Have you ever had Tiger Butter? Trust me, you are going to love this keto peanut butter white chocolate fudge. So creamy and so easy to make, it’s a low carb treat your whole family will enjoy. This post is sponsored by ChocZero.
The first time I was introduced to the joys of tiger butter was at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, back when I was in university.
Ever a lover of all things chocolate, hearing that a new speciality chocolate store had opened made my heart flutter in excitement. And it was a beautiful sight to behold, all those ridiculously oversized turtles and peanut butter cups stacked row upon row. It was my idea of heaven.
One of the treats I purchased that day was a big round of Tiger Butter. I wasn’t really sure what it was, but it was a pale creamy confection swirled with dark chocolate, and it was in the shape of a very large peanut butter cup. One bite and I was in love.
I shudder now to think about how that treat took my blood sugars for a wild ride. But now I can indulge in my own delicious sugar-free keto tiger butter!
What is tiger butter?
In case you’ve never heard of it, tiger butter is a peanut butter confection made with white chocolate, and then swirled with dark chocolate. It’s on the soft side, so it’s a little like fudge but not quite.
It’s truly rich and delicious, and a little goes a long way.
Most conventional recipes for tiger butter call for copious amounts of white chocolate and dark chocolate chips. Needless to say, the sugar content is through the roof.
So if I was ever going to enjoy tiger butter again, I had to come up with a whole new way of making it.
A sugar-free tiger butter recipe
I first took it upon myself to create this sugar-free version in 2015. At that point, no one had successfully made truly good keto white chocolate, so I used a combination of cocoa butter and coconut butter to mimic the white chocolate texture and flavor.
That version was absolutely delicious, but the white chocolate peanut butter portion was very liquid and thin when warm, and it was hard to swirl the dark chocolate in properly without it all sinking to the bottom of the pan. It was also quite firm when chilled, so it wasn’t truly like the tiger butter I remember.
Of course, now ChocZero has created their fantastic keto white chocolate chips, and the game has changed entirely. I can’t get enough of finding new fun ways to work with them. And re-working my keto tiger butter recipe was high on my list.
The old version was very good. The new version is off-the-charts delicious!
Tips for making keto tiger butter
This is a delightfully simple recipe, especially now that we can use keto white chocolate chips! A few tips for getting the tastiest low carb tiger butter:
- The recipe still uses a bit of cocoa butter, to help it be more firm at room temperature. It also adds some extra healthy fats and keeps the carb count down. If you don’t have this, you can use another ounce of the white chocolate chips.
- Choose your peanut butter wisely! As creamy as possible and if it’s the kind with a lot of oil, mix it in very well. I prefer natural brands that don’t require mixing, such as Justin’s.
- The dark chocolate swirl is really just a small amount of my keto chocolate ganache. Since it’s such a small amount, watch your cream carefully. It will simmer very quickly.
- Drizzle the dark chocolate right into the corners of the pan, so that every piece of tiger butter has a nice swirl of chocolate.
- Don’t skip lining the pan with parchment! It’s the only way to get the bars out in one piece.
How to store tiger butter
Once you’ve chilled and cut the tiger butter into bars, you will want to store it in the fridge in a covered container. It’s fine out of the fridge for an hour or two, but can get a bit too soft after that. Especially if you live in a warm climate.
It’s great both straight of the fridge and and at room temperature, and it will keep for a week or two, as long as your cream is fresh!
Ready to make some delicious keto tiger butter?
More keto white chocolate recipes
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
- White Chocolate Panna Cotta
- Keto Cranberry Bliss Bars
- White Chocolate Caramel Cups
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Blondies
Sugar-Free Tiger Butter
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, allowing paper to come up the sides for easy removal.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the peanut butter, white chocolate chips, and cocoa butter. Whisk until melted and smooth. Then whisk in 2 tbsp of the powdered sweetener until smooth.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture into the prepared baking pan and spread to the edges.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the whipping cream to a simmer. Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate. Let sit a few minutes to melt.
- Whisk until smooth, then whisk in the remaining 2 tbsp of powdered sweetener and the vanilla extract.
- Drizzle the dark chocolate over the peanut butter mixture and swirl with a knife. Refrigerate until firm.
- Lift the tiger butter out of the pan by the overhanging parchment and use a sharp knife to cut into 16 bars.