This creamy Instant Pot salsa chicken is officially my kids’ new favorite keto dinner. 5 simple ingredients and it’s so easy to make, it will quickly become your favorite low carb dinner recipe too! It can easily be adjusted for a crockpot version. This post is sponsored by California Avocados.
The warm weather is finally here, give or take a few rainy, chilly days, and I feel like the world is coming alive again. Well, it truly is coming alive again, with birds singing and trees and flowers bursting into bloom. And all the people coming out of winter hibernation, walking the streets and hitting the biking and hiking trails. My neighbours and I like to joke about how we live right next door to one another but we don’t see each other in the colder months. Now they are out in their yard and we are out in ours, calling greetings over the fence and chit chatting on the front stoop. It’s getting me in the mood for warm weather parties and get togethers.
I’ve got the perfect recipe for those summer parties. This creamy low carb salsa chicken is so quick and easy, and can be scaled up or down depending on the size of your party. It’s the perfect shareable meal. Just whip it up in your Instant Pot in less than 40 minutes, put it all in a big serving dish, and let the gang have at it. Serve it with lettuce wraps and all the usual toppings. But don’t you forget that avocado. A meal like this must be served with avocado! Especially California Avocados, which are in season right now and are so utterly perfect. Just chop them up and let your guests sprinkle them over their salsa chicken lettuce wraps. Or mash them up into guacamole. Your choice!
How To Make Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
This is what I like to call a dump-and-run recipe. It really is one of those insanely easy Instant Pot recipes where you can dump everything in, turn the machine on, and walk away. The prep time is so minimal as to be non-existent. But a few notes to make it truly low carb and healthy.
- Make sure your taco seasoning doesn’t contain any sugar or starches
- Choose a salsa brand that only has 2 g of carbs per serving at most
- Use chicken thighs over chicken breasts as they are more flavourful and have a higher fat content
- If you are doubling the recipe, you may want to add 5 minutes to the cook time
And oh my, the kiddos loved this. It was an instant hit. Or an Instant Pot hit…get it? Get it? They’ve already been begging me to make it again and it’s so easy, I won’t hesitate to do so.
Crockpot Salsa Chicken Variation
I know not everyone has an Instant Pot, so here are some tips on making this recipe in your slow cooker instead.
- Use the same ingredients, no need to adjust
- Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through
- If you are doubling the recipe, you may need to cook a little longer
- If you are halving the recipe, it should still be good for 3 hours
- Once the chicken is cooked through, proceed as directed
Got some fun summer parties coming up? Trust me, you won’t regret making a big pot of this easy keto salsa chicken. And all the kids will thank you!
Looking for more easy chicken recipes?
And check out these other great Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs from Gluten Free Palate
Instant Pot Carnitas from A Spicy Perspective
Instant Pot Paprika Pork Chops from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Keto Salsa Chicken Recipe
- Place the chicken thighs in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and a little additional salt and pepper.
- Add the cream cheese, salsa, and broth and lock the lid into place. Use the manual setting and set the Instant Pot on high for 20 minutes. Once it's finished cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes.
- Use the vent to release any remaining pressure and then remove the lid. Remove the chicken to a plate and use an immersion blender to puree the sauce until smooth. Alternatively, you can transfer the sauce to a regular blender and puree.
- Shred the chicken with two forks and add back into the pot. Toss to coat in the creamy sauce. Serve with lettuce wraps and top with chopped avocados and shredded cheddar cheese.
Many thanks to California Avocados for partnering with me to bring you this recipe.