Raspberry Almond Butter Cups (Low Carb)

It is once again time for the Secret Recipe Club!  I actually had to skip it last month, simply due to all the other things going on, but I am glad to be back on the wagon with a post inspired by a blog I’d never visited before.  I was assigned to Eat Little Eat Big, the blog written by Susie from the beautiful island of Maui (lucky woman!).  Like me, Susie is very much concerned with health-conscious recipes and it shows on her blog.  Many of her recipes are low carb and South Beach Diet friendly, and they all look delicious.  She tends to focus on the savoury foods, but for some reason, when I visited her blog, I really wanted to find a sweet recipe to inspire me.  I persisted and I was glad I did, when I came across a recipe for Raspberry Jalapeno Almond Butter Cups.

I do adore the combination of raspberry and almond together, so I know that’s why this recipe caught my eye.  I confess, thought, that I found the addition of jalapeno in here a little strange at first.  But as it turns out, Susie was simply using a raspberry-jalapeno sauce, since she’d run out of raspberry preserves.  Don’t get me wrong, I love jalapeno in sweet things, but I did have plain (sugar-free) raspberry preserves on hand and that’s how I decided to make mine.  Additionally, I wanted to make them quite low carb, so I went my own route and did 90% cacao for the chocolate coating, adding just a little butter to help it melt and be on the softer side.

The Results:  These taste fantastic but the way I made them, they are messy, messy, messy. You essentially have to pop them into your mouth whole, or you get goopy almond butter oozing out all over.  It didn’t help that I over-filled the cups with almond butter and raspberry preserves and then had chocolate running down the sides when I tried to cover them with chocolate.  Word to the wise, go lightly on the filling so you have room to top them up with chocolate.

I might also, next time, try to thicken the almond butter with some almond flour and some powdered sweetener so it didn’t ooze out all around.  But all in all, another enjoyable SRC experience!

Raspberry Almond Butter Cups

1 tbsp butter
5 oz high % cacao chocolate
(I used about 1 1/2 bars Lindt 90% Cacao)
3 tbsp almond butter
3 tbsp sugar-free raspberry jam

In a small saucepan over medium low heat, melt butter and chocolate together until smooth.

Using a pastry brush, coat the bottom and sides of 20 foil-lined petit-fours cups with about half of the chocolate.  Place cups on a plate or baking sheet and place in refrigerator until firm, about 20 minutes.

Divide almond butter between chocolate-filled cups, then divide raspberry jam between cups.  Reheat chocolate gently, then top each cup with chocolate to cover.  Return to refrigerator and let set, about 20 minutes.

Store in refrigerator.

Comments

1. Sounds like a great combo!

2. Wow, those look great! Looks like we both had candy on the brain this month :)

3. Pâte à Chew says:

These look so so good! Who cares if they are messy, I can tell they taste amazing!

4. RavieNomNoms says:

Oh those are like, little cups of yumminess right there!

5. spiffycookie says:

Wow do those ever sound good. And I probably have most of the ingredients on hand right now!

6. SusieBeeonMaui says:

Aloha Carolyn!
    I'm glad you liked the almond butter cups!

7. i had susie's blog last month and almost made these. they look delicious!

8. Omg these look delicious!!!

9. amberini says:

YUM! Love almonds and raspberry together. I think you're right, a little thickening with almond flour would be perfect to help with some of the mess.

10. Sounds like a great combo! I just got my first container of almond butter this weekend, haven't opened yet, but plan to tomorrow!

11. butternutrition says:

Looks delicious! It's so hard to find jam without artificial sweeteners!

12. These are my new favorite things!

13. This is such a wonderful recipe! These cups are so delicate and elegant! Perfect for a tea party! Great pick for SRC! And also, thank you for sharing it on RecipeNewZ! I was so happy to see your beautiful post there :-)

14. Nothing wrong with a little mess to fill your mouth with deliciousness! These sound wonderful, Carolyn!

15. happywhennothungry says:

Wow these look so tasty. Love that chocolate and raspberry combo too!

16. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

Raspberry and dark chocolate is so good together! Yum!

17. KeepItSweet says:

I love the idea of almond butter and jelly cups… even if they are a little messy!

18. These look lovely!

19. I have bookmarked this, I have been looking for almond butter adaptions, and I think I may have an idea here for a combo I have been working on…looks great!

20. these are making my mouth water!

21. I can feel my mouth watering while I was reading your final results….those mini cups look incredible, and you did an amazing job making them!

22. stephday says:

Messy or not, these look fabulous!!

23. these are totally made for me! I love love everything about them! raspberries, chocolate and almond butter! the more the better!

24. These look right up my alley! I would love a few for the afternoon snack.

25. cravingsofalunatic says:

I could eat these for dinner. And breakfast. And possibly lunch. Then snack on them during the day. Huge cup love. *wait that sounded wrong*

26. Made these last night. They are delicious! Right up my alley. Thank you!

1. [...] … Hold The Toast · Kalyn's Kitchen · Maria's Nutritious and Delicious Journal · Splendid Low Carbing · Sugar Free Low Carb Recipes · Your Lighter Side …www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com/…/raspberry-almond-butter-… [...]