Take your low carb magic cookie bars to the next level with sugar-free salted caramel sauce. This might be your ultimate holiday cookie recipe!
When it comes to food and recipes, there really is no end to the inspiration to be found. Almost everywhere I look, I see something that inspires me to get into the kitchen and create something delicious. Mind you, I do spend an inordinate amount of time looking at food, so that might account for it. It’s hard not to be inspired when you are staring directly at the source of inspiration for the better part of every day. I always hunting it out, be it on the internet, in a book or magazine, in a grocery store or in my own pantry. And thankfully, food inspiration is willing prey and let’s me catch it quite frequently. So frequently, in fact, that I can’t keep up and find that I have more ideas for recipes than I have time for. It would take me several lifetimes to complete all the recipe ideas I have. First world problems, I suppose.
Apparently many people have inspirations on my behalf too. Readers send me ideas for low carb recipes, often a high carb favorite they’d like to see made over into something more fitting for their way of life. And sometimes I inspire them as well, getting them into their kitchen to try their hand at adapting one of my recipes to suit their needs. It’s most certainly a mutual inspiration situation!
This recipe was inspired by Esther, a lovely reader who has been wonderfully supportive over the past few years. She loves my recipes and I think she may have tried a large majority of them. She is dairy-free, so she has to adapt my recipes to suit her needs. I suppose in that regard, you could say I inspire her to create her own recipes. But this time, she inspired me with an offhand comment on Facebook. The minute she mentioned it, I knew I had to try using my low carb caramel sauce in a magic cookie bar recipe.
My whole family thanks you for the inspiration, Esther! These were beyond delicious.
- 1 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 3/4 cup sugar-free chocolate chips such as Lily's
- 1 recipe Low Carb Salted Caramel Sauce
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a 9x13 baking pan, whisk together the nut meal, sweetener, coconut flour and butter until well-combined. Press firmly into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake crust 10 minutes or until just beginning to brown around the edges.
- Remove and let cool at least 15 minutes to firm up.
- Sprinkle crust with flaked coconut, chopped nuts and chocolate chips. Pour caramel sauce evenly over everything.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until bubbly and browning around the edges.
- Remove and let cool, then cut into bars.
Serves 24. Each serving has 8.19 g of carbs and 3.97 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 4.22 g.
Food energy: 237kcal
Saturated fatty acids: 10.85g
Total fat: 21.46g
Calories from fat: 193
Total dietary fiber: 3.97g