Love whoopie pies? Well get ready for the ultimate low carb version. Soft dark chocolate cookies with a creamy peanut butter filling. Whoopie!
Delicious keto whoopie pies with the delicious combo of chocolate and peanut butter. These are a total swoon worthy low carb dessert! Also be sure to check out my Strawberry Shortcake Whoopie Pies!
Whoopie pies are relatively recent phenomenon in my life. Being Canadian born and raised, they were not something I grew up with and I’d never heard of them until I moved to Boston.
I’d already been in the US for 5 years by that point, but apparently whoopie pies are not as coveted in the American Southwest as they are in the Northeast. No one in Arizona ever even mentioned whoopie pies to me, but I was offered one practically upon arrival in New England.
I remember it quite distinctly, a plate full of baked goods at a meeting in the early days of my academic advising career and the plump chocolate sandwiches over which a few coworkers were oohing and aahing. I will be frank and say that they didn’t look all that appetizing to me, these cakey cookie crossbreeds.
They looked like something that should come out of a package with Little Debbie emblazoned across it. Not really my style. And so whoopie pies remained untouched by me for many years.
I honestly don’t think I missed out, because regular whoopie pies still have very little attraction for me. Even if I were able to tolerate the carbs and sugars in your average whoopie pie, I would still skip them in favour of something a little more interesting.
But if the average whoopie pie were to be filled with creamy sweet peanut butter, well then you might have my attention. And given that I don’t tolerate carbs and sugars, if the average whoopie pie were also low carb and gluten-free, then you’d really have my attention. Alas, the average whoopie pie is not filled with peanut butter and it is most definitely NOT low carb and gluten-free. So you can see why they hold little interest for me.
But these beauties, these are definitely not your average, run-of-the-mill whoopie pies. These are the whoopies of my dreams – tender low carb chocolate cakes filled with a sugar-free peanut buttery cream cheese filling. Now do I have your attention? I certainly have my own!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies
- Preheat oven to 325F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Spray parchment with cooking spray (I use coconut oil spray).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, cocoa powder, coconut flour, protein powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sweetener until well combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla until incorporated and then beat in half of the almond flour mixture. Beat in almond milk and then remaining almond flour mixture until well combined.
- Using wet hands, form dough into generous 1 inch balls (you will need to re-wet your hands frequently). Place at least 2 inches apart on baking sheets and press down with the heal of your hand to about ⅓ inch thickness. You should get about 30 to 32 balls.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, peanut butter, powdered sweetener, vanilla and stevia extract until smooth. Beat in whipping cream until well combined.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of peanut butter filling on the bottom-side of one chocolate cake. Top with another cake, bottom-side in. Repeat with remaining cakes and filling.