Chocolate Ginger Scones (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

I used to say that there were only two foods I didn’t like – beets and ginger. But the ginger part of that statement came with qualifications. I’ve always like sweet gingery things, like ginger ale and gingersnaps. I just didn’t like chunks of ginger in my food. And candied ginger was utterly abhorrent to me. I remember once biting into what appeared to be a lovely chocolate, and getting a mouthful of soapy-tasting candied ginger. It was awful! But over the past few years, I’ve come to quite like ginger, including the candied variety. I don’t know how the change from that utter distaste came about, I just know that I was willing to give it a second chance and found that it wasn’t so bad after all. In fact, I found it was quite nice and I started adding ginger to my recipes, both sweet and savoury. (I still don’t like beets, though, and I am not ready to give them a second chance.)

Of course, candied ginger isn’t exactly low carb, being soaked in sugar-water and then rolled in sugar. Until now, that is! See, I became tired of foregoing recipes that included crystallized ginger, and I decided to experiment. It was a scone recipe from Cookin’ Canuck that led me to see if I could make low carb crystallized ginger. When I saw a link to her Crystallized Ginger and Chocolate Scones, I may have swooned. Hers was a basic cream scone with chunks of ginger and chocolate and it was lovely, but I instantly started envisioning a chocolate scone base with ginger and perhaps a chocolate glaze.

But the obstacle was the ginger. At first, I considered just putting in a very small portion of regular candied ginger, but I knew that wouldn’t give it enough oomph. To compete with the chocolate, there had to be a sufficient amount of gingery bite coming through and I wasn’t going to get that with a few tablespoons of ginger. So, it was time to put my favourite sweetener to the task and see if I could create low carb crystallized ginger with erythritol. Would it get sufficiently sweet? Would it dry out properly and become preserved, the way it does with sugar? And would it taste any good in chocolate scones?

The Results: First, the ginger. I am thrilled to tell you that it worked VERY well. I followed the basic instructions for making homemade crystallized ginger from The Kitchn, except that I cut down the amounts by two thirds. I did not want to waste the expensive ingredients if it wasn’t going to work. I also sliced my ginger very thin on a mandolin slicer, to get even thickness. I will say that it’s probably not quite as sweet as the sort made with ginger, and a piece of it on its own has quite a gingery kick. But it’s perfect to hold its own in a baked good like chocolate scones.

And now to the scones. It’s funny to me that in my youth I thought putting ginger in chocolate was akin to sacrilege, because now I love it. Adore it. And I loved these scones. The glaze really wasn’t necessary to make them good, I just liked the look of it. It made them prettier. And chocolatey-er (more chocolatey?), which is always a good thing. It felt very decadent to eat them for breakfast. My kids quite liked them, although I would find a little pile of ginger bits on their plates afterward.

So, lucky you. You are getting two recipes for the price of one today. Enjoy!

Homemade Crystallized Ginger

1/2 cup water
3/4 cup granulated erythritol, divided
1/2 cup peeled ginger, sliced thin (1/8 inch)

In a small saucepan, bring water and 1/2 cup erythritol to a boil, stirring until erythritol dissolves. Add ginger and lower heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.

With a slotted spoon, transfer ginger to a wire rack set over a cookie sheet. Let cool 10 minutes.

Place remaining erythritol in small bowl. Dip each piece of ginger in erythritol, covering completely. Shake of excess and return to rack until dry, about 3 hours. Store in an airtight container*.

*Not sure yet how well preserved it is and how long it can be stored, but mine has been on my counter for 2 weeks and looks good! Also, don’t toss the liquid you boiled the ginger in, it makes a great ginger syrup for drinks and cocktails. In the fridge, some of the erythritol will crystallize out, but it’s still really great.

Chocolate Ginger Scones

Glaze:
1/4 cup powdered erythritol
2 tsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 tbsp milk
1 tsp butter, softened
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

For the scones, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 325F. Whisk together almond flour, cocoa powder, erythritol, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add ginger, making sure to break up any bits that clump together so it is well distributed. Add in the coconut oil, egg, cream, vanilla extract and stevia extract until dough comes together.

Turn out dough onto parchment-lined baking sheet and shape by hand into a rough circle, 7 or 8 inches in diameter. Slice into 8 even wedges and separate carefully, then space evenly around the baking sheet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until scones are firm and lightly browned. Keep an eye on the bottoms to make sure they don’t burn.

Remove from oven, transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

For the glaze, whisk all ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle or spread onto cooled scones.

Makes 8. Each scones has 9g of carbs and 4g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 5g.

**The total carbs of the crystallized ginger comes to about 4g per 1/4 cup.

Comments

I've always felt the same way about chunks of ginger in my food- despised it! But if you changed your mind, maybe I should give it another chance.

2. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

These sound and look amazing

I don't believe I've had chocolate and ginger together. It sounds like a flavor combo I'd love since I like both flavors on their own. These scones look delicious.

4. Happy Friday! You read my mind! Been thinking scones and I didn't see when this came out…However, I thought I'd catch up with you today [not kidding at all].

Awesome!

5. Parsley Sage says:

Well done! It's so cool that you are like this chemical cooking genius and you let your tummy do the walking. Awesome scones and they're totally buzzed!

6. Island Vittles says:

That chocolate glaze is killer! — I haven`t put crystallized ginger in my mouth since 1976, when my dad gave me one of his prize ginger chocolates. Perhaps I should follow your lead and try again. I think candied ginger is one of those adult tastes…Theresa

7. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having says:

Your scones look amazing!
    I enjoy ginger, but somehow crystalized ginger has always bugged. Maybe I should give it another chance. I love that you made your own low carb candied ginger. I wonder if other candied fruits would work..

8. Wow, I'm impressed you made your own crystallized ginger – these scones look awesome!

9. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says:

These look really good. I have to admit that I never liked ginger much either and it still kind of grosses me out. I would eat one of these though because they look so tasty!

10. icancookthat says:

Your photos are beautiful! I'm impressed by the crystallized ginger!

11. Great job… these look and sound amazing!

12. Laurie @simplyscratch says:

I've died and gone to chocolate heaven! I just buzzed the heck out of these on foodbuzz! :)

13. Those delicious looking scones are calling my name. Great recipe. Interesting.

14. Yummy!!! Those scones look delicious!

15. RavieNomNoms says:

I wish I had one of these to snack on right now!! They look so gorgeous and SOOOO yummy!

16. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen says:

I love that you were able to make a diabetic friendly crystallized ginger!

17. Lindselicious says:

Mmm ginger! I totally need to use my almond meal up- this sounds like a great idea!

18. Mmmmmmm, do these flavors ever sound delicious together! Look beautiful too!

19. Cookin' Canuck says:

I love your take on these scones, Carolyn! I am definitely going to try your version.

20. I was quite the opposite. I loved chunks of ginger growing up (it's the Asian upbringing, I suppose), but always found ginger in baked goods a little off-putting. But now I can take ginger either way! And these scones sounds absolutely lovely =)

21. Jen at The Three Little Piglets says:

I used to feel the same way about ginger, but making crystallized ginger yourself really makes it so much better – somehow less pungent. I do still prefer it in things I make myself because I can control the size of the pieces and how much of it I use. But I've even gotten my kids to like it, which is saying something. And it's the perfect compliment to chcolate!

22. I love candied ginger and never really thought about making my own. These scones sound fabulous!

23. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says:

Hmm never even thought about making crystallized ginger myself. Beatiful pictures Carolyn :)

24. Wilde in the Kitchen says:

I never used to cook with ginger either, until grad school when I realized how cheap it was! :) These scones look good, I like the chocolate topping!

25. Beloved Green says:

I'm glad you like the ginger in this recipe. I started growing my own when the taste started growing on me (pun slightly intended). Great recipe!

26. Nancy @ The Sensitive Pantry says:

Ummm, yes please! Ginger and chocolate–sounds incredible.

27. gluten free scones? i'm impressed! the flavor combo sounds elegant and tasty, too.

28. Laura @ GotChocolate says:

GREAT recipe for those that have diet restrictions. YAY!

I'm so glad that you got over your ginger dislike. It's one of my favorite aromatics. In fact, I make my own ginger ale now. I made a batch of double ginger scones and they lasted two days. (We all love them.)

Anyhow, if it wasn't for the chocolate thing ::sigh::, I'd be all over this one too. The picture is gorgeous (does that count?).

30. Love these flavours. I'm a huge fan of scones and these would be the perfect way to start a weekend.

31. These look incredible! Can't believe they are low carb, low sugar scones!!

Funny – my MIL and I were just have this conversation about ginger today! She likes it in gingersnaps and things like that but no where else. I was trying to convince her she was wrong!

32. I wonder what other recipe will open up for you with the rest of your ginger, that you like now, hanging out :) Ginger + chocolate is a wonderful pair, these scone sound fantastic!

33. LOVED this post! I heart ginger… in all forms, but I can understand how it can be an acquired taste! And I love your drive to create a low carb candied ginger… And my friend, we are on the same page! I'm working on 'perfecting' my recipe for cocoa chocolate chip scones. How crazy! And how… I def. want to try your ginger-chocolate combo! Que rico! :D

34. I have got to try the combination of ginger and chocolate. Must. These scones sound awesome. With you on the beets!

35. looks amazing.. honestly i m not fan of giner.. so curious how the choclate d go with ginger..

36. Anne@frommysweetheart says:

I like my ginger in rather small doses, though I do like ginger ale and ginger snaps! I love these beautiful chocolate scones! And I'm so happy you created a chocolate glaze for them! They look wonderful!

37. Love the chocolate scones Carolyn!
    Have you joined us at Project Lunch Box yet? This post would be a great link up

38. I love chocolate, but not ginger, so much. I would love to try the yummy chocolate scones, but leary of the ginger. I should give in and try the scones. I do like beets though.

39. Buttercream Blondie says:

Carolyn these sound great & they look great with the chocolate glaze! Love the chocolate & ginger combo!

40. I've tried combining chocolate and ginger in the form of an ice cream once and it was utterly delicious! So I can immediately tell that your scones, especially with the chocolate glaze on top, tasted dreamy… Can't wait to try this out!

41. Anonymous says:

I made this recipe this morning, and the flavor and aroma are terrific – but the texture leaves a lot to be desired. They are far too crumbly, and I couldn't get even one of them off the cookie sheet and onto the cooling rack without their falling apart. Did you have that issue as well? I just don't know what went wrong – yours are so pretty!

42. Hi there…no I didn't have that issue at all and I am not sure what went wrong either. Was your cookie sheet lined with parchment? They really shouldn't stick to parchment at all. And mine really weren't very crumbly either. Were you using almond flour or almond meal? Almond meal usually results in a coarser, crumblier texture. When I mixed my dough, it really comes together at the end there into a cohesive dough. If you don't find yours doing so, try adding a bit more oil or even another egg. But by the time you shape it, it should really hold together pretty well.

43. Catherine H. says:

I only made the dried crystallized ginger (for the cranberry ginger butter cookies), and I have to say I am now a convert! I never thought I was a fan of ginger, but I am now. I made these both with the extra erythritol for the candied type, and without. I also saved and used the ginger syrup in a cocktail (or two). Warning: keep a light touch with the ginger syrup, since the sugar alcohols in it are highly concentrated after boiling down, and you may ingest more than your body can handle unawares. I know too well of what I speak. Delicious, though.

44. Absolutely can not WAIT to try this recipe!! I was reading over the directions and noticed that it said to add baking soda but I didn’t see it on the ingredients list. Not sure if I’m just not seeing it but could you please tell me how much to add? Thanks! And thanks for your awesome site & Facebook page!!! LOVE IT!!!!!