My popular keto cheesy bread is baked in a skillet for an easy low carb side dish. Deliciously tender, with a crisp topping of cheddar cheese, it makes the best low carb Thanksgiving stuffing too! With a how-to video.
This tender skillet cheese bread is one of my favorite keto bread recipes. And it’s not just me! It’s a fan favorite and goes with everything! Try it with some Keto Soups and Stews for the perfect comfort food.
I approach skillet recipes that are baked in the oven with some trepidation, because it’s almost inevitable that someone will try to pick up the hot skillet with their bare hands. I remember in vivid detail my husband wrapping his hand around the handle of skillet I had removed from the oven only a few minutes before.
It was one of those slow motion moments, where I could see him reaching for it and I couldn’t get the words out of my mouth fast enough to stop him. The single syllable “No” never seemed like such an intricate word in that millisecond of time, as my tongue and mouth tried to form it in advance of the huge mistake he was about to make.
I didn’t manage it and he burned the palm of his hand quite badly. It blistered mightily and was painful for days. That was over 10 years ago and I have the whole scenario imprinted on my brain. I’ve now learned to leave the oven mitt ON the handle of the skillet once it’s removed from the oven, if only as warning to the unsuspecting soul who is simply trying to help get dinner on the table.
Keto Cheesy Bread Video
Third degree burns aside, this cheesy skillet bread is my new go-to low carb quick bread recipes. It’s savoury, easy to make and every single member of my family loves it. The inspiration for this keto bread recipe started with one for skillet cornbread that I used to make on occasion.
Cornbread may be gluten-free, but it is not even remotely low carb, and I was wondering if I could come up with a savory skillet bread that would bake up in a similar fashion. It was pure gut feeling on this one, trying to get a consistency that I thought would work. I was actually worried that if I made it too moist, I would end up with a center that wouldn’t cook through.
Thankfully, my fears were groundless. The keto bread recipe worked! The skillet bread baked up beautifully, and pouring the batter into a hot buttered skillet meant that it had a crispy browned crust.
I also have a great keto cornbread recipe, so be sure to check that out!
How to make Keto Cheesy Skillet Bread
This might be the easiest keto bread recipe you ever make. One bowl, one hot pan, pop it in the oven, and you’re done! Here are my best tips for the best results:
- Be sure to choose a 10-inch oven proof skillet. It doesn’t need to be cast iron, although that’s the best way to get a nice browned crust on the outside.
- Place some butter in the pan and let it melt as the oven heats up. This helps grease the pan and the batter starts cooking the moment it hits the pan.
- I love the combination of the almond flour and flax seed but if you don’t want to use flax, you can use another 1/2 cup of almond flour. The bread turns out a touch more crumbly that way so you may want to add 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum to give it a bit more structure.
- Mix most of the shredded cheddar into the batter itself but be sure to save 1/2 cup for the top. It gets delightfully crusty as it bakes.
- Be sure to let your melted butter cool a bit before adding it to the batter, so that it doesn’t cook the eggs.
- Always remember your oven mitts when taking the hot pan out of the oven. And remember that cast iron holds its heat for a while so be sure to grab it with an oven mitt for about 30 minutes afterwards. We don’t want any bad burns on your hand!
Great for Keto Thanksgiving Stuffing
I have turned this easy keto bread recipe into Thanksgiving stuffing numerous times and it always gets rave reviews. The trick is to dry the bread out very well in your oven the day before. Then proceed with the usual stuffing ingredients and bake. I really like to turn it into this keto stuffing recipe.
Many people have made this same recipe and loved it. One reader showed me photos from her Thanksgiving dinner which included my low carb stuffing as well as a conventional one. The only one that was all gone was mine!
More Keto Skillet Recipes to Try:
- Keto Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Keto Chicken Enchilada Skillet
- Keto Jalapeno Cheddar Skillet Meatloaf
- Keto Lasagna Skillet
- Keto Cheesesteak Skillet
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Skillet
Keto Cheesy Bread
- 1 tbsp butter for the skillet
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 & 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese divided
- 3 large eggs lightly beaen
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 425F. Add 1 tbsp butter to a 10-inch oven-proof skillet and place in oven.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, flax seed meal, baking powder, salt and 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Stir in the eggs, melted butter and almond milk until thoroughly combined.
- Remove hot skillet from oven (remember to put on your oven mitts), and swirl butter to coat sides.
- Pour batter into pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar.
- Bake 16 to 20 minutes, or until browned around the edges and set through the middle. Cheese on top should be nicely browned.
- Remove and let cool 15 minutes.