You can’t beat the flavor and ease of this Sugar Free Ketchup recipe. You only need 5 minutes and a handful of ingredients for a healthy keto version of your favorite condiment!
I have been sitting on this keto ketchup forever. Well, not actually sitting on it because then my pants would be dirty. But I’ve have been making this for ages and I am only just now sharing it with you. For shame!
And with a last name like Ketchum, you’d think I would have shared a recipe for the popular condiment earlier. I mean, people spell it wrong all the time. Even one of my wedding registries said “ketchup” on it.
So here we are. Finally. I offer you a fantastic recipe for sugar free ketchup. It’s so easy, it feels like cheating!
If you love making your own healthier sauces and condiments, be sure to check out my Easy Keto BBQ Sauce and my Sugar-Free Honey Mustard.
Why you will love this recipe
I kid you not, this is the easiest recipe in the world. So easy, in fact, that I refer to it as Cheater’s Keto Ketchup in one of my cookbooks. It doesn’t require any cooking and it’s ready in about 3 minutes flat. And it takes ingredients that are readily available at any supermarket or grocery store.
While you can purchase sugar-free ketchup at most stores, a lot of them contain artificial sweeteners and fillers. And the ones with clean ingredients are quite expensive, and sometimes not that flavorful.
My recipe is superior, both in flavor and cost effectiveness. And you control the ingredients so you know exactly what’s in it. Plus you can adjust the seasonings so your keto ketchup tastes just the way you like it!
Ingredients You Need
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Tomato paste: Starting with thick tomato paste, rather than fresh tomatoes, means you won’t have to cook this ketchup at all. Stir in a little vinegar and water, and you instantly have the right consistency.
- Apple cider vinegar: A little apple cider vinegar gives the ketchup a little more tanginess.
- Balsamic vinegar: Balsamic imparts a touch of umami and deepens the flavor.
- Sweetener: I like to use Swerve Brown in this recipe but you can use almost any sweetener.
- Allspice: Part of the unique flavor profile of ketchup comes from spices like allspice or cloves.
- Chipotle powder: I like giving it a kick of heat with a touch of chipotle powder, but it is entirely optional.
- Pantry staples: Salt, garlic powder.
How to make sugar free ketchup
Step 1: Whisk the tomato paste and vinegars together. Add just enough water to achieve a ketchup consistency.
Step 2: Whisk in the sweetener and seasonings. Taste and adjust to your liking.
Step 3: Spread it on your favorite burgers or hotdogs and enjoy!
Different brands of tomato paste vary a little in how thick they are. So how much water you add will depend on the paste you use. Whisk in the first two tablespoons, and then add it just a little at a time until you get the right consistency.
I like keeping my sugar free ketchup in a squeeze bottle so it’s easy to drizzle over burgers and dogs any time we want!
Because this is a no-cook recipe, you won’t have as much trouble with the Swerve recrystallizing. It should dissolve just fine with no grittiness. But if you prefer, you can use allulose or BochaSweet, or a confectioner’s style sweetener.
You can also use pure stevia or monk fruit extracts, but you will only need a really tiny amount. Add a few drops at a time and taste before adding more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most ketchup is made with sugar or high fructose corn syrup and should be avoided on the keto diet. It typically has 5g of carbs per tablespoon.
Ketchup that is made without any added sugars can be just as good or better than the sugary kind. Some are entirely unsweetened, which can be tasty. This keto ketchup recipe uses a brown sugar replacement and spices to give it a more authentic flavor.
This homemade ketchup recipe has 2g of carbs and 0.5g of fiber per 1 tablespoon serving.
More delicious keto recipes
Easy Sugar Free Ketchup Recipe
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and two tablespoons of the water. Continue to whisk in water until the mixture the consistency of store-bought ketchup.
- Add the sweetener, garlic powder, allspice, salt, and chipotle powder if using. Whisk in until the sweetener dissolves. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.