Easy Mexican Shredded Beef will become your new favorite low carb dinner. Full of great flavour, it fits so many healthy diets – ketogenic, paleo and dairy-free too.
Okay I will fully admit that I’ve been dialling it in lately, on a number of fronts. I’ve been trying to take it a little easier this last part of the summer, because I can feel it slipping away on me and I will regret it if I don’t take some time out to enjoy it. So for the last few weeks, I have slowed tremendously on recipe development (gasp!), put minimal effort into the blog posts, and put cooking for my family basically on cruise-control. And I am loving it! It’s so nice to slack off a bit and just chill. It’s quite an unusual feeling for this workaholic keto recipe blogger.
One of the recipes from my upcoming cookbook, The Everyday Ketogenic Kitchen, has become one of our go-to easy peasy low carb meals. I created it sometime last summer when I had a funny cut of beef that I didn’t know how to use. It was called an “arm roast”, which a little investigation showed to be a variety of chuck roast. Any recipe developer worth their salt knows that chuck tends to be quite tough unless it’s cooked low and slow with plenty of liquid. So I tossed it in a pot with some tomatoes, water, and spices and cooked it for 5 hours. And then I shredded it with a couple of forks and dinner was served.
Low Carb Mexican Shredded Beef Recipe
It was an instant hit. And when I say instant, I mean instant. An instantly instantaneous hit. Kids loved it, I loved it, hubs loved it. We’ve begun to make it every chance we get, which is going to be a lot now that I just purchased a quarter cow. Many a chuck roasts from my quarter and so many opportunities to eat one of my favourite ketogenic and paleo meals. It’s dairy-free too, and fits the Paleo and Whole 30 lifestyle perfectly.
If you want to see more great ketogenic dinner recipes like this one, be sure to pre-order my cookbook! I promise you there’s plenty more where this came from. It’s available now from all major booksellers.
Low Carb Mexican Shredded Beef
Easy Mexican Shredded Beef will become your new favorite low carb dinner. Full of great flavour, it fits so many healthy diets - ketogenic, paleo and dairy-free too.
- 1 4-to-5 lb chuck roast
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup bacon fat or lard
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chipotle powder OR 1 tbsp chile powder
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and set an oven rack on the second lowest position. Season the roast liberally with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt the bacon fat or lard over medium heat. Once hot, add the roast and brown well on all sides. Stir in the diced tomatoes, water, liquid smoke, if using, garlic, cumin, and chipotle powder.
- Bring to a simmer and then cover and transfer the pot to the oven. Cook the roast until it is tender and can easily be pierced with a fork, about 5 hours. Remove from oven and use two forks to shred the meat. Toss the meat in the juices that have collected at the bottom of the pot to moisten it.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It can also be wrapped tightly in tin foil and frozen for up to a month.
Serve over cilantro lime cauliflower rice with chopped avocado. It’s also great with some shredded cheddar cheese on top and garnished with fresh cilantro.