Almond Cupcakes with Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

Yum

Sometimes a girl just needs a cupcake. I am probably stating the obvious here, but it’s true. I am not even that big a fan of cupcakes and I still need them once in a while. The whole cupcake craze of the past few years has done a number on our collective psyche, I think. Whereas before, cupcakes were just something you made for a baby shower or your child’s class party, now they are a statement. They can be dressed up or dressed down, they can be filled or unfilled, and they can go just about anywhere. People say cupcakes are out and 2011 will be the year of something else. But I rather suspect that although they might not be quite so in your face anymore, cupcakes aren’t going anywhere. Cupcakes are here to stay.

Sometimes, a cupcake/frosting flavour combination will just present itself in my mind. In this particular instance, I could just see how well the almond flavour would complement the raspberry. I intended to post them around Valentine’s Day because of the lurid pink of the icing, but I didn’t quite get around to it. And I think the flavours here don’t need to be relegated to a single holiday, they are timeless and would be just as good in the middle of July.

I knew I wanted an almond flour cupcake, with the flavour amped up by the addition of a little almond extract. For the icing, I wanted to add real raspberry puree, but I knew that it would need a little help for the flavour to come through. I didn’t want to buy any raspberry extract since I didn’t see too much use for it beyond this recipe, so I went to my liquor cabinet and pulled out a small bottle of Chambord that Santa (aka me) put in my husband’s stocking. A few teaspoons of that ought to enhance the raspberry flavour nicely!

The Results: The frosting was the star of the show here. To me, it tasted just like raspberry ice cream and it’s a good thing that there was only just enough to ice the cakes, or I would have been spooning it out of the bowl straight into my mouth. The actual cakes had wonderful almond flavour, but the texture was more muffin-like than cupcake-like. This in itself is not a bad thing, I love muffins, but not when what I am craving is cake. They need a little tweaking to be less muffin and more cake, a feat that is not easy to achieve with almond meal. But I am working on it, I promise!

This frosting would pair really nicely with my Coconut Flour chocolate cupcakes as well.

Almond Cupcakes with Raspberry Cream Cheese Frosting

3 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp butter, softened
2 tbsp heavy cream
2 tsp Chambord or other raspberry-flavoured liqueur
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5-6 tbsp powdered erythritol
1 drop red food colouring paste (optional)

For the cakes, preheat the oven to 325F and line 6 regular-sized muffin tins with cupcake liners.

In a small bowl, whisk together the almond flour, erythritol, whey protein, flax seed meal, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt.

Place butter in a large bowl and beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in half of flour mixture until just combined. Beat in almond milk, and then beat in the rest of the flour mixture.

Divide batter among prepared muffin tins. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until cakes are set and a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in pans.

For the frosting, set thawed berries in a fine-mesh sieve over a small bowl and smash with the back of a fork, pressing firmly to release as much liquid as possible. Set aside.

Beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Beat in raspberry liquid, cream, chambord, vanilla and stevia (and food colouring, if using) until smooth. Beat in powdered erythritol until smooth and icing holds soft peaks.

Spread or pipe icing on to cupcakes.

Serves 6. Each cupcake has a total of 8 g of carbs and 3 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 5 g.

Comments

1. Mike @theflavorjunkie says

Carolyn,

I agree! Cupcakes aren`t going anywhere, anytime soon.

These ones look fabulous and the raspberry buttercream looks so so tempting. I could probably eat a tub of that alone!

2. Charlie @ SweetSaltySpicy says

Good thing the frosting was the star of the show; I eat cupcakes for the frosting :P.
    They look delicious :).

3. Belinda @zomppa says

I've been craving cupcakes all day…not a good idea to be eating one a day this week, but you just inspired me to have another!

4. Katrina says

Another great post! I agree – I think cupcakes are here to stay for awhile. They are still very "posh!"

I love the almond taste in any baked goods. Paired with the raspberry – delicious!!

5. Duygu Öz Ada says

your cupcakes look hard.I wish I cook but I dont make.You are very speacial girl because Its look very delicious

6. Kate @ Diethood.com says

They are gorgeous! That icing sounds so tempting… it might not have made it to the cupcakes if I was making them… :)
    Beautiful job, as always!

7. Island Vittles says

I love the pretty pink, and as per usual, noone would ever know these are gluten free — you are a magician with the "non-flours" Have a great weekend! Theresa

8. Susi says

Only you could make a low carb/gluten free cupcake look so incredibly delicious! The frosting sounds unreal and I think would be very dangerous to have around. Not sure my cupcakes would ever get frosted ;o) Your pictures are beautiful as well! How do you always get your lighting so perfect?

9. Becky says

I love cupcakes, so I hope that they are here to stay. Your raspberry frosting looks divine, and perfect for my future daughter-in-law's bridal shower. but I'm sure that I'll make it before then.

HAve a great weekend!

10. A little bit of everything says

2011 may be the year of another dessert but cupcakes are definitely not going anywhere.
    yours look so mouthwatering. love the raspberry frosting.
    thanks for sharing, hope you'll have a wonderful weekend

11. Lisa {Authentic Suburban Gourmet } says

What a beautiful cupcake! The frosting looks amazing. Enjoy the upcoming holiday weekend!!!

12. Stephanie says

Yum! Pairing almond with raspberry is genius! And the color of the frosting can't be beat. So feminine and fun…exactly what cupcakes should be. LOL

13. Victoria says

You had me at Chambord! By far one of my favorite liqueurs :) These cupcakes look fantastic, and I agree that almond and raspberry sounds like a great combo!

14. Elisabeth says

Carolyn-Love these gorgeous cupcakes, with the pretty pink raspberry frosting, and the almond flavor, so inviting and yummy!

15. kita says

Oh, Im torn! I love a muffin but I understand what you're saying about when you want cake you want cake. This icing does sound great though! Have to try it soon! I love a great cupcake!

16. Kim - Liv Life says

I'm not really a cup cake fan either… but I'd eat one of these!! I haven't use the almond flour yet, but just picked some up and was wondering what to do with it. Liv will love the pink!!

17. sara @ CaffeIna says

I've never quite got the big fuss around cupcakes but, just like you, I still like them and crave for them from time to time. That raspberry buttercream is making me dream!

18. Hester aka The Chef Doc says

Carolyn, you take such gorgeous photos! I'm having cupcake-envy right now over these pretty cupcakes :-) I've never tried almond meal/flour. It's rather intriguing now!

19. Melissa@EyesBigger says

oh I am so bookmarking this raspberry frosting recipe. I even have a bottle of chambord in the cupboard. I think it would be awesome on a chocolate cupcake which I've been thinking about doing lately. They look great too!

20. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels says

Your cupcakes are gorgeous! The color of the frosting is just beautiful. I love almond flavored desserts and would glady devour these lovely cupcakes! :)

21. All That's Left Are The Crumbs says

These cupcakes look so good, especially the raspberry buttercream. That buttercream makes me happy just looking at it.

22. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having says

I'm not a big cupcake fan either, but I agree, some days the only that will make you happy is a frosting covered cupcake!
    Your frosting sounds amazing. I love how vibrant the colour is.

23. whatsfordinneracrossstatelines says

How funny, I made raspberry buttercream tonight for some dark chocolate cupcakes, except mine weren't good girl ones like yours. These came out really good. Hope you are having a great weekend.
    -Gina-

24. Queen Elizabeth says

They look lovely!! I don't have time to read all the comments to know if someone already suggested this, but to get more cakelike texture instead of muffin, replace all of that almond flour with whey protein powder. :)

25. susan says

the color of that frosting is just gorgeous, carolyn! I love the idea of an almond based cupcake. i am going to make these for my friend, Alex. I know she will love these!

26. Chef Dennis says

hi Carolyn
    what a beautiful cupcake, I love that pink frosting!
    I can't get over that its a gluten free recipe!
    Congrats on your top 9 today!
    Dennis

27. Food Frenzy says

Fantastic cupcakes. Your food creations are always incredible. Thanks for another wonderful recipe. Congrats on the Top 9.

28. eatthecookie says

hi carolyn! i love following your blog and have it in my reader! just wondering what kind of almond flour you are using for these. just from looking, it appears to be the trader joe's stuff, and i wonder if using something a little coarser may result in a cupcake with more crumb than sponge, which is how i think of my cupcakes when i make them with the tj's stuff. thanks for the beautiful recipes!
    peace
    liz

29. Jenn says

I have never heard of half the ingredients in those cupcakes? Do you get most of them at Health Food stores? I heard that gluten free cupcakes are really hard to get right. So, you should feel awesome that you did it!! I am a sucker for a good frosting and yours sounds amazing.

30. She's Cookin' says

Almond cupcake or muffin, whatever 😉 Bark would probably be heavenly with a dollop of that gorgeous raspberry cream cheese frosting! Congrats on the Top 9!

31. Evan @swEEts says

What beautiful looking cupcakes! That frosting sounds delicious so I'll have to give it a try. I've had quite a hard time finding a good gluten free cupcake.. I made almond flour cupcakes somewhat recently and had the same problem.. more like a muffin than a cupcake.

32. briarrose says

Oh that frosting looks like heaven. I love the color and the raspberry flavoring. Almond is a great pairing with that fruit.

33. The Mom Chef says

You always blow me away with your creativity and ingenuity. This is no exception. These cupcakes are gorgeous. Raspberry ice cream? Forget the cupcake….I'll just eat the frosting. :)

34. fr jim says

did i miss something……..
    the last ingredient in the cupcake recipe lists: 1/2 tsp of ?????

sorry…..