Rich and delicious low carb chocolate layer cake with whipped chocolate ganache. A heavenly keto dessert in miniature for you and a friend or two. Or just you. Sugar-free!
This is a little cake with a big name and it’s got big flavour to go along with it. I am really enamoured of these little cakes I’ve started making. This is the second in a series and there is a third one, a lemon cake, already made and waiting to be blogged. And I have many many ideas for making more. So many ideas that I think I could probably spend the rest of my life making mini cakes. Can you see it now? I could start a whole new blog: All Day I Dream About Mini Cakes.
I rather love the idea of remaking all of my best cake recipes into mini cakes for two. Which isn’t as simple as you’d think, just cutting the proportions down and throwing it altogether. It actually takes more work than that, since the proportions of larger recipes don’t always work out nicely into even amounts for a small cake. Eggs are the trickiest part, since there are usually only 3 or 4 eggs in a large cake. While I could always tell you to go and purchase pasteurized egg product and measure it out in tablespoons, where’s the fun in that? Besides which, many of these carton egg “products” aren’t real whole eggs and I typically avoid them. Instead, I use a whole egg and try to work around that to get a proper cake consistency.
This recipe is based on one of my favourite ever low carb chocolate cakes, my Chocolate Layer Cake with Whipped Chocolate Ganache Frosting. It’s a ridiculously chocolatey affair that I created for Swerve Sweetener a few years ago. I still look back on that cake fondly and have wanted to make it again. And now I have, except this time in miniature. Oh it’s so cute! And so delicious.
I’ve decided not to call this one a “cake for two”. I really found it rich and filling enough to amount to 3 or 4 servings. A quarter of the cake with a scoop of low carb vanilla ice cream was just perfect for dessert. While I am presenting the nutritional info for two servings, I know you can do the math if you cut it into more!
Looking for an easy chocolate cake that isn’t low carb? This Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake from Gluten-Free on a Shoestring looks simply divine!
Chocolate Cake with Whipped Ganache Frosting for Two
Rich and delicious low carb chocolate layer cake with whipped chocolate ganache. A heavenly little dessert in miniature for you and a friend or two. Or just you.
- 4 tbsp sunflower seed flour (or almond flour)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp Swerve Sweetener
- 1 tbsp unflavoured whey protein powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- Preheat oven (or toaster oven) to 325F. Grease 2 (two) 4-inch ramekins or mini cake pans well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sunflower seed flour, cocoa powder, sweetener, protein powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk in butter, egg, and vanilla extract. If your batter is too thick to spread, whisk in a tablespoon of water.
- Divide between prepared baking dishes and bake 12 to 15 minute or until set. Let cool in pans. If your cake layers have humps, slice the tops off to make them flat and even.
- Place chopped chocolate and powdered sweetener in a medium bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat cream until just bubbling. Pour cream over chocolate and let sit a few minutes until melted. Add vanilla and whisk briskly to combine.
- Using electric beaters, beat several minutes on medium high until lighter coloured and fluffy.
- Place first cake layer on plate or serving dish and spread with half of the frosting. Top with second layer and spread top with remaining frosting.
Serves 2 to 4 (I find them very rich and am happy with only 1/4 of the cake). For two servings, each serving has 5.37g NET CARBS.
Food energy: 407kcal Calories from fat: 321 Cholesterol: 72mg Carbohydrate: 10.22g Total dietary fiber: 4.85g Protein: 10.71g Erythritol: 26.25g