This rich cheesecake is the ultimate no bake low carb dessert. There’s no need to turn on the oven to get the most out of summer strawberries. Grassfed gelatin is your friend!
Is it just me or is New England strawberry season taking its sweet time arriving this year? If you don’t live in New England, you probably don’t care but honestly! I have been waxing poetic about strawberries since mid-April or so and yet a week into June and local strawberries still haven’t arrived. It’s just been too darn cold and rainy, and even today, when it feels like summer is upon us, those sweet red berries are missing in action. Local strawberry season usually starts at the end of May but I’ve checked most of my favourite U-Pick farms and the strawberries just aren’t ready yet. With more cool wet weather predicted for this week, I am beginning to wonder if they will ever be ready. Imagine a year where we skipped berry season entirely. How sad would that be? I think life might no longer be worth living.
Regardless, I shall persevere and create delicious low carb recipes for those of you in strawberry-rich locales. Why should you have to suffer without ways to use up your fresh-picked berries just because my region is lagging behind? I am nothing if not considerate like that. To that end, I took it upon myself to get some non-local berries at Trader Joe’s the other day, so that I could work on a rich, no-bake cheesecake I had been envisioning for a while. It doesn’t hurt that this creation happened to satisfy my craving for chocolate, strawberries and cheesecake all in one fell swoop. I call it Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cheesecake. I also call it insanely delicious. I am pretty sure you will too.
And the fact that it is no bake is just the icing on the cake. Or the chocolate ganache on the cake, in this instance. I started out with the intention of baking the cheesecake but I’ve been playing more and more with healthy grassfed gelatin and working it into my family’s diet where I can. And in a nod to the warm weather that is supposedly approaching, I figured I would skip the oven altogether and set the strawberry cheesecake filling with gelatin. It worked beautifully and it allowed me to set a border of sliced berries around the outside of the cake to make it look all fancy. And a thick layer of sugar-free chocolate ganache to top it all off. I am not lying when I say that this dessert was phenomenal. It was everything I hoped it would be and more, and it really wasn’t difficult to make. Now just imagine how good it would be if I had picked all the berries myself?
No Bake Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cheesecake
This rich cheesecake is the ultimate no bake low carb dessert. There's no need to turn on the oven to get the most out of summer strawberries. Grassfed gelatin is your friend!
- 1 & 1/4 cup almond flour (Honeyville)
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 5 tbsp Swerve Sweetener
- 3 & 1/2 tbsp butter, melted
- 7 or 8 smallish strawberries, thinly sliced
Strawberry Cheesecake Filling
- 3 cups chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp water, divided
- 2 tbsp grassfed gelatin
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered Swerve Sweetener
- 1/2 tsp liquid stevia extract
- In a 9-inch springform pan, stir together almond flour, cocoa powder and sweetener.
- Add melted butter and mix until well combined. Press firmly and evenly into the bottom of the pan. Stand sliced berries upright around edge of crust to create a border. Set aside.
Strawberry Cheesecake Filling:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring strawberries and 1/4 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until strawberries can be mashed with a fork, about 5 minutes. Mash or blend berries into a puree.
- In a small bowl, stir together gelatin and 2 tablespoons water. Let sit 1 minutes. Add to strawberry puree and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Let mixture cool while continuing.
- In a large bowl, beat whipping cream with vanilla until it holds soft peaks. Set aside.
- In another large bowl beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in sweetener until combined and then beat in berry puree.
- Carefully fold in whipped cream until combined. Spread mixture carefully over crust.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours until set.
- Once set, carefully run a sharp knife around the sides of the pan to loosen (try not to disturb the berry border. Remove sides.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter and unsweetened chocolate together, stirring until smooth.
- Stir in powdered sweetener and vanilla extract.
- Let cool 5 to 10 minutes, until thickened but still pourable.
- Pour over top of cake, allowing it to drip down sides.
- Let set 20 minutes before serving.
- For a fun garnish, dip a few fresh strawberries into the ganache and let set, then place on top of cake.
Serves 16. Each serving has 8.46 g of carbs and 2.81 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 5.65 g.
Food energy: 267kcal Saturated fatty acids: 12.75g Total fat: 23.20g Calories from fat: 208 Cholesterol: 57mg Carbohydrate, by difference: 8.46g Total dietary fiber: 2.81g Protein: 5.81g