These tender low carb shortbread thumbprints are filled with creamy sugar-free caramel and drizzled with chocolate. Better than a Twix candy bar and healthier too! What a fabulous keto treat.
Wow, do you realize that this is the first low carb cookie recipe of 2016? The first low carb cookie recipe from me, I mean. Not sure why that is, given that we are almost one quarter through the year already. I appear to have been focusing much more on cakes so far this year. And cauliflower. And, strangely, chicken. But no cookies. That just doesn’t seem right, does it? Cookies should be a mainstay in everyone’s life. So I am correcting this grave mistake as best I can, with a seriously good low carb cookie recipe that everyone will love.
I could easily have called these chocolate caramel thumbprints. Or caramel shortbread thumbprints. Or caramel chocolate shortbread thumbprints. But I figured the reference to Twix chocolate bars would get the point across in fewer words. A soft shortbread-like base filled with caramel and drizzled with chocolate…sounds like a Twix to me!
So here it is, friends. My low carb cookie comeback. And what a cookie it is! These were so fun to make and I think it goes without saying that they were a huge hit. They were gone within two days and my kids have been clamouring for me to make them again. I am more than happy to oblige.
Twix Thumbprint Cookies
- Half a recipe of Low Carb Caramel Sauce feel free to make a whole recipe and save the rest for another use! It's delicious over ice cream
- 1 1/2 ounces Lily's Sugar-Free Milk Chocolate can use dark if you prefer
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone liner.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with sweetener until well combined and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla extract. Beat in almond flour mixture until well incorporated.
- Form dough into scant 1 inch balls and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheet. You will get 24 to 28 cookies. Press each ball down to about 1/2 inch high. Using your thumb, press an indentation into the center of each cookie.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until just barely browning around the edges (They will still be very soft but will continue to firm up as they cool). Gently reform center well with your thumb or the end of a wooden spoon while cookies are still warm. Let cool completely.
- Once cool, make caramel sauce. Let cool a few minutes so that it's not too liquidy, then spoon into the well of each cookie until full. Let set a few minutes.
- For the chocolate drizzle, place chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cook on high in 30 second increments, stirring in between until melted and smooth.
- Spoon chocolate into a small ziploc bag and snip off the very tip of one corner. Drizzle over cookies and let set 20 minutes.
Total fat: 21.68g
Calories from fat: 195
Total dietary fiber: 3.06g