Three Layer Coconut Cake – Low Carb and Gluten-Free

Yum

Low Carb Coconut Cake @dreamaboutfoodA low carb, gluten-free version of the famous Pepperidge Farm 3-Layer Coconut Cake.  So good, you will never eat storebought again!

I suppose it’s a measure of my accomplishments that I get so many requests for low carb makeovers of beloved recipes.  I certainly take such requests as wonderful compliments and faith in my abilities.  The problem is that I get so many now, and that I say yes to almost all of them, that I can fathom how on earth I will ever get to them all.  With all the ideas I have in my own head of things I want to make, and all the requests from readers, I would have to live to be 150 to accomplish it.  Maybe I will live to 150, just to do it!  The other problem is that I often forget who requested what.  This time, however, I sorted through my email to find that Julie requested this back in February.  She wanted a Pepperidge-Farm style Three Layer Coconut Cake, just like the ones her grandparents used to buy her on her birthday as a child.

Low Carb 3-Layer Coconut Cake

I thought to myself that such a cake wouldn’t be difficult at all, and I figured I would combine it with my work for Kelapo Coconut because, hey, it’s coconut cake!  I knew that Kelapo coconut oil would be a perfect replacement for the butter to produce a really tender, moist cake.  I also figured it would be fun to try making coconut whipped cream to frost it with, but as you will see from my guest post on Kelapo Coconut, my lack of planning and my impatience kept me from being perfectly successful at that.  No matter, I recovered the frosting and the cake ended up being as delicious as the one in my head.  I can’t say I’ve ever had the Pepperidge Farm version, but I think is probably a pretty good approximation.  And my kids, who always declare they don’t like coconut, adored this cake…light coconutty flavour without being overpowering or sickeningly sweet.

So hop on over to the Kelapo Coconut blog and enjoy!

Serves 12.  Each serving has 7.7 g of carbs and 3 g of fiber.  Total NET CARBS = 4.7 g.

Low Carb Three Layer Coconut Cake

Comments

1. india white says

Love your site….we are a gluten free family. I would love the recipie for the coconut cake put cannot seem to locate it :(
    HELP :)

2. Gerri says

Does that look delicious! And, beautiful.

If you’re up for another request (know you like a challenge), I’d be forever in your debt for a LC pretzel recipe. Thanks.

3. Batya says

I’ve been having a great deal of trouble lately when I try making whipped coconut cream; the fat in the coconut milk seems to solidify too completely, more like butter than cream, and refuses to whip at all. What am I doing wrong?

• Carolyn says

That was my issue too, when I put it in the freezer. Question…what brand of coconut milk are you using?

4. says

Oh MY GOODNESS! – you were reading my mind! I came across another low carb recipe for this a short time back – but this was always one of my favorite indulgences years ago! Thank you!!!

5. Sarah W says

What brand of unflavored whey powder did you use? I live in a very small, remote town and must plan my shopping in advance for many ingredients. This cake will be served for Mother’s Day. thanks so much for a great recipe.

6. Cathy M says

this cake came out very well- made it as a mini sheet cake and it’s good without frosting. thanks for the recipe.

7. Patti says

Oh my, this is my favorite store bought cake and I haven’t had it in years. I have a question for you about the sweetener. Can I use Swerve in this recipe instead of the erythritol listed in the three different parts to the cake?

• Carolyn says

Yes you can. I used swerve, actually. I just wrote erythritol because Swerve is a brand name and I didn’t want to mention another brand on Kelapo’s site! 😉

8. Julia Sweeney says

Can I make the whipped cream ahead of time? Nervous it will separate. Do you frost the cake and then chill it or wait until it’s about to be served? Thanks!

9. Vicky Hamilton says

Can’t get the link to coconut cake to work. Can anyone email it? Does anyone know if it’s in one of the low carb among friends cookbooks? We Re remote, will have to order the cookbook(s) online.