chocolate cake in advance?
This is a great recipe for making ahead by a day or two. I think keto frosting are always best fresh, so I recommend making the cakes and frosting it on the day you plan to serve it.
The cake layers can be frozen, tightly wrapped, for up to 3 months. You can also freeze the finished cake, but the frosting may change consistency somewhat after it thaws.
More amazing keto cake recipes
- Keto Black Forest Cake
- Brownie Bottom Keto Cheesecake
- Cinnamon Walnut Coffee Cake
- Keto Devil’s Food Cake
- The Best Coconut Flour Cupcakes
Keto Chocolate Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease two 8-inch round cake pans. Line the bottoms of the pans with parchment and grease the parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, sweetener, cocoa powder, baking powder, espresso powder, and salt.
- Stir in the mayonnaise, eggs, water, and vanilla extract until well combined. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans and spread to the edges and smooth the tops.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until the cakes are just firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pans for at least 20 minutes, then flip out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Peel off the parchment paper.
Dairy Free Frosting
- Place the chocolate and 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Melt on high in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until smooth. Allow to cool to lukewarm. Alternatively, you can melt in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water.
- Place the remaining coconut oil in a large bowl. If it is very hard, microwave it for 15 seconds or so. It should be softe enough to beat without being melted. Add the cream cheese and beat until smooth. Add the sweetener and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Drizzle in the melted chocolate and beat again until smooth. Add the coconut milk a few tablespoons at a time until a spreadable consistency is achieved.
- Place one layer of cake on a large plate or cake platter. Top with one third of the frosting, spreading to the edges.
- Gently place the second layer of cake on top and spread the top with another third of the frosting.
- Spread the the sides with the remaining frosting.