A delicious keto lamb kofta recipe, made extra easy in your air fryer. Great Middle Eastern flavor for a simple low carb dinner in minutes.
If you’re looking for more easy, flavorful keto dinners, look no further than this lamb kofta recipe.
I made mine in the air fryer, which made it quickly and with minimal clean up. But this is a versatile recipe and it can be done on a grill, a grill pan, or even baked in the oven.
And if you don’t happen to be a lamb fan, then you can make it with beef instead, in exactly the same way. Whatever you do, make it. Because this keto kofta recipe is juicy and delicious, with that unique combination of Middle Eastern spices.
Cinnamon, coriander, and cumin, oh my!
Inspiration for Air Fryer Lamb Kofta
I will admit that the inspiration for this keto recipe was my desire to play with my new toy, the Air Fryer Lid from Instant Pot.
Yes, you read that correctly. There is now a new lid that turns your Instant Pot into an air fryer, and these keto lamb kofta are proof that it works astonishingly well.
So if you already have an Instant Pot and you just don’t want another small kitchen appliance cluttering up your space, this might be something to consider.
Not only is it something to consider but I am actually giving one away! Scroll down to check out the giveaway.
Is kofta keto-friendly?
Whether or not kofta can be considered keto depends a great deal on what you add to it.
I researched a number of recipes and I came across that contained bread crumbs or milk-soaked bread, and some that contained copious amounts of onion. Neither of these options are particularly keto friendly.
I also saw a few that were mostly ground meat and spices, with a little garlic or grated onion. These easily could fit into a keto diet.
I decided to skip both the bread and the onion, to make a truly keto lamb kofta. Each serving has only 1.8 total carbs, and is as full of flavor as anything you might get for takeout.
How to make keto lamb kofta
Kofta is really quite similar to meatballs or hamburger patties, so it’s very simple to make. It can be served on skewers, which is fun but not necessary. And it can be grilled, pan-fried, or baked.
And of course you can easily cook it in an air-fryer too. Here are my best tips for making keto lamb kofta:
- Use lamb or beef, or even ground turkey, as you prefer. I love lamb, but I know not everyone agrees with me.
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl by hand. Yes, this means getting your hands dirty, but your mixture will be much more cohesive if you do it with your hands. Plus you need to form them by hand anyway!
- Make sure your spices are fresh so the best flavor comes through. Conventional wisdom says that you should only keep ground spices around for 6 months but I extend that to about 1 year.
- Kofta can be formed into patties, balls, or longer oval shaped logs. I like the oval logs for their more traditional shape, but it all tastes the same!
- Bamboo skewers are fun, but they don’t necessarily fit into every air fryer so you can skip them if you want. I did a few in my bigger Cuisinart air fryer with the skewers. Remember to soak them in advance if you do use them!
What to serve with keto lamb kofta?
Traditional kofta is served with pita bread, yogurt sauce, and sometimes rice. But for keto, we need to skip the bread and the rice.
I decided to serve mine very simply, with some cauliflower rice, fresh vegetables, and a little feta. It makes a wonderful keto dinner. And the leftovers make a great lunch the next day, too.
One lucky winner will receive an Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid and a copy of Easy Keto Dinners!
This is open to US residents only (sorry, but the cost of shipping to other locales is simply too much), who are 18 years of age or older.
Before entering, please be sure to check out the air fryer lid first, to make sure it will fit your Instant Pot: 6 Quart Air Fryer Lid from Instant Pot.
If you happen to own an 8 Quart instant pot, I am happy to send you that lid instead… but again, please make sure it fits your Instant Pot.
Easy Lamb Kofta
- 2 lbs ground lamb (can sub beef)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp black pepper
- If you plan to use bamboo skewers, soak them in water for at least 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and use your hands to mix well. Form into 12 oval shaped logs about 1 inch wide and 4 inches long. If using skewers, thread the logs onto the skewers.
- Air fry at 400F for 10 to 12 minutes, until nicely browned and the center of the kofta reaches at least 135F for medium. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
- You can also grill the kofta over medium heat, turning to brown all over, or bake at 375F.
Angie Towle says
Howww did I not know this existed?? #want
Shawna Terry says
I’m intrigued and always looking to consolidate kitchen appliances! I do so love my air fryer!
Barbara Slocum says
Can’t wait to try this!
Susan V Christiansen says
This recipe looks SO good! I’m a huge fan of Greek food anyway, so I’m extra excited to try it in my 8qt Instapot.
No, I’ve not tried an air fryer but I would love to!
Sherry lucus says
Would love the air fryer!
Margaret Schindel says
Yes, I have used an air fryer. We bought a very small Dash air fryer a year or two ago and have liked what we’ve made in it, but it’s too small to make much more than a serving or two of veggie fries, lol. I’d be thrilled to win this air fryer lid for my Instant Pot Duo! Also, I love Mediterranean food, and lamb kofta is delicious, so I’m excited to see that you have developed this air-fryer keto version. Yum! I even have a recipe for keto pita, which I haven’t tried yet, but this would be the perfect excuse. ????
Looks tasty! I’ve wondered how this kid works! Will have to look into them further!
Sounds easy and delicious. Look forward to trying this!
Looks good! I’ve had my eye on those lids and really want one!
Michelle Sanders says
I need a replacement air fryer and have seen these lid, this would be an excellent replacement!
I have never used an air fryer and have been hesitant to purchase another gadget. This would be great for and another way for me to use the instant pot!
Sign me up! Just made my another of your recipes… Instant Pot Cauliflower Soup… another favorite.
Crystal McDaniel says
I love my instapot! I didn’t even know that this lid existed but would love to have one. I love your cookbooks
Kim McKnight says
I love using my instant pot for quick keto meals and having the additional ability to air fry would be so great.
Lisa Clarke says
Normally I think lamb is too grassy tasting but this was great!
No, not yet but I’ve heard great things about them!
Laura S says
The Lamb Kofta sounds very interesting. I’d love to make it and experience the taste for myself.
Thank you for the recipe and the giveaway!
I”m still in love with the idea that my instapot can air fry!!!! Can’t wait to try some new things!
Great giveaway would love to try it!