A delicious keto lamb kofta recipe, made extra easy in your air fryer. Great Middle Eastern flavor for a simple low carb dinner in minutes.
If you’re looking for more easy, flavorful keto dinners, look no further than this lamb kofta recipe.
I made mine in the air fryer, which made it quickly and with minimal clean up. But this is a versatile recipe and it can be done on a grill, a grill pan, or even baked in the oven.
And if you don’t happen to be a lamb fan, then you can make it with beef instead, in exactly the same way. Whatever you do, make it. Because this keto kofta recipe is juicy and delicious, with that unique combination of Middle Eastern spices.
Cinnamon, coriander, and cumin, oh my!
Inspiration for Air Fryer Lamb Kofta
I will admit that the inspiration for this keto recipe was my desire to play with my new toy, the Air Fryer Lid from Instant Pot.
Yes, you read that correctly. There is now a new lid that turns your Instant Pot into an air fryer, and these keto lamb kofta are proof that it works astonishingly well.
So if you already have an Instant Pot and you just don’t want another small kitchen appliance cluttering up your space, this might be something to consider.
Not only is it something to consider but I am actually giving one away! Scroll down to check out the giveaway.
Is kofta keto-friendly?
Whether or not kofta can be considered keto depends a great deal on what you add to it.
I researched a number of recipes and I came across that contained bread crumbs or milk-soaked bread, and some that contained copious amounts of onion. Neither of these options are particularly keto friendly.
I also saw a few that were mostly ground meat and spices, with a little garlic or grated onion. These easily could fit into a keto diet.
I decided to skip both the bread and the onion, to make a truly keto lamb kofta. Each serving has only 1.8 total carbs, and is as full of flavor as anything you might get for takeout.
How to make keto lamb kofta
Kofta is really quite similar to meatballs or hamburger patties, so it’s very simple to make. It can be served on skewers, which is fun but not necessary. And it can be grilled, pan-fried, or baked.
And of course you can easily cook it in an air-fryer too. Here are my best tips for making keto lamb kofta:
- Use lamb or beef, or even ground turkey, as you prefer. I love lamb, but I know not everyone agrees with me.
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl by hand. Yes, this means getting your hands dirty, but your mixture will be much more cohesive if you do it with your hands. Plus you need to form them by hand anyway!
- Make sure your spices are fresh so the best flavor comes through. Conventional wisdom says that you should only keep ground spices around for 6 months but I extend that to about 1 year.
- Kofta can be formed into patties, balls, or longer oval shaped logs. I like the oval logs for their more traditional shape, but it all tastes the same!
- Bamboo skewers are fun, but they don’t necessarily fit into every air fryer so you can skip them if you want. I did a few in my bigger Cuisinart air fryer with the skewers. Remember to soak them in advance if you do use them!
What to serve with keto lamb kofta?
Traditional kofta is served with pita bread, yogurt sauce, and sometimes rice. But for keto, we need to skip the bread and the rice.
I decided to serve mine very simply, with some cauliflower rice, fresh vegetables, and a little feta. It makes a wonderful keto dinner. And the leftovers make a great lunch the next day, too.
One lucky winner will receive an Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid and a copy of Easy Keto Dinners!
This is open to US residents only (sorry, but the cost of shipping to other locales is simply too much), who are 18 years of age or older.
Before entering, please be sure to check out the air fryer lid first, to make sure it will fit your Instant Pot: 6 Quart Air Fryer Lid from Instant Pot.
If you happen to own an 8 Quart instant pot, I am happy to send you that lid instead… but again, please make sure it fits your Instant Pot.
Easy Lamb Kofta
- 2 lbs ground lamb (can sub beef)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp black pepper
- If you plan to use bamboo skewers, soak them in water for at least 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and use your hands to mix well. Form into 12 oval shaped logs about 1 inch wide and 4 inches long. If using skewers, thread the logs onto the skewers.
- Air fry at 400F for 10 to 12 minutes, until nicely browned and the center of the kofta reaches at least 135F for medium. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
- You can also grill the kofta over medium heat, turning to brown all over, or bake at 375F.
I made this last night and it was really yummy.Had a side salad and tzatziki sauce with it. Now my hubby wants me to make bifteki. This is definitely going to be made again and again and again ;-))
This looks amazing! Never thought I could low carb and air fry!
This looks wonderful! Thanks!
Joy Venters says
just got an air fryer so I am just learning how to use it
Connie Tucker says
No, I’ve never tried cooking in an air fryer.
Louis A Davila says
I’ve tried my mother’s air fryer and I quite like it and would like one for myself.
Yamini Kalidindi says
Can’t wait to make this recipe. Looks amazing!
I didn’t know there was such a thing as an airfryer lid. I have an air fryer and enjoy using it but this would take up less kitchen space. I love your recipes. Thank you for sharing them and for offering this giveaway.
Leann W says
Fingers crossed! Would love to win something in this crazy 2020 year!!
Jennifer D. says
I have hard boiled eggs and a runny crack chicken dinner. ????
Loved using an air fryer, until mine broke! Perfect for wings, and all the meats and veggies!
Deanah Soto says
I have not tried an air fryer but would love to. I had an Instapot but gave it to my son who is in dental school. He has long hours in the clinic and needed it more than me. If I win the air fryer, I’ll give it to him so he can cook meals fast and healthy! Love your recipes!
Mel A says
This looks amazing!! Can’t wait to try it!