A quick and delicious side dish – kale stir-fried with Tabasco, pancetta and onions. This post is sponsored by Tabasco.
Let’s discuss leafy greens, shall we? They’re green, their leafy, and they are really, really good for you. And cooked well, they are remarkably tasty too. It’s funny that I’ve never featured a kale recipe on my blog, because we eat a fair bit of it at home. Mostly we stir-fry it, with some garlic and some hot pepper flakes. A touch of salt and pepper and you’re done. If you leave it in the hot pan for an extra moment or two, it might even get a bit crispy. Yum!
Of course, with the Tabasco challenge, I can’t use garlic or hot pepper flakes. I can, obviously, use Tabasco. And onions can take the place of the garlic. Okay, that sounds pretty good. But you know what sounds even better? Cooking some bacon and then stir-frying the kale in the bacon grease. Mind you, I’ve already featured bacon in 2 of my Tabasco recipes. Maybe I should shake it up a bit. What else can I use? Oh yay, pancetta’s on the list. I love pancetta!
A quick, easy and delicious way to get a little more of your leafy greens. Are you down with that?
Spicy Stir-Fried Kale with Pancetta and Onions
A quick and delicious low carb side dish - kale stir-fried with Tabasco, pancetta and onions.
- 4 oz pancetta, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 8 cups chopped kale, washed and dried
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a large skillet, cook pancetta over medium heat 3 minutes. Add finely chopped onion and continue to cook until pancetta is getting crispy and onion is translucent.
- Remove from pan with a slotted spoon, leaving as much drippings behind as possible.
- Add kale, Tabasco, salt and pepper and stir fry until kale is wilted (kale will cook down a lot so you will be able to add it all to the skillet as it cooks).
- Add pancetta and onions and stir-fry another 30 to 60 seconds.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Serves 4. Each serving has 10 g of carbs and 2 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 8 g.
82 Calories; 2g Fat (18.7% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 10mg Cholesterol; 666mg Sodium.