This Spicy Sausage and Cheddar Stuffing is the perfect low carb side dish for your Thanksgiving table.
I asked my Facebook followers a few weeks ago what Thanksgiving dish they missed most on their low carb and/or gluten-free diet. There were a variety of answers, from pecan pie to candied yams. But the overwhelming majority said stuffing, that delectable, moist, bread-filled side dish that soaks up gravy so nicely. I totally get that. My first year on low carb, I came up with an okay stuffing that used a reduced-carb wheat flour (obviously not gluten-free). My second year, I think I just skipped the stuffing altogether and its absence was sorely felt. But last year, I came up with a truly low carb, gluten-free stuffing that instantly became a family favourite. I daresay my kids would rather eat that than the turkey! So it was very hard not to blurt it out to my readers and Facebook fans right then and there.
I could hardly wait to reveal this recipe. It’s everything you want in a stuffing: the bread is soft and soaks up all the other flavours, but the top has crispy bits from baking in the oven. The whole recipe is based on my Cheesy Skillet Bread, which is perhaps one of my best savoury creations of all time. Not exaggerating. That stuff is heavenly…soft and tender in the middle, crispy around the edges. And it dries out so perfectly in the oven, allowing it to soak up the eggs and broth and all the delicious stuffing-y goodness. My family loves this stuffing recipe so much that even though it will only be the 5 of us for Thanksgiving dinner, I plan on making a double batch!
Enjoy, and have a wonderful low carb, gluten-free Thanksgiving!
Spicy Sausage and Cheddar Stuffing – Low Carb and Gluten-Free #freshfestive
Look no further, this is the ultimate low carb, gluten-free stuffing recipe. A perfect Thanksgiving side dish.
- 1 recipe Cheesy Skillet Bread
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- A day or two in advance, make the skillet bread and cube into 1/2 inch pieces. Preheat oven to 200F.
- Spread bread cubes on a large baking sheet and bake 2 to 3 hours, until well dried and crisp. Let sit out overnight to continue to dry.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add sausage; sauté until just cooked through, about 6 minutes, breaking up large chunks with a wooden spoon.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a large bowl. Add celery, onion, garlic, sage, salt and pepper to skillet and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add to sausage.
- Preheat oven to 350F and butter a large 13x9 inch glass baking dish. Add cubed bread to sausage mixture. Add chicken broth and toss to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with cream and pour over mixture in bowl. Toss until well combined and transfer to prepared baking dish. Bake 35 minutes, uncovered, until top is crusty and browned.
Serves 16. Each serving has 334 Calories; 30g Fat (79.0% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 122mg Cholesterol; 529mg Sodium. Total NET CARBS = 2 g.