Egg muffins are a delicious and easy keto breakfast option and perfect for prepping ahead. Packed with chorizo, cheese, and green onion, this Mexican-inspired egg muffin recipe is a surefire hit.
Mornings aren’t quite as hectic as they used to be, but I still love easy keto breakfast recipes that I can prep ahead in big batches. And keto egg muffins are just the thing to keep everyone healthy and satisfied.
I do love my sweet keto muffin recipes too, but sometimes I want to start my day with something savory and really low in carbs. I need protein and energy to recover after tough runs or workouts.
These Mexican-inspired egg cups with chorizo and cheese are so easy to make and full of flavor. And at only 1g carbs per muffin, you can easily eat two for breakfast, lunch, or even dinner.
Healthy grab and go breakfast
Egg muffins are exactly what they sound like: eggs baked in a muffin tin, often with additions like bacon, sausage, and chopped veggies. Sometimes they are called mini frittatas, or mini crustless quiche.
They’re a fabulous way to get some high quality protein and fats into your diet. And they are easy to prep ahead for a grab and go breakfast.
I made a batch of 12 egg muffins, but we loved them so much, I wished I’d doubled the recipe.
How to make the best Keto Egg Muffins
You really don’t need much to whip up a batch of egg muffins any old time. The basic ingredients are eggs, cream (or coconut milk for dairy-free), salt and pepper.
Beyond that, you can add in whatever floats your boat. I loved the spicy kick that the Mexican chorizo gave these muffins. But you can mess around with the basic recipe to suit your tastes.
A few fun ideas: cooked breakfast sausage, crumbled bacon, red pepper, broccoli and cheese, ham and cheese, spinach and feta, sautéed mushrooms. Egg muffins can be veggie packed and meatless, or a meat lover’s paradise. The sky’s the limit!
You will need a muffin tin, or two if you want to make a bigger batch. And I recommend silicone muffin liners to protect them from sticking. It also keeps my pan totally clean so there’s less work.
How to store and serve Keto Egg Muffins
Make a big batch of these egg muffins and sock them away in your fridge or freezer. You won’t regret it!
To store in the fridge: Let the muffins cool completely after cooking. Then simply place in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The cooked muffins will last for up to 4 days.
To freeze: Let the muffins cool completely and then place on a cookie sheet in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours. This flash freezing will help them keep their shape and also keep them from sticking together. Then take the frozen muffins and store in a sturdy freezer bag or an airtight container.
You can also wrap each egg muffin up individually in plastic wrap before storing in a larger container. Frozen egg muffins should last up to 3 months.
To reheat: For muffins stored in the fridge, you can simply heat them for 30 to 60 seconds in the microwave. Frozen muffins should be thawed first, and then rewarmed.
To rewarm them in the oven, preheat to 300F and give them up to 5 minutes to warm through.
More easy keto breakfast prep ideas
- Keto Sheet Pan Frittata
- Keto Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Keto Lemon Breakfast Cookies
- Spinach Quiche Cups
- Easy Italian Breakfast Casserole
- Savory Breakfast Cookies
Keto Chorizo Egg Muffins
- ½ lb Mexican chorizo (casing removed if it comes in links)
- 8 large eggs
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack
- 2 medium green onions, sliced (white and light green parts only)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, sauté the chorizo until cooked through and no longer pink, 7 to 8 minutes. While cooking, break up an clumps with the back of a wooden spoon. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line a muffin tin with parchment or silicone liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and cream until well combined. Stir in the chorizo, cheese, green onions, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared muffin cups and bake 25 to 30 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Remove and let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.