This Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe starts with the original Low Carb Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. Accept no substitutes! Your favorite grain-free cookie dough baked into low carb skillet cookies, making one awesomely gooey keto dessert. Sugar-free and THM friendly. And a new how-to video, to show you just how easy it is to make.
I often feel very lucky to be a food blogger with a very specific niche, because I have to deal with far less one-upmanship than conventional food bloggers. I don’t have to worry about out-doing my fellow bloggers and taking my recipes beyond the beyond. It’s enough for me to take simpler ideas and execute them well, as people on a low carb diet are usually just glad to have their old favourites recreated in a form that meets their dietary needs.
I don’t have to make brownie stuffed chocolate chip cookies or make donuts out of croissants to make a name for myself. Just take a look around Pinterest and you’ll know of what I speak. The need to dream up ever more elaborate creations must be exhausting at times. It makes my life considerably easier not to have to stuff a cookie inside a brownie inside a cake and top it all off with cookie-brownie dough frosting. A really good low carb chocolate chip cookie is an achievement in itself. Because there is nothing better in the world than a really good chocolate chip cookie right out of the oven. Especially when they’re low carb skillet chocolate chip cookies!
That is not to say that I don’t get plenty of inspiration from my fellow bloggers, most of whom are enormously talented. And that’s not to say that I don’t sometimes look at my own recipes and wonder how I can take them to the next level. Often these two things come together.
I see a conventional recipe from a blogger friend and wonder if I can achieve that very thing, using low carb, gluten-free ingredients. I have Pinterest boards devoted to these gorgeous and delicious recipes that I am itching to make over. You just won’t find me stuffing one of them with another; I want to enjoy each of them individually.
How to Make a Low Carb Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
The idea of baking cookies and brownies in a skillet is one that appealed to me from the get-go. I’ve admired many such a creation, because they have a gooey-ness that just calls to me. It says “grab a spoon and a friend or two and plonk yourself down, you’re going to be here a while”.
After I made my keto chocolate chip cookies, I began to wonder if that dough might make a good skillet cookie. The question is, why didn’t I try it earlier? Well, you could bake such a thing in any old skillet, but it sure looks extra purdy in a cast iron skillet. And the only cast iron skillet I owned was a very large, very heavy 12-inch pan that seemed like it might be a little too big. So I hit TJ Maxx, where I’d seen a few smaller skillets on sale. What I really wanted was to get several small skillets, 5 or 6 inches in diameter, to make two skillet chocolate chip cookies. But I had to settle for a single 10-inch skillet…which turned out to be just perfect for ONE low carb skillet chocolate chip cookie.
Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Adaptations
As for the keto cookie dough recipe itself, I did shake things up a bit. Here are the changes I made to the original low carb chocolate chip cookie recipe:
- Baking soda instead of baking powder. I’ve read it helps cookies brown a little better.
- Instead of making my own sugar-free chocolate chips this time, I picked up a package of Lily’s chocolate chips. They are sweetened only with erythritol and stevia and thus far, are the best commercial sugar-free chips I can find. I bought mine at Whole Foods but you can also purchase them on Amazon.com. They are pricey, but great in a pinch when I don’t have time to make my own. But a chopped up dark chocolate bar or a handful of my chips would also do well in this recipe.
This is an updated post and I have to take a moment to tell you just how good this skillet chocolate chip cookie is. I have made it for my birthday dessert three years running. Topped with a little low carb vanilla ice cream and some of my keto hot fudge sauce, and it is just AH-MAZING!!!
Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookies – Low Carb and Gluten-Free
- Preheat the oven to 325F and lightly grease a 10-inch oven-proof skillet (does not need to be cast-iron).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in sweetener and Yacon syrup, if using.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Beat in almond flour mixture until well combined, then stir in chocolate chips or chopped chocolate.
- Spread dough in prepared skillet and bake 20 to 25 minutes, until light golden brown. Cookie will be very soft and puffed when removed from oven (it won't seem cooked through).
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving. When warm, it will not come out in proper pieces so you will need scoop it out to serve onto plates. It will continue to firm up as it cools so if you want to serve it in pieces, let it cool completely before cutting. I recommend it warm for extra gooey-ness!