Coconut Pecan Macaroons with Chocolate Ganache Centers (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

I have to confess, I am not that much of a tea drinker. Don’t me wrong, I like tea, I like it a lot. But when it comes to my hot drink for the morning, I am a coffee drinker, through and through. I consider tea a midday or afternoon drink. The problem is, any caffeine after about 1pm and I don’t sleep well. With three kids, sleep is at a premium and I don’t want to do anything to mess with it. So tea ends up relegated to that occassional afternoon when I need a pick me up and am willing to suffer the consequences.

The funny thing is that I adore the idea of afternoon tea time. I adore it, and could easily picture myself sipping tea and nibbling scones and other treats, a la Enid Blighton or Jane Austen. So when Foodbuzz, the food ad network of which I am a part, proposed a Tea Party Takeover on March 25th in support of the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund, I couldn’t help but sit up and take notice. The “takeover” is Foodbuzz’s Top 9, in which they highlight the Top 9 posts of the day. As much as I like to be included in the Top 9, and have been fortunate to be featured there quite a few times, I have to confess that wasn’t my real motivation. No, no, my real motivation was the fact that it was Tea Time with Kelly Ripa and Electrolux. Really, how could I go wrong, creating a tea party recipe for Kelly Confidential and Electrolux, and Foodbuzz, who will donate $50 for every tea party recipe created by Foodbuzz Featured Publishers? Every woman should be concerned with ovarian cancer, it is a disease that strikes so many women all over the world. Anything I can do to help promote the cause is fine by me – and you can do your part too, by visiting Kelly Confidential and picking out your perfect “Tea Party outfit”

The obvious thing would have been for me to create a recipe for scones, for which I have a lasting love. Scones and clotted cream are the ultimate tea time treat, in my opinion, but tea parties are associated with any number of sweet finger foods. As I happened to have three egg whites in my fridge calling my name, I decided that scones could wait and that I needed to make something with these egg whites. Waste not, want not, after all. And egg whites, being naturally low carb, are a good ingredient for a diabetic tea party. Why not? Diabetics deserve tea parties too. So I cast around for some ideas and finally hit upon macaroons. Not the infamous macarons, of which I have yet to work up the courage to try. But good, old fashioned, coconut macaroons. With a twist.

I suppose I could have just done regular macaroons. But this is supposed to be a party, and when it comes to parties, I let it all hang out. In fact, I usually go overboard. So when I conceived of this recipe, I instantly started scheming on how it could be jazzed up to be more decadent and thus more party-worthy. And so, macaroon nests with a center of chocolate ganache came to mind. I did consider something lighter, like lemon filling, as I had just made some Meyer Lemon curd a few days ago. But lemon curd isn’t really lighter, being made with all sorts of egg yolks and butter, it just seems that way. And I felt that chocolate ganache would stand up better to the intensity of both the pecans and the coconut. Besides, it’s chocolate, and everyone likes chocolate. Even, or perhaps especially, at tea-time.

Pecan Coconut Macaroons with Chocolate Ganache

3 large egg whites
1/4 vanilla extract
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup granulated erythritol (or granulated sugar)
1 tbsp agave nectar
1 1/4 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
1/2 cup finely ground pecans
3 tbsp butter
1 85% cacao Lindt bar, chopped (or 3.5 oz chocolate of your choice)

Preheat the oven to 325F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whip egg whites with salt, vanilla and cream of tarter until they are frothy. With the beater running, slowly add erythritol or sugar and agave nectar and keep beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in coconut and ground pecans.

Drop by small spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets. Use the spoon to create a well in the center of each macaroon and build up the sides. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn off oven and prop open the door with a wooden spoon and let the macaroons cool in oven for about an hour.

In a small metal or ceramic bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water, melt butter and chocolate together. Stir until smooth. Drop spoonfuls of melted chocolate into the center of each macaroon. Let cool until set.

Makes 24 cookies. Each cookie has a total of 9.2g of carbs, but only 3.2 if you subtract erythritol.

Comments

1. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

Chocolate and coconut are a beautiful pairing, especially for a tea time treat. I think tea time should be mandatory, we should all get a nice break in the afternoon.

2. Blog is the New Black says:

LOVE macaroons! :)

3. Your cookies look delicious! I'm not much of a hot tea drinker either. I'll defintely take a tall glass of iced tea in the warmer months though!

wonderful looking macaroons i like the chocolate in the center

5. Umm Mymoonah says:

If it's a low carb and delicious macroon like this, I'll definitely enjoy my afternoon tea a lot. Lovely macroons

6. I would love these with a nice strong coffee – I'm not a tea drinker either!

7. Chef Dennis says:

I would love to try a few of those wonderful macaroons, the chocolate ganache center turned them into legendary cookies!

8. Joy, The Herbed Kitchen says:

A beautiful recipe to go with a great cause. It always amazes me how you can make such scrumptious low car and gluten free food! you have a talent. The lemon curd would have been great but I agree, there is something especially decadent about an afternoon tea with chocolate.

9. Anonymous says:

I am having my morning tea right now and I want to reach into the screen and grab one of those to dunk in it! :-)

-RavieNomNoms

I am happy that you went with the chocolate center. That makes me happy! I am a coffee drinker in the morning and only seem to drink tea when I am sick. Water for me! You did a great job with this recipe for the tea party! Yummy!

11. Magnolia says:

This is so yummy. Thank you very much for sharing!

12. Those looks wonderful.

13. You done yet another fabulous recipe! Love how this turned out! They looks so delicious!And of course fantastic cause

14. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels says:

I'm so happy to see that you made a recipe for the Tea Party! I consider tea to be an afternoon drink too and prefer coffee in the morning. :)
    Your macaroons look perfect! I love the chocolate ganache centers. I wish I had one right now!

15. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel says:

Would love to try one of these!

16. A Thought For Food says:

I'm a macaroon nut. I've had plenty of mediocre ones… but when their homemade like these, they're just fantastic! Can't wait to make some of my own.

17. I am going to try these out! However, I do not do coconut and pecans are nearly impossible to find in Germany supermarkets. So, think I will sub GF oats for the coconut and ground almonds for the pecans – can't wait to see if they turn out!

18. Cake Duchess says:

These macaroons look just wonderful Carolyn!I'm more of an espresso kind of person. Every once in a while…a good hot cup of tea is very relaxing. I did my post today too…such a wonderful cause!

19. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

Love these and perfect for Passover

20. I can't wait to make these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

love,
    harley

21. Those look divine and I will be trying them. Just started following your blog, and started a blog myself as a fellow foodie!

22. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom says:

So tempting, you might even get a coconut-phobic like me to try one.

23. Lick My Spoon says:

am i the only odd one that hates tea AND coffee….AND macaroons!!! but your flavours do sound awesome so id be willing to giove these a try!

24. These sound heavenly. Love the departure from the standard macaroon! I wish I'd had this to finish off my tea party. Would have been the perfect ending!

25. These look delightful! What a wonderful recipe to support a great cause!

26. Carolyn these are simply stunning. I really love them! ♥- Katrina

27. I like the chocolate centers of these macaroon, but I like lemon, too. I would like one of each:) You could try herbal tea, which doesn't have any caffeine, and many different flavors. I like the brand Celestial Seasonings from Boulder, CO.

28. The cookies look so yummy, with a glass of cold milk! Not much of a hot tea drinker myself but I can sure down a gallon of the unsweetened stuff.

29. MikeVFMK says:

I love macaroons and chocolate ganache looks amazing with it! I could use a few with my tea right now.

30. She's Cookin' says:

I adore macaroons! Add pecans and a chocolate ganache center and the fact that they're low carb – perfection. Wonderful tea party entry for a great cause!

31. Feast on the Cheap says:

I'm with Julia, these are calling out for a glass of cold milk! They look wonderful – like a homemade Samoa almost

32. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says:

Carolyn, coconut macaroons are my FAVORITE. The the chocolate on tip makes them that much more irresistible. AWESOME.

33. The cookies look wonderful!

34. Kate @ Diethood.com says:

oh my my my … chocolate ganache on a coconut macaroon… that is incredible!

Tea time for me is after 3 pm… just as you, I have trouble sleeping if I have coffee in the afternoon so if I need to sip on something, I turn to my green tea.

35. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having says:

Gorgeous macaroons! Great recipe for a great cause !

36. Firefly@fireflyblog.org says:

Delicious cookies!

37. What a pretty cookie for a tea party. I love the ganache centers.

38. All That's Left Are The Crumbs says:

I grew up as a tea drinker but I definitely prefer coffee now. These macaroons would be perfect with one right now.

39. with the chocolate in the center it looks super sumptuous!

40. These look gorgeous, Carolyn! I love all the flavors used here! THe photos look incredible! I want to take a few right from the screen! :)

41. Fresh and Foodie says:

Yum! I love macaroons and especially love the idea of chocolate ganache centers. Why not, right? Great recipe!

42. These cookies look awesome, but I will be drinking coffee with you at the tea party. Always my preference :)

43. Beloved Green says:

How perfect would these be for an afternoon snack!

44. Susi's Kochen und Backen says:

While I do like a good cup of tea, my first love is coffee :o) Tea is many times reserved for when I don't feel well. Your macaroons with the chocolate ganache look mouthwatering delicious!

45. Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes says:

These are just lovely.

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe – I can't wait to give it a try!

46. Toyin O. says:

That looks so yummy, thanks for sharing:)

47. A little bit of everything says:

I'd love to be invited at your tea party and enjoy these macaroons. They look great. Love the chocolate on top.

48. I could easily see myself having tea with you and finishing off these macaroons on one lovely, slow-paced (no kids) afternoon. Everything you make look so deceptively sinful, but they're not! You don't know what a savior you are for people like me… :-).

49. Awesome..you do have a variety collection of recipes..
    first time here..like your space very much..I appreciate you for your wonderful presentation..
    glad to follow u…
    do stop by mine sometime..:)
    Tasty Appetite

50. briarrose says:

I love the chocolate center…a perfect cookie.

51. savoringeverybite says:

Oh boy…coconut and chocolate, how heavenly! I love your gluten free treats and this one is really easy based on normal pantry items!

52. My mouth is always watering by the time I get done reading your detailed posts. :) Yum, for these treats.

BTW, I have an AWARD for you at my home place. :)

53. Magic of Spice says:

I like tea as well, but never as a substitute for coffee :) These look fantastic!

54. Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul says:

These look and sound fantastic! I love macaroons, and pecans! I recently posted a recipe for vegan walnut macaroons on my blog; and I often make them using pecans instead. I love the buttery flavor they impart; and with chocolate, even better!

55. Lemon curd might be an interesting choice, but I'm glad you chose chocolate ganache because, just like you said, everyone likes chocolate, and I especially like chocolate ;) Moreover, coconut and chocolate just go together ;))
    Anyway, lovely recipe!

56. I love how many gluten free recipes you make. And they all look so amazing! I'm sending your link to my niece and friend who are both gluten free. They will be so excited!

57. Rachel C - thinladysings says:

Fantastic! Oh good, I never know what to do with my leftover egg whites when using yolk recipes.. and this recipe is right up my alley! Can't wait to try it!!