This Slow Cooker Bacon Cheeseburger Pie is an easy and delicious low carb meal the whole family will love. No need to heat up your kitchen! This post is sponsored by Safeway.
Here we are in August already, friends. How did that happen? I swear 5 minutes ago it was June and the kids were just getting out of school. The summer seemed to stretch out before us in a glorious fashion and I envisioned all the fun things we would do in the nice weather. But then I blinked and I looked around and the summer was almost gone. We have a bit to go yet, the kids don’t start back until the end of August and I have a trip up to Vancouver, BC to see family. But I still have that overwhelming sense that it’s vanishing before my very eyes.
And it’s the dog days now, as they say. We’ve actually had amazing weather all summer long, really mild and sunny. We haven’t had too many true “dog days”, where you feel indolent and lazy as all the heat sucks your energy. But I know that the rest of the country hasn’t necessarily fared so well. And I know only too well what it’s like to cook for a family on one of those days. You need to make dinner but it’s too hot to turn on the oven. And you don’t even want to think about standing outside near a hot grill. But that darn family is still expecting dinner, so what do you do?
You grab your slow cooker, of course. You make your life simple and you keep the kitchen cool at the same time, so it’s a win win. Just crisp up some bacon and brown some ground beef, dump them in the slow cooker with cheese and eggs and some spices. And then go sit back down with a cool drink and just try to survive. See, I know what you need!
And Safeway has everything you need to make this meal extra easy and healthy. I love their O Organics line because it carries almost everything I need to make some of my low carb favorites. Grassfed organic beef? Check. Organic shredded cheese? Check. Cut and washed Organic produce? Check! They even carry these peeled garlic cloves that help me cut down on prep time. And the cloves are packed in smaller packages so that when you only use a few for a recipe, the rest stay fresh for several weeks. (I hate peeling garlic, can you tell?). The quality of the O Organics line is excellent and I feel confident I am feeding my family a healthy and delicious meal.
While I get my O Organics at Safeway, they are available from all of the Albertsons family of stores, including ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Pavilions, Tom Thumb, Randalls, Shaw’s, Star Market, United Express, United and Carrs/Safeway. It’s a great line of organic products for very reasonable prices, so I recommend hitting your Safeway or Albertson’s (or equivalent!) and stocking up!
Slow Cooker Bacon Cheeseburger Pie
This Slow Cooker Bacon Cheeseburger Pie is an easy and delicious low carb meal the whole family will love. No need to heat up your kitchen!
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 lb O Organics grassfed ground beef
- 2 cloves O Organics peeled garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ounces O Organics cream cheese, softened
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups O Organics Mexican shredded cheese or Cheddar cheese
- Grease the insert of a 6 quart slow cooker about 1/3 of the way up the sides.
- In a large skillet, cook the chopped bacon until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate, reserving the grease in the pan.
- Add the ground beef and cook over medium until browned. Add the garlic, hot pepper flakes and season generously with salt and pepper and cook one minute more. Spread mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker and sprinkle with ¾ of the bacon bits and 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and eggs until smooth (you can also do this in a blender). Pour over the ground beef. Cook on low for 3 ½ to 4 hours, until the center is just set.
- Sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese. Replace the top and let the cheese melt, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the reserved bacon bits and cut into pieces to serve.
Looking for delicious low carb, high fat recipes that really satisfy? Check out my new cookbook, The Everyday Ketogenic Kitchen.
Many thanks to Safeway for partnering with me to bring you this recipe.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons Companies. The opinions and text are all mine.