This no bake cheesecake recipe makes the ultimate low carb dessert. Chocolate covered strawberries garnish a smooth and creamy grain free cheesecake that is bursting with fresh strawberries and a layer of sugar-free chocolate ganache. Grassfed gelatin is your friend!
Summer Strawberry Recipes
Is it just me or is New England strawberry season taking its sweet time arriving this year? If you don’t live in New England, you probably don’t care, but honestly! I have been waxing poetic about strawberries since mid-April or so and yet a week into June and local strawberries still haven’t arrived.
It’s just been too darn cold and rainy, and even today, when it feels like summer is upon us, those sweet red berries are missing in action. Local strawberry season usually starts at the end of May but I’ve checked most of my favourite U-Pick farms and the strawberries just aren’t ready yet. With more cool wet weather predicted for this week, I am beginning to wonder if they will ever be ready. Imagine a year where we skip berry season entirely. How sad would that be? I think life might no longer be worth living.
Regardless, I shall persevere and create delicious low carb recipes using strawberries for those of you in strawberry-rich locales. Why should you have to suffer without ways to use up your fresh-picked berries just because my region is lagging behind? I am nothing if not considerate like that.
You can use fresh strawberries to make:
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
- Healthy Strawberry Oatmeal Bars (from Well Plated)
- Sugar-Free Frosted Strawberry Lemonade
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie (from Give Recipe)
To that end, I took it upon myself to get some non-local berries at Trader Joe’s the other day, so that I could work on a rich, no-bake cheesecake I had been envisioning for a while. It doesn’t hurt that this creation happened to satisfy my craving for chocolate, strawberries and cheesecake all in one fell swoop.
I call it my Chocolate Covered Strawberry No Bake Cheesecake recipe. I also call it insanely delicious. I am pretty sure you will too.
Best Low Carb No Bake Cheesecake Recipe
And the fact that it is a no bake cheesecake recipe is just the icing on the cake. Or the chocolate ganache on the cake, in this instance.
I started out with the intention of baking the cheesecake but I’ve been playing more and more with healthy grassfed gelatin, working it into my family’s diet where I can. And in a nod to the warm weather that is supposedly approaching, I figured I would skip the oven altogether and set the strawberry cheesecake filling with gelatin. It worked beautifully and it allowed me to set a border of sliced berries around the outside of the cake to make it look all fancy. And a thick layer of sugar-free chocolate ganache to top it all off.
I am not lying when I say that this low carb, grain-free cheesecake is phenomenal. It is everything I hoped it would be and more, and it really isn’t difficult to make. Now just imagine how good the no bake cheesecake would be if I had picked all the berries myself?
- 1 & 1/4 cup almond flour Honeyville
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 5 tbsp Swerve Sweetener
- 3 & 1/2 tbsp butter melted
- 7 or 8 smallish strawberries thinly sliced
- In a 9-inch springform pan, stir together almond flour, cocoa powder and sweetener.
- Add melted butter and mix until well combined. Press firmly and evenly into the bottom of the pan. Stand sliced berries upright around edge of crust to create a border. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring strawberries and 1/4 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until strawberries can be mashed with a fork, about 5 minutes. Mash or blend berries into a puree.
- In a small bowl, stir together gelatin and 2 tablespoons water. Let sit 1 minutes. Add to strawberry puree and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Let mixture cool while continuing.
- In a large bowl, beat whipping cream with vanilla until it holds soft peaks. Set aside.
- In another large bowl beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in sweetener until combined and then beat in berry puree.
- Carefully fold in whipped cream until combined. Spread mixture carefully over crust.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours until set.
- Once set, carefully run a sharp knife around the sides of the pan to loosen (try not to disturb the berry border. Remove sides.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter and unsweetened chocolate together, stirring until smooth.
- Stir in powdered sweetener and vanilla extract.
- Let cool 5 to 10 minutes, until thickened but still pourable.
- Pour over top of cake, allowing it to drip down sides.
- Let set 20 minutes before serving.
- For a fun garnish, dip a few fresh strawberries into the ganache and let set, then place on top of cake.
Serves 16. Each serving has 8.46 g of carbs and 2.81 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 5.65 g.
Food energy: 267kcal
Saturated fatty acids: 12.75g
Total fat: 23.20g
Calories from fat: 208
Carbohydrate, by difference: 8.46g
Total dietary fiber: 2.81g