Chicken Fajita Kebabs are like summer on a stick! It’s a sensationally easy keto chicken recipe bursting with bold, fresh flavor. Fire up that grill and let’s go.
These grilled chicken kebobs are the perfect summer crossover recipe. They combine the ease and deliciousness of my keto fajitas with the joy of summer grilling. And who doesn’t love eating dinner off a stick?
With grilling season under full swing, we cook over the open flame at least three times a week. We make huge batches of grilled zucchini to go with meals like steak or Peruvian Chicken.
And now we’re adding these Keto Chicken Fajita Kebobs to our regular rotation. The whole family loves them, so I’m a happy keto mama!
Why this recipe rocks
Skewers are such a great way to grill and these keto fajita kebobs are no exception. They combine protein and veggies in one convenient and tasty package. They also look nice enough to serve to guests.
These grilled skewers make for a super healthy meal that doesn’t skimp on flavor. They are low in carbohydrates and full of protein, fiber, and nutrients. They’re also low in saturated fats.
Pair them with a green salad or some cilantro lime cauliflower rice, and you’ve got an easy and nutritious dinner that everyone loves.
Ingredients you need
- Chicken thighs: I like using boneless chicken thighs for more flavor. They are also less likely to dry out than chicken breast.
- Bell peppers: Use a colorful selection of peppers. I use more green pepper because it’s lower in carbohydrate than red, yellow, or orange.
- Onion: Red onion is great for flavor and color, but white onions work too. Keep the onion to a minimum and separate all the layers so you can use it sparingly throughout the skewers.
- Olive oil: Brush the skewers with oil to help the seasonings stick. This also prevents the chicken from sticking to the grates of the grill.
- Lime juice: Freshly squeezed lime juice lends a bright, fresh flavor to these keto fajita skewers.
- Seasonings: Chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt make up the fajita seasoning.
Step by Step Directions
1. Arrange the kebobs: Thread the chicken and vegetables in alternating patterns onto the skewers. If you are using bamboo skewers, remember to soak them for at least half an hour before grilling.
2. Brush with oil: Brush both sides of each kebab with olive oil to prevent sticking and to allow the seasoning to adhere.
3. Sprinkle with fajita seasoning: In a small bowl, whisk together the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt. Sprinkle over both sides of the skewers.
4. Grill: Place the kebobs on a grill pre-heated to medium high. Grill on both sides for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove and drizzle with lime juice.
Feel free to use pre-made taco seasoning on these grilled chicken kebabs. Just make sure it doesn’t have any sugar or unnecessary fillers or preservatives.
Using more green pepper and using the onion sparingly helps keep the carb count lower. But you could also replace some of the pepper with sliced zucchini as well.
Grill the chicken fajita kebabs over medium high heat for 5 to 7 minutes per side. Check the internal temperature of the chicken with an instant read thermometer. It should reach 165ºF.
If you are using bamboo skewers, be sure to soak them for at least half an hour before threading the meat and veggies onto them. Soaking them ensures that they don’t catch on fire over the hot flames.
The easy fajita seasoning in this recipe consists of chili powder, cumin, garlic, and salt. You can also add paprika and oregano if you like.
Other delicious Mexican-style recipes
Chicken Fajita Kebobs Recipe
- 6 skewers (If bamboo, make sure to soak for 30 minutes)
- 1 ½ lb chicken thighs cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small red pepper chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small yellow pepper chopped into 1 inch pieces
- ¼ large red onion chopped into 1 inch pieces, layers pulled apart
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- Preheat the grill to medium high and lightly oil the grates if needed.
- Thread the chicken and vegetables in alternating patterns onto the skewers. Brush both sides with olive oil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt. Sprinkle over both sides of the skewers.
- Grill the skewers 5 to 7 minutes per side or until the vegetables are tender and slightly charred and the chicken is cooked through (165F on an instant read thermometer).
- Remove and drizzle with lime juice before serving.