Want a super easy and flavourful weeknight meal? This low carb Salsa Chicken recipe is cooked in foil packets right on your grill. No fuss and minimal clean up. And the green chile cauliflower rice is to die for. This post is sponsored by LA VICTORIA®.
So as a relatively popular food blogger, I get invited to some pretty cool events sometimes. Offers for dinners, and tastings, and even the occasional trip make their way into my email, and I am always flattered to receive the invitation. Whether or not I can attend is another matter altogether, what with family and work and other prior obligations. And summer is a hectic time as it is, and I find myself turning things down more often than not. I don’t usually regret declining the invitation, but there are always a few that I wish I really could have attended.
I recently had to decline an invitation to a 100th anniversary celebration for LA VICTORIA® Brand. I am sure you know this brand of Mexican salsas and sauces. I certainly do, as we almost always have a jar of their salsa and a can of their green chiles in our pantry to help spice up our meals. I was not happy about having to turn down such a fun dinner invitation but I happily agreed to help them with their celebration in another way…creating a delicious and easy dinner recipe that showcases their wonderful salsa and canned chiles. Now that’s my way of celebrating.
Can you believe LA VICTORIA® has been making their authentic salsas and sauces for 100 years? That’s right, founded by the Baca family in 1917, LA VICTORIA created the first jarred salsa in the United States. They clearly have good reason to celebrate and so this summer, they hosted West Coast-inspired dinners in four cities: San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco…and Portland! The Portland dinner sounded like quite an event, with a cultural celebration featuring art, music and dishes created by local chef Noe Garnica of Verde Cocina and made with LA VICTORIA® products. And to support the local arts community, the makers of the LA VICTORIA® brand also hosted an art contest offering Portland artists a chance to submit original works of art and win up to $10,000. You can see why I was sorry to miss out on such an event.
I am sure my low carb Salsa Chicken recipe pales in comparison to what they were serving at the 100th anniversary celebration, but it’s definitely an easy weeknight family pleaser. I stirred the fire roasted chopped green chiles right into the cauliflower rice for extra flavour. Then I topped the chicken with the Thick N Chunky Salsa – hot for me and my husband, mild for the kiddos. I sealed those packets up and tossed them on the grill, sprinkled a little cheese on top, and dinner was done. I chose chicken thighs rather than breasts because they have more flavour and are less expensive, but you could use breasts if you prefer.
I do love these products. That salsa is packed with flavour and the fire roasted diced chiles take Mexican-inspired meals to the next level. The products are always made with real, simple ingredients, and all of the tomatoes are sourced from the fertile California central valley. LA VICTORIA® is available in the salsa aisle of most major grocers west of the Mississippi, including Safeway, Albertson’s and Ralph’s.
HAPPY 100TH BIRTHDAY, LA VICTORIA!
Want a super easy and flavourful weeknight meal? This low carb Salsa Chicken recipe is cooked in foil packets right on your grill. No fuss and minimal clean up. And the green chile cauliflower rice is to die for.
- 3 cups riced cauliflower
- 4 tbsp LA VICTORIA fire roasted diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup avocado oil divided
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup LA VICTORIA Thick 'N Chunky Salsa mild or hot
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican Cheese blend
- Preheat grill to medium and cut 4 squares of tinfoil, each 12 inches by 12 inches (you can also cook two thighs per packet if you make the foil a little longer, more like 12 by 16).
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cauliflower, green chiles, 2 tbsp of the avocado oil, and a little salt and pepper. Divide evenly among the foil sheets.
- Top the cauliflower rice with a chicken thigh (or two, if you are cooking two in one packet). Drizzle the remaining avocado oil over the thighs. Spread each chicken thigh with one tablespoon of the salsa.
- Bring up the two sides of foil and fold them over together once or twice to seal, then fold the ends over tightly. Place the packets, seam side up, on the grill and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken registers 165F at the thickest part.
- Remove the packets and open the top seam. Sprinkle each thigh with 1/4 cup cheese and let sit 5 minutes until melted.