Chocolate Chocolate Chip Kahlua Ice Cream (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

Something strange has happened to my blog. Usually so devoted to bringing you delectable low carb sweets, I have now published three savoury posts in a row! It is almost unconscionable, and this is obviously a situation I must remedy immediately. I assure you that it is just a random fluke and I won’t let it happen again. It was just an unlikely set of circumstances, wherein I fell a little behind in recipe creation because of my vacation. And I was offered a few sponsored posts that required savoury recipes and that ended up coming out right around same time. So, you see, just a fluke and now I will pull out all the stops with a rich, chocolatey treat. I will lure you back to the dark side with a dessert so sweet and creamy, you will forget I ever did anything else.

As an aside, I would like to acknowledge the sponsored posts, since this has been on my mind for a bit. Food blogging is a surprising amount of work. Those of you who are also food bloggers know what I am talking about. Between recipe creation, testing, photography, writing and editing, posting new recipes each week amounts to a part-time job. But it’s not a part-time job that pays very well. In fact, it pays very poorly. So I will confess that I am not above finding ways to make it a tad more lucrative. Because for the amount of effort I put in, and the amount of attention it diverts from my family, I’d like it to be a little more profitable. I have been testing out ways to do this, but I am also devoted to not letting these things interfere with what this blog is really about: good recipes. I tried out one method for a few days, in which keywords in my posts linked to advertising, but I hated it and quickly got rid of it. I hated the way the highlighted words distracted from the writing and the recipes, and it simply wasn’t worth it to me. As for sponsored posts, when the right offer comes along, I will do them. But let me be very clear that I will only ever accept a sponsored post for a product I would actually use myself and that I feel comfortable recommending to my readers. In the past, I have actually turned down a number of offers that just don’t fit with the theme of this blog. So I assure you, if it’s not something I would feed my own family or use in my own home, I won’t post about it. That doesn’t always mean low carb or gluten free, because you may have noticed that I like to treat my family once in a while, but it does mean quality products that I truly like!

Now that I’ve cleared the air there, let’s get down to the business of this ice cream. I really did need to remedy the situation and come up with a fantastic dessert, and it just so happened that I was craving ice cream. Odd, given that it was very wintery here over the weekend and there are still spots of snow on the ground. But let’s face it, ice cream makes a great dessert no matter what the weather is doing outside. And ever since I made my Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream over the summer, I’ve been scheming on how to amp up the chocolatey-ness of the ice cream base. So this go round, I added some unsweetened chocolate to the custard itself. But I wanted something a little more exciting than plain chocolate ice cream. It didn’t take long before I was adding some coffee powder, some Kahlua and some chopped chocolate pieces. Now we’re talking!

The Results: First let me tell you that I made and tasted this when I had a really bad head cold. But even through some serious congestion, the rich chocolate flavour came through. It is chocolatey with a capital C! The problem is, I am not sure the Kahlua really came through as much as I wanted. I didn’t want to add too much because Kahlua is very sweet and has a fair bit of carbs, so I stuck with 2 tablespoons (15 g of carbs). I think the amount of chocolate in this ice cream overpowered the Kahlua flavour. But I will tell you, if you are looking for a seriously good, chocolatey low carb ice cream, this recipe is perfect! Leave out the Kahlua to save a few carb and enjoy.

If, on the other hand, you really want the Kahlua flavour to shine, I’d say leave out the unsweetened chocolate. It’s essentially the same base ice cream as my Chocolate Peanut Butter recipe, with a little coffee powder and some Kahlua added. Your choice…seriously rich chocolate ice cream or chocolate Kahlua ice cream. Either way, you can’t go wrong!

One final word of review…this one was a huge hit with my 5 year old daughter. She went bonkers over this. I gave her a few spoonfuls when it came out of the ice cream maker, and she begged for more. She was even willing to forego the mountain of Halloween candy she’d collected the night before, to be able to have this for dessert. She’s not always a fan of my low carb creations, so it’s safe to say that you would never know this was a low carb treat!

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Kahlua Ice Cream

2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 cup cream
1/4 cup granulated erythritol
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp instant coffee
4 large egg yolks
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped fine
2 tbsp Kahlua
3 oz high % cacao (I used 85%), chopped

Set a medium bowl in a large container of ice water. Whisk cream, almond milk, erythritol and cocoa powder in a medium saucepan until cocoa powder is mostly dissolved. Over medium heat, stir occasionally and heat until mixture is steaming but not simmering, or 170F on a candy thermometer.

Whisk egg yolks and instant coffee in a small bowl until smooth. Very slowly whisk in 1 cup of the hot cream mixture to temper the yolks. Then slowly whisk tempered yolks back into cream mixture, stirring constantly. Continue to cook until very hot, 175 – 180F.

Add unsweetened chocolate to custard and let sit 1 minute. Whisk briskly until thoroughly combined. Pour custard into bowl set in ice bath, and let cool 10 minutes. Remove and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours.

Stir in Kahlua and stevia and extract, then pour mixture into an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s directions. When mixture reaches soft-serve consistency, transfer to an air-tight container and stir in chopped chocolate pieces. Freeze until firm but not rock hard, 2 to 3 more hours.

Serves 8. Each serving has 8.5 g of carbs and 2.5 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 6 g.

Comments

1. This ice cream looks amazing. Certainly an appropriate recipe for your return to sweet dishes! Mmm.

2. healthyfoodietravels says:

Okay. "Low carb choc chip kahula" kind of blows my mind. My wife is in love with kahlua, I bet she'd love this!

3. Belinda @zomppa says:

Well, we're certainly grateful for your time and dedication to this…and great sweets like this!

4. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

I can't wait to try this one!

5. A Spoonful of Yumm says:

this ice cream looks so good !!

6. Cassie//Bake Your Day says:

I was craving ice cream last night. I think I'm going to crave it today too. Yum!

7. Island Vittles says:

Those chunks of chocolate are driving me crazy and it`s only 7:47am! Theresa

I totally understand about this being a part time job (way over-worked part time job) and not bringing in much. I think your sponsored posts have been very much in keeping with what you blog about and never questioned them.

On to the ice cream though; I need to keep this out of sight of the rest of the family or they'll be at my computer drooling over my monitor. :)

9. JavelinWarrior says:

This is absolutely fetish-worthy and I've been inspired to include it in my Friday Food Fetish blog. If you have any objections, please let me know

10. Eliotseats says:

Love the lo-carb angle!

11. This look so good, and I don't mind your delicious savory recipe, they are all so yummy! Love the photos in this post too..very tempting!!! Buzz ya!

12. I love your savory and your sweet posts so keep them both coming :) This ice cream has me swooning- gorgeous!!

13. Angie's Recipes says:

Your ice cream is really CREAMY and good!

14. Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) says:

That does look sinful — in a good way!

15. RavieNomNoms says:

This looks DIVINE! I mean wow Carolyn. That is just fabulous! I love how creamy it looks. I gotta try it! Where do you find your almond milk?

16. I only started blogging this year, and it's true, it takes a lot of commitment and hard work. That chocolate ice cream looks incredible, with all those big chocolate chunks…

17. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says:

Nom nom nom! You made me giggle with your apology for savory posts. :) I think the sponsored posts you've done have been lovely. I enjoy hearing what people think about products that I might be interested in trying. And I hear ya on the highlighted links thing. I didn't try it because I am SO distracted by every little thing anyway that I knew it wasn't for me. But I don't look down on anybody for doing what works best for them. Kudos to you on this insane treat! :) ♥- K

18. Claire @ The Realistic Nutritionist says:

Omg this looks INCREDIBLE. Can I eat some now? I love your posts lately. Actually, I always love your posts :)

19. Then pour some more Kahlua over the top and serve…. Yum! I'm drooling. Haven't had Kahlua on ice cream (or in it) in years!

20. This ice cream looks amazing!! Love the big chunks of chocolate :).

21. Oh, my gosh!!! This looks amazing!!! This would fulfill my love of coffee ice cream and my family's need for all things to contain chocolate! Buzzed, stumbled, and all the rest!!!

22. Stephanie says:

This ice cream is pretty much amazing. That is all.

23. Barbara Bakes says:

I especially love the melty pictures. It looks so creamy and delicious!

24. This ice cream sounds so decadent and delicious! I can't resisit kahlua!

25. You definitely pulled out all the stops for this decadent ice cream treat – love the combination of coffee and chocolate!

26. Jen at The Three Little Piglets says:

Good for you and sticking to your guns about what you will and won't promote. I once stopped following a blog because the writer was pushing this coffee, saying how great it was, except that she had already written like twenty posts about how she didn't even like coffee. What a turn off! I want an honest opinion, not a commercial!

27. This looks so amazing and I so want a bowl right now.

28. MyFudo™ says:

I want to try your Chocolate ice cream with a capital B…as in Big spoon! This sure looks so delicious. I really have to try this out. I do not care if I am down with a cold too. Ice cream has always been the best remedy for a cold, isn't it? ;)

29. I haven't yet tried erythritol in ice cream, but it's on my to-do list because I read that it might help lower the freezing point (and thus create softer / not-rock-hard) ice cream. How did this do in the freezer – was it scoopable?

30. Baker Street says:

creamilicious and absolutely divine! love it. :)

31. Rachel @ Bakerita says:

Looks absolutely delicious!
    Love the addition of Kahlua…I'm sure the alc in the ice cream makes it super creamy!

32. Laurie {Simply Scratch} says:

*sigh* I love Kahlua… this is amazing!

33. Carolyn,
    I commend you for sticking to the principals of your of your blog. Your ice cream cerainly follows the theme of your blog, luscious, chocolaty, and low carb.

34. Parsley Sage says:

There's the sweet-loving Carolyn I'm used to! This chocolate looks amazing! If I ever get brave enough to try making my own ice cream, I'd def go for uber-chocolate version. Why have Kahlua when you can just have more chocolate :)

35. Parsley Sage says:

And I've got a guest bedroom with your name allllll over it.

36. Even though it is cold out I could really go for some ice cream right now. That dripping bowl looks amazing. I want to lick it up.

37. Cookin' Canuck says:

As much as I love your savory posts, I have to say this ice cream sounds like heaven in a bowl!

38. Glad to see you back on sweets…this ice cream looks incredible!

39. Kate @ Kate from Scratch says:

This ice cream looks and sounds amazing. I'm a huge Kahlua fan, and anything involving ice cream is a winner in my opinion. :)

OMG I want a massive scoop of this ice cream!

41. Spicie Foodie says:

Hi Carolyn, It's been far too long since I last stopped by. But what a treat and great post to have come back for. I am drooling at your ice cream and though it's cold here I want a big bowl of it.
    I totally agree with your opinions and thoughts on the sponsored posts thing. In the end it's all about what we are comfortable with and not doing away with the integrity of our blogs. Have a great Sunday :)

42. Mighty Morgan says:

This sounds and looks AWESOME!!! I make my own ice cream too…only way to truly get a low carb version :) But I never thought of using Almond Milk in it as well….Your a genius!

THANK you for sharing this!!!

43. Magic of Spice says:

I completely agree with your wanting to put your hard work to a bit of profit. I also respect and trust that you would hold up to your standards for your site.
    As for the ice cream…oh my!

44. Cuisine Paradise says:

Your ice-cream look fab and yummy!!! Come in just in time for our hot summer days :)

45. I saw Kahlua ice cream and my brain kind of went crazy. This sounds INCREDIBLE! Like an after dinner drink and dessert all in one. Yum!

46. Im not normally a fan of chocolate ice cream (crazy, I know) but put kahlua in it and I may be accused of stealing more than a bite or two!

47. Roxana GreenGirl says:

I love all your posts, savory or sweet and you don't have to apologize for the sponsored ones. You're a wonderful blogger and companies have to pay you well for mentioning their names. Seems only fair.
    Your ice-cream sounds great, although I don't like chocolate ice-cream I so want to lick the cup in your last photo.

48. Ah, you had me at Kahlua! YOur chocolate ice cream looks so creamy and perfect.

49. Sounds amazing! I think my son, Jonathan, would really love this. He uses almond milk instead of milk all the time and he loves ice cream!

50. Buttercream Blondie says:

Carolyn this ice cream looks awesome! I bookmarked it as soon as I saw it. Kahlua gets me every time ;) So happy I finally got to check it out, great job!

51. At what point do I add the instant coffee? I see it in the ingredients but not in the steps.. I have it chilling in the fridge but forgot about the coffee!

52. I’ve tried several low carb ice creams and they’ve been okay, but this is amazing! There is nothing low carb tasting about it. I might eat the whole batch, which defeats the purpose of low carb, but it is so tasty! I substituted SF Vanilla Syrup and 1t of vanilla extract for the Kahlua and didn’t put in the chocolate chunks at the end and it is still divine. Thank you so much! I love your recipes, they keep low carb tasty and exciting. Happy Memorial Day!

53. Dear Carolyn,

Hi! I’ve been enjoying your recipes! I bought an ice cream maker this week – my first! So, been looking for a LCHF gluten-free recipe. :-)

I am considering reducing my dairy consumption (trying to lose weight). Would full fat coconut milk (can) work instead of heavy cream? As I have never made ice cream before, I am a little intimidated to invent substitutions on my own.

Thanks!!

• It will, but it will freeze harder and be a little icier. Just be prepared to let it sit on the counter for 15 minutes or so before you can eat it. My suggestion would be to freeze in individual portions so that you don’t have to keep letting the whole thing thaw and then freeze over and over.

54. This looks amazing! Can I use your homemade sugar-free kahlua in this? I have it in a bottle waiting to strain in a week or so!

1. [...]  Chocolate Chocolate Chip Kahlua Ice Cream (pictured above) [...]