This creamy cauliflower soup is rich and satisfying, and it takes only a few short minutes to make in your Instant Pot! Low carb comfort food at its finest.
Best. Dang. Soup. I. Have. Ever. Made.
Is that an exaggeration? Possibly but in the moment, I really thought it was the best soup I had ever made. So creamy, so velvety, so full of awesome low carb flavour. So ridiculously comforting. Especially given that spring seems to have gone missing and we are back into winter. This was the perfect keto comfort food on a chilly, blustery Friday night when all we wanted to do was curl up and watch a movie. And that’s exactly what we did.
This recipe is actually destined for yet another cookbook. Oh yes, I am that crazy. Said cookbook has not been announced yet but you know I will shout it from the rooftops when the time comes. Let’s just say this mystery keto book is all about the warm and cozy comfort food. But this soup was so good, I really couldn’t wait to share it. Not sure my publisher would agree with me so shhhhhh.
Cauliflower Soup Recipe
What’s so great about this soup? Well, for one it has bacon, as any good “loaded” soup should. And the bacon is crisped right in the Instant Pot so that when you move on to the next step, you are cooking all your veggies in that luscious bacon fat. Which gives the soup an almost velvety flavour when it’s done. Although I have never eaten velvet, velvety is the best way I can think to describe this flavour. Just go with it.
Also, in true Instant Pot fashion, the cauliflower takes a few short minutes to cook. You are on your way to blending it up before you can say Jack Robinson. No, I don’t know what that means either, it’s just a standard turn of phrase indicating something that happens quickly. Yes, really. Go look it up.
And then you add sour cream and shredded monterey jack or cheddar for an incredibly rich, satisfying soup. It’s thick and delicious, and it warms you right down to your toes. Topped with bacon, a little more cheese and a little green onion and you are in soupy comfort-y heaven. It’s like a warm blanket on a cold day.
Want more Instant Pot ideas? Try this Instant Pot Leek Soup (sub out the potatoes for turnips or radish!).
Instant Pot Loaded Cauliflower Soup
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar divided
- 1 green onion
- Place the chopped bacon in the Instant Pot and turn on the sauté function. Cook the bacon, stirring frequently, until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate, leaving as much of the bacon fat in the pot as possible.
- Add the onion, celery, and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Turn off the sauté function.
- Add the chicken broth to deglaze the pan, then add the cauliflower. Lock the lid onto the pot and make sure the vent is sealed. Set the manual function on high for 5 minutes (it will take 5 to 10 minutes to come up to pressure).
- When the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before opening the vent. Remove the lid and stir in the sour cream and 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth or transfer to a full size blender or food processor.
- Serve the soup topped with the remaining cheese, the bacon, and the green onion.