Sex in a pan – yes that really is the name of this luscious and creamy dessert recipe! And this version is keto and sugar-free, so it’s a delicious way to indulge. Layers of cheesecake and creamy chocolate pudding, with a chocolate cookie crust.
Why yes, I already do have a Sex in a Pan recipe here on All Day I Dream About Food. But that original one is a seasonal variation with pumpkin and apparently not everyone like pumpkin.
Shocking, I know!
From the moment that first keto sex in a pan was published, I had readers asking me how they could make it without the pumpkin puree. And I got tired of trying to explain in detail how to make a vanilla cheesecake layer so I decided it was time to write it out in full.
But ever the recipe creator, I couldn’t help but give it a slightly different twist and do a chocolate crust instead of the regular one. Not to worry, though. If you would prefer the traditional crust, you can easily grab that from my low carb pumpkin version here.
What is Sex In A Pan?
Despite the rather lewd moniker, this is really a dessert made of creamy layers of chocolate pudding and no bake cheesecake. It’s also known as chocolate lasagna. And sometimes a layered dessert like this are known as a lush.
Whatever you want to call it, it’s incredibly rich and decadent. I suppose the name indicates it’s as good as, or possibly better than, sex. But if you’re in certain company, you may want to come up with a less controversial name.
Now the traditional version is made with a cookie crust with pecans. Then you make a cream cheese layer, top that with a vanilla pudding layer, and then a chocolate pudding layer. Then you top the whole thing off with some whipped cream topping.
WHOA! Now you can see where the name comes from!
Sugar-Free Sex In A Pan
In a traditional sex in a pan recipe, the layers are all from a box. Box pudding mixes and store-bought whipped topping, full of carbs, sugars and other assorted junk. No thanks.
When I made my pumpkin version, I wanted to simplify so I skipped the vanilla pudding layer altogether and just went with a pumpkin cheesecake layer and a chocolate pudding layer, plus the whipped cream. It was a huge hit and one of my most popular recipes.
So I did the same for this vanilla version as well. But it wasn’t quite as simple as leaving out the pumpkin puree, since that adds a lot of moisture to the layer. I had to play with the amounts of cream cheese and whipping cream to get it right, and I found that it needed to be refrigerated for a while to firm up.
Then I proceeded to make the chocolate pudding from scratch, which is really quite easy to do. Pudding does not have to come from a box, my friends!
Now again I confess to messing about with the original and doing a chocolate “cookie” crust instead of a regular one. It’s really great this way but if you want to steal the crust from my pumpkin sex in a pan, that’s fine too. They will both work out nicely!
How to Serve this Keto Dessert
I won’t lie, friends. It’s next to impossible to get that first slice out in one pristine piece. So be ready for a bit of mangled keto sex in a pan and tuck that bit away for another time.
After that first one comes out, you shouldn’t have too much trouble getting a small lifter underneath the next pieces. They come out beautifully and you can see the delicious layers.
Well, that is if you have the patience to let it all chill in the fridge to firm up properly. But I won’t blame you if you get in there a bit early! This is definitely one low carb dessert that’s hard to resist!
Pin This Recipe to Save for Later!
Sugar Free Sex In A Pan
Chocolate Pudding Layer:
- Preheat the oven to 325F and grease a 9x9 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, cocoa powder, sweetener and salt. Add the melted butter and water and stir until the mixture begins to clump together.
- Press the mixture firmly and evenly into the bottom of the pan and bake about 15 minutes, or until just firm to the touch. Remove and let cool.
Cream Cheese Layer:
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sweetener together until smooth. Beat in the vanilla..
- Add the cream and beat until smooth, then spread over the cooled crust and refrigerate while preparing the chocolate layer.
Chocolate Pudding Layer:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine almond milk, whipping cream and sweetener. Bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sweetener.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Slowly whisk about 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture into the yolks to temper. Then slowly whisk tempered yolks back into saucepan.
- Reduce heat to medium low and sprinkle surface with the xanthan gum, whisking vigorously to combine. Whisk in the cocoa powder and cook until thickened, about 3 or 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add the butter pieces and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Let cool 15 minutes and then spread over cheesecake layer. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
Whipped Cream Topping:
- Beat the cream with sweetener and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Spread over the chocolate pudding layer. Dust with cocoa powder (this works best through a fine sieve). Use a vegetable peeler or cheese slicer to shave chocolate over top.
- Chill another hour to help set completely.