This Easy Mexican Shredded Beef will become your new favorite keto dinner recipe. Full of great flavour, it fits so many healthy diets – ketogenic, paleo and dairy-free too. It’s a family pleaser!
Who needs easy keto recipes? You can’t really get any easier than this easy shredded beef. It practically cooks itself!
Okay I will fully admit that I’ve been dialling it in lately, on a number of fronts. I’ve been trying to take it a little easier this last part of the summer, because I can feel it slipping away on me and I will regret it if I don’t take some time out to enjoy it. So for the last few weeks, I have slowed tremendously on recipe development (gasp!), put minimal effort into the blog posts, and put cooking for my family basically on cruise-control. And I am loving it! It’s so nice to slack off a bit and just chill. It’s quite an unusual feeling for this workaholic keto recipe blogger.
And I need easy recipes for keto dinners. Who doesn’t?
One of the recipes from my upcoming cookbook, The Everyday Ketogenic Kitchen, has become one of our go-to easy peasy low carb meals. I created it sometime last summer when I had a funny cut of beef that I didn’t know how to use. It was called an “arm roast”, which a little investigation showed to be a variety of chuck roast. Any recipe developer worth their salt knows that chuck tends to be quite tough unless it’s cooked low and slow with plenty of liquid. So I tossed it in a pot with some tomatoes, water, and spices and cooked it for 5 hours. And then I shredded it with a couple of forks and dinner was served.
How To Make Keto Shredded Beef
- Any large beef roast will do. Chuck roast, rump roast, eye of the round, what have you. It doesn’t need to be boneless, since you will shred the beef at the end and can easily remove the bones.
- Use lard or bacon fat for browning the roast, as it gives it an extra luscious flavor and makes it more tender.
- Use a large Dutch oven or other ovenproof pot. You can also make this shredded beef recipe in a slow cooker or an Instant Pot. For a slow cooker, you will want to brown the beef first before adding it to the crock pot. Cook on low for 8 hours. For an Instant Pot, use the sauté function to brown the beef and then manual or stew/meat for 70 minutes.
- Add your seasonings and liquids. If you aren’t using canned tomatoes, be sure to add some beef broth in to braise it properly and allow it to become extra tender. I highly recommend the liquid smoke and chipotle powder for a smoky flavor.
- Cook it low and slow! No matter how you make this, do not try to hurry it along. Like most tough cuts of meat, it benefits from low temperatures and long cooking.
- Serve with cauliflower rice for a delicious keto meal.
Family Friendly Shredded Beef Recipe.
It was an instant hit. And when I say instant, I mean instant. An instantly instantaneous hit. Kids loved it, I loved it, hubs loved it. And all the readers who’ve tried this recipe loved it.
It’s also freezer friendly, so you can make it ahead and put it away for another easy meal. A whole roast can make a lot of shredded beef, so this is perfect for meal planning.
We’ve begun to make it every chance we get, which is going to be a lot now that I just purchased a quarter cow. Many a chuck roasts from my quarter and so many opportunities to eat one of my favourite ketogenic and paleo meals. It’s dairy-free too, and fits the Paleo and Whole 30 lifestyle perfectly.
Want some delicious toppings for this mexican shredded beef recipe? Try Guacamole 5 Ways.
Easy Mexican Shredded Beef will become your new favorite low carb dinner. Full of great flavour, it fits so many healthy diets - ketogenic, paleo and dairy-free too.
Preheat the oven to 300°F and set an oven rack on the second lowest position. Season the roast liberally with salt and pepper.
In a large Dutch oven, melt the bacon fat or lard over medium heat. Once hot, add the roast and brown well on all sides. Stir in the diced tomatoes, water, liquid smoke, if using, garlic, cumin, and chipotle powder.
Bring to a simmer and then cover and transfer the pot to the oven. Cook the roast until it is tender and can easily be pierced with a fork, about 5 hours. Remove from oven and use two forks to shred the meat. Toss the meat in the juices that have collected at the bottom of the pot to moisten it.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It can also be wrapped tightly in tin foil and frozen for up to a month.
Serve over cilantro lime cauliflower rice with chopped avocado. It’s also great with some shredded cheddar cheese on top and garnished with fresh cilantro.
You can also make this shredded beef recipe in a slow cooker or an Instant Pot. For a slow cooker, you will want to brown the beef first before adding it to the crock pot. Cook on low for 8 hours. For an Instant Pot, use the sauté function to brown the beef and then manual or stew/meat for 70 minutes.