Keto coffee ice cream without an ice cream maker? It’s not a dream, I promise And this is the richest, creamiest, keto no churn ice cream recipe. What a way to beat the heat!
I first created this no-churn coffee ice cream back in 2015, and I am so excited to give it a new update. It’s better than ever before, and it stays perfectly scoopable, even after weeks in the freezer. If you manage to get it to last that long!
Read on to get all the best tips for this keto coffee ice cream recipe.
Keto ice cream for the coffee lover
I make no secret of the fact that I am a coffee addict. And like many addicts, I have no desire to quit my drug of choice.
But while I do love the energy I get from the caffeine, there’s much more to it than that. It’s about the flavor, the aroma, the hot bitter liquid on my tongue every morning. The slow sipping and savoring in the stillness of my quiet house, before the kids are awake.
I love coffee and I love everything about coffee. And I adore coffee flavored desserts – especially coffee ice cream.
There’s a magic that happens somewhere in there, when coffee comes together with cream and sweetener. It’s a heavenly combination and even many non-coffee drinkers enjoy coffee ice cream.
So when I make a keto coffee ice cream, you can bet it’s rich and creamy and full of deep coffee flavor. When you love that dark liquid brew as much as I do, you can’t mess around!
No ice cream maker required
I love my ice cream maker and I use it frequently. But a few years ago, I started to see all of these no churn ice cream recipes popping up all over the internet, and I was intrigued. I didn’t even know such a thing was possible.
After a little reading and investigation, I realized just how simple and brilliant the method was, and I was eager to try my hand at a keto no-churn ice cream recipe.
Conventional no churn ice cream recipes usually use sweetened condensed milk, which is then folded into some whipped cream. It makes a lot of sense when you think about it. An ice cream machine serves much the same purpose, churning air into a cream-based mixture to increase the volume.
I thought it might be possible to use the exact same approach with my keto sugar-free condensed milk. And so keto no-churn ice cream was born!
Of course, having to make the sweetened condensed milk from scratch means it’s not quite so simple as the sugary version, but it really is a great option for those of you without ice cream makers.
And now that I’ve improved my keto condensed milk recipe, this keto ice cream stays scoopable for days, even straight out of the freezer!
Tips for making keto coffee ice cream
A few tips for getting the most out of this delicious no-churn recipe:
- Make the condensed milk in advance and let it cool properly. If you attempt to proceed while it’s still warm, the whipped cream will melt and become liquid again, and your ice cream will never set properly.
- Both Swerve and BochaSweet are critical to this recipe, so that the ice cream firms up but stays scoopable.
- The only thing you can replace the Swerve with is another erythritol based sweetener (Lakanto, Sukrin, etc.).
- The only things you can replace the BochaSweet with are xylitol or allulose.
- The xanthan gum is important for thickening the condensed milk properly but it also inhibits ice crystals in the ice cream. If you must skip it, that’s fine but do realize that the texture of your ice cream may suffer somewhat.
- How much coffee you add is up to you. I like mine with a strong flavor but I also use decaf instant coffee so it doesn’t keep me up at night. You can use any instant coffee and even the Starbucks Via packs work well (I add two when I am using those).
- No churn ice cream takes longer to firm up and freeze properly so be patient and consider making it the day prior to when you want to eat it.
Ready to try your hand at this delicious Keto Coffee Ice Cream?
More great keto coffee desserts
- Keto Double Espresso Brownies
- Low Carb Mocha Chip Biscotti
- Keto Tiramisu
- Coffee Creme Mousse
- Keto Espresso Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
- Sugar-Free Coffee Creme Brûlée
Keto coffee ice cream without an ice cream maker? It's not a dream, I promise And this is the richest, creamiest, keto no churn ice cream recipe. What a way to beat the heat!
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 cup of the cream and the almond milk. Whisk in 1/4 cup of the Swerve and the BochaSweet. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer 40 minutes, whisking occasionally.
Remove from heat and add the butter. Whisk to combine, until the butter is melted. Then sprinkle the surface with xanthan gum and whisk vigorously to combine.
Whisk in the instant coffee and vanilla extract, until the coffee granules have dissolved. Let cool to room temperature.
Whip remaining 1 1/4 cups whipping cream with the remaining Swerve sweetener until it just holds stiff peaks. Gently fold in the cooled coffee mixture until well combined.
Transfer to a container and freeze until firm, about 5 or 6 hours.