Slow Cooker Chocolate Cake

This might just be the best low carb chocolate cake I’ve ever made. So rich and moist, it doesn’t need any frosting. And no need to heat up the kitchen when you cook it in your slow cooker or crockpot!
Low Carb Slow Cooker Chocolate CakeThere is a serious dearth of low carb slow cooker recipes here on All Day I Dream About Food, and for that I apologize. See, slow cookers aren’t really my thing. At least, they weren’t until about a month ago. I know people who love them and swear by them and there are whole blogs devoted to them, but I never really saw the appeal. I understood the attraction of popping a whole bunch of ingredients into a slow cooker, setting the timer and walking away, but all the recipes I ever tried turned out rather flavourless and uninspiring. The most action my old slow cooker got was when I went through a bout of making homemade yogurt. It turned out to be pretty useful in that regard. But most meals were best made on the stovetop and in the oven, in my opinion, so my slow cooker hung out down in the basement, gathering dust.

I now think that part of my prejudice against slow cookers was due to not having a particularly good one. The old crock pot we had always gave off a funny smell when it was heating and it took forever to cook things through. I mean, I know slow cookers are supposed to be slow, but this one truly took ages. I finally gave up on it completely after a recipe for slow cooked cabbage and sausage never truly cooked at all and had to be finished off in our oven. That was it for me and slow cookers, I thought.

Low Carb Sugar-Free Slow Cooker Chocolate Cake

Fate, however, thought otherwise. I was invited to be a part of a slow cooker charity cookbook that will be coming out in the fall, and Hamilton Beach very kindly supplied me with a brand new slow cooker to test out for my recipes. I’d met the good folks from Hamilton Beach at a recent conference and they showed me then and there that slow cookers had so much more to offer than I ever thought. They were whipping up plenty of tasty items right there and one of them happened to be a chocolate cake. Um, chocolate cake in a slow cooker? I was floored. And determined to make a low carb, gluten free chocolate cake to rival it’s high carb, sugary counterpart.

Rich Chocolate Cake cooked in a Crock Pot

When my new slow cooker arrived, I put it through its paces. I tested it out on some pulled pork, some yogurt, and a stuffed tenderloin recipe that will be in the charity cookbook. Everything turned out beautifully so I decided it was time to tackle the low carb slow cooker chocolate cake. Oh. My. Word. This cake was so good, so unbelievably moist and rich, I actually  made it twice within three days. That is saying a lot, my friends. I love experimenting with recipes so much that for me to make something twice, exactly the same way, is a really big deal. It was a huge hit with the whole family, and if you own a slow cooker, you are going to want to make this as soon as possible. Like…right now! And if you don’t own a slow cooker but are looking for one, I highly recommend the Set & Forget 6 Qt Programmable Slow Cooker from Hamilton Beach.

Low Carb Gluten Free Slow Cooker Chocolate Cake

Disclosure: I did receive a Hamilton Beach slow cooker to test and review for this post, but all thoughts and opinions are my own.

Slow Cooker Dark Chocolate Cake

Yield: 10 servings

Slow Cooker Dark Chocolate Cake

This might just be the best low carb chocolate cake I've ever made. So rich and moist, it doesn't need any frosting. And no need to heat up the kitchen when you cook it in your slow cooker or crockpot!

Ingredients

Instructions

1. Grease the insert of a 6 quart slow cooker well.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, sweetener, cocoa powder, whey protein powder, baking powder and salt.
  3. Stir in butter, eggs, almond milk and vanilla extract until well combined, then stir in chocolate chips, if using.
  4. Pour into prepared insert and cook on low for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. It will be gooey and like a pudding cake at 2 1/2 hours, and more cakey at 3 hours.
  5. Turn slow cooker off and let cool 20 to 30 minutes, then cut into pieces and serve warm. Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream.

Notes

Serves 10. Each serving has 11.65 g of carbs and 5.38 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 6.27 g.

Food energy: 275kcal Saturated fatty acids: 9.62g Total fat: 22.94g Calories from fat: 206 Cholesterol: 99mg Carbohydrate: 11.65g Total dietary fiber: 5.38g Protein: 9.91g Sodium: 209mg

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

RELATED POSTS

Low Carb Chocolate Peanut Butter Layer Cake

Low Carb Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

Low Carb Chocolate Pound Cake

Low Carb Chocolate Pound Cake

Chocolate Bundt Cake with Stout Caramel Sauce

Low Carb Chocolate Bundt Cake with Stout Caramel Sauce

Comments

1. This looks amazing- totally acceptable to start out my Monday morning with some Chocolate Cake, right? Pinned!

2. I did slow cookie cookie bars once and they ended up slightly burned on the outside and not quite done on the inside. I’ve noticed that when my slow cooker is less than half full that things over cook and cook unevenly. I bought a smaller crockpot for the small volume liwuid things and that works but I wonder if it would work for dessert too. Maybe I need to just get a programmable large one, since my big one is nothing fancy. But anyway love this cake! I’d love to add nuts to it.

3. I’ve never tried baking a cake in my slow cooker – fun idea!

4. Mary Anna says:

Yum! And when my old slow cooker died, three or four years ago, that Hamilton Beach is the one I replaced it with – it’s fantastic. (Always gets comments when I bring it to a party or a potluck, especially with the bits that lock the lid on.) Think I’ll have to make this later in the week…

5. Could you make this cake in a smaller crockpot? Just 1/2 the recipe?
    Recipe looks good!
    Patti :)

6. This definitely takes all the worry and work out of cake baking. Love it!

7. OH, WOW.
    I thought we were fancy for making oatmeal in the crockpot, once upon a time… this is a fab idea.

8. Anything done differently with an 8 qt?

I have an 8 qt Hamilton Beach…but it tends to burn everything more than hour before it’s supposed to done.

9. Oh my. This looks so dark, rich and sinful that it should be illegal.

My Crock Pot’s been rather neglected this summer, since we’ve been grilling almost every week. Might as well put it to use!

10. Did you preheat the crockpot, then add the cake ingredients?

11. This recipe sounds delish. Other than stuff like stewed apples I’ve never made a dessert in a slow cooker; especially not a low carb cake which has its own little niche. I’ll definitely be pulling out the cooker for this one even though it’s usually on lockdown until fall. Coincidentally I happen to own the same Hamilton Beach slow cooker which I totally enjoy. It has some really useful and nifty features like the 3 different ways you can use and program it (automatic, probe and manual). The probe is especially nice for roasts and I’ve only seen that feature on Hamilton Beach. Since I got this one a couple of years ago the other one I had seems primitive. I’m already greedily hoping you’ll be sending some more slow cooker low carb dessert recipes our way.

12. kim donegan says:

I was wondering if you could use something than whey protein? I have all the other ingredients.

13. Hello. This looks great ! Can i bake the cake in the oven ?

• You could, but it won’t be the same at all. An oven is dry heat whereas a slow cooker is very moist heat. It may dry out too much. You can certainly try, though. I would bake at 325F with a pan of water in the oven too, to try to keep it from drying out.

14. I made this cake this morning, it was easy and cooked beautifully. The family loved it! It will be a favorite recipe for us that I am sure I will make often.

15. Just in case it’s helpful to someone . . . I made this in my tiny 1.5 quart cooker last night. I used half the recipe and cooked for 3.5 hours, before turning off to cool. It came out lovely and brownie-like. Another 1/2 hour would have been more cake-y, I’m sure. I love it! Thank you so much for your amazing (life-saving) recipes, Carolyn!!

• That slow cooker is really only 1/4 of my size, so I can imagine it took longer to bake. But so glad it worked!

• Sherrie Lee says:

Thank you! I had been reading through the recipe and wondered if my 1-1/2 qt slow cooker would work. I halved the recipe and cooked for 3-1/3 hrs on low (no pre-heating), then let cool for about 20 mins. Mine came out more cakey, with the sides nearest the bottom starting to get a little hard/overcooked. Next time I’ll cut the time to 2-1/2 hrs and cool for 30 mins to see if I can get the gooey, pudding like cake. The taste was awesome! I guess the brand of slow cooker might make a difference. The one I have is a “Kitchen Gourmet” brand. The cake is 2″ high, so while the slow cooker is 1/4 the size, I think 1/2 the batter came out perfect.

Thanks Rachel for passing on the information, I would have 1/4 the batter and hoped it came out okay. With your comment, I immediately printed the recipe, headed to the kitchen, and went for it!

Again Carolyn, another awesome recipe! So chocolatey and moist! I’m glad that you got a new slow cooker and will be posting more recipes for them. They are awesome, especially when it’s hot and you don’t want to heat up the kitchen. It sounds like maybe you had a defective slow cooker that ruined your recipes previously. :-( The Hamilton Beach slow cooker looks like a really high end one- I’ve never seen one with a probe. I love the idea of the seal on the lid and being able to lock it in place for traveling without spills. I might have to put this one on my Christmas wish list!

Thanks again!

Sherrie Lee

16. Shantana says:

what would you use instead of the whey protein. I’m allergic to it, and can you use a raw sugar instead of the sweetner?

• You can try egg white or hemp protein. I am sure you can use another sweetener, as long as it’s not a liquid sweetener, which would introduce too much moisture.

17. Christine says:

Just mixed this up and realized there was one fact I didn’t know– is this to cook covered or uncovered? Almost everything in a crockpot should be covered to allow it to come to temp, so I put the lid on, but since cakes are usually cooked UNcovered, I thought I’d ask for future reference…

18. I wonder vanilla whet protein powder would work. That is all I have at the time.

19. Lucrecia says:

Oh you clever woman! Am busy making this right now! I have left out the chocolate, as I’m allergic to it, but have made it more vanilla like. Too hot here to bake in the oven so the crock pot is a genius idea!

• Lucrecia, Could you share your recipe changes for a more vanilla cake and the results? I am very sensitive to caffeine (chocolate) and would love another version of this excellent recipe. I’ve made 2 of these cakes in 2 days and they’re just wonderful! I put German Choc. icing on one of them for my husband. You know, the junk in the can. I also put a piece of parchment on the bottom of the slow cooker to help enable the cake to come out in one piece, which worked beautifully.
      Tina

• I am not Lucrecia but I’d say you’re looking at substituting the cocoa powder with another 1 cup of almond flour. I might also do 2 tbsp or so of coconut flour to help “dry” it out a bit, since cocoa powder is so dry and powdery.

• Thank you so much. I’ll try it and let you know how it goes.

• Well, I tried this method (another cup of almond flour, 2 T. coconut flour and no cocoa powder). Once again, I forgot to watch the time and I ended up letting this one cook for 5 hours! Goodness, this is the most forgiving recipe! It is delicious. It probably would be better cooked for less time, but on the second day, it tasted like pound cake. Unbelievable recipe!
            Thank you Carolyn.

• You need to get yourself a kitchen timer! ;)

20. Such a great way to bake a cake!!

21. For the crockpot chocolate cake, what can I use instead of the whey protein powder. I can’t do dairy.
    Thanks!

22. Is egg white protein the same as meringue powder. If it is could I use that for the cake, and do I measure it like the protein powder?

• Yes, as long as the meringue powder is unsweetened (I get mine at Whole Foods). And yes, you can measure it like the whey powder.

23. Danielle says:

Can I sub hwc for the milk? I’m out of almond :(

24. Laura Sheridan says:

Thank you! I used to make an unhealthy version of this very cake! I was just thinking about how I would love to have a healthy version! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

25. Hi!
    This recipe had delicious results.
    Being Australian, I replaced Swerve with Natvia sweetener which is available to us. Turns out this is the same thing, a pretty good quality 1-1 sugar replacement. I reduced it to 1 cup instead of 3/4 to be sure not to over sweeten. Next time I will add the full 3/4 because it was perfectly fine.
    The batter turned out very runny. This may be normal though I think because it is going in a slow cooker which needs a bit more moisture for the long cook. It wasn’t a problem, the cake was perfect at the end.
    My slow cooker was large, and so it cooked this cake in 1.5 hours.
    CHEERS

26. Baerbel schlatter says:

Carolyn, you must have read my mind. I have moved a week ago from the very pleasant San Francisco Bay Area to HOT El Dorado Hills, were temps go too often way over 100 degree F. To turn on an oven is just unthinkable. Busy unpacking boxes, which seem to be multiplying, lol, I was sad to have no time to prepare treats for my visiting grandkids. This recipe is heaven sent! What would we do without you! As always you amaze me! Thanks! Barbara (Baerbel)

27. I added a tablespoon of dark rum to this and it added little caramel rum tasting goops that were just amazing. I don’t know if they came from something else, really didn’t expect it, but the goops were light brown in color and I couldn’t think of anything else causing it. Noms.

28. I made this cake this afternoon – poured the batter into the slow cooker, set it on low, and went out to the dog park with my pooch. An hour & a half later, when I got home, I realized I had forgotten to plug in the cooker! Oh well, what did I have to lose. I plugged it in and left it cooking for 2 3/4 hours, then let it sit for 20 minutes as you suggested. My husband and I just finished warm pieces of the most delectable rich chocolate cake (with ice cream on the side). This recipe is so simple and fast to put together, obviously foolproof, and absolutely delicious. Thank you!

29. Amazing! So good! Are there any substitutions for the almond flour that I might try to lower the cost?

• Hmmm, not sure what would low the cost. You could try grinding your own almonds but it might not be fine enough.

30. I’m sorry if this is a 2nd post I don’t see the original one to this. How could I sub coconu flour into the recipe. Also for the kids I would like to use honey. How could I do that?

• I’d use about 1/2 cup of coconut flour and add an extra egg. I don’t know how to sub honey because I never use it. It adds in some liquid so you’d need to cut back on the liquid content a bit.

31. I’m in the UK and I don’t understand what you mean by ‘the insert’? Do you mean the ceramic dish that one cooks meat etc in, in which case does the moisture come from the cake mixture itself? Or do you have something more like a cake tin than sits inside your cooker?

Whilst I am pestering you, please could you tell me how big your muffin cups are, regular size and mini?

Using US recipes here is challenging with a totally different measuring system, different sizes for eggs, different names for vegetables, unobtainable products etc, but I’m up for it with the necessary information to hand!

• Yes, the ceramic part is the insert. You insert it into the metal part that heats up and that’s what my Hamilton Beach model called it. So no extra pans or anything. The problem with muffin cups is that they aren’t standardized and different companies make them slightly different sizes. But a standard muffin tin has 12 cavities that are about 1/2 cups to 3/4 cups each. The mini hold maybe a few tablespoons.

32. This is in my slow cooker right now. Can’t wait to experience the results. I was thinking, after reading the comments, that this might make a good jumping off point for coming up with a slow cooker gingerbread. Once we get toward the holidays, do you think you might come up with one? I may experiment on my own, but I’m sure yours would be better! Thanks for this – it’s nice to make a cake without heating up the house.

33. Can you tell me the measurement for trivia in place of swerve? That’s the only sweetener I have. Thanks!

• I don’t know for sure because I don’t use Truvia but it their baking blend is meant to measure cup for cup, then you can do a direct substitution.

34. Made this tonight! Use xylitol instead of swerve. I made it in my Hamilton Beach 6 qt slow cooker, and I turned it off at about 2.5 hrs. It ended up a bit dry, the whipped cream helps :) I will try again and stop closer to 2 hrs. Thanks for the recipe!

35. Okay I don’t have the baking blend just regular truvia. But thanks for answering! I’ll give it a go, the cake looks wonderful!

36. Carolyn Viola says:

Do you think I could add zucchini to this without messing it up? how much could i add?

• Good question. I think if you did about 2 cups fresh, drained it REALLY well (salted, let it drain for at least an hour and then squeeze out as much moisture as possible), and then added less liquid (maybe 1/4 cup less?), it would work. Can’t say for sure because I haven’t tried it!

37. Looks Yummy!! Chocolate is my favorite food group! ;)

38. Elizabeth says:

Can the slices be frozen?

39. I have a 7quart crock pot. Are there any changes I should make to the recipe so that it comes out right?

40. Made this today. Tasty and moist!! Super easy too! But, very minor small problem. . . it is crumbling apart a bit. I was wondering if xanathan gum might help? How much xanathan gum would you recommend if I wanted to try adding that to help it hold together?

• It’s strange that it was crumbly. It shouldn’t be, not with all those eggs. But if you want to use xanthan, I do about 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp.

• Oh gosh, please disregard my comment. It was only random parts of it that crumbled. And the middle (and edges on some parts) was amazing. I think my slow cooker is cooking uneven. Its an older one. I will be asking for a new one as a Christmas present this year. ;-)
        I have been making this cheesecake in a mug recipe that I found on Pinterest. It turns out like a very very thick cheesecake pudding. . . A light went off in my head last night and I slice the cake in half, layered some of the chilled cheesecake in the middle and then put some of my home made starwberry sugar free jelly on top of the cake. Its so amazing. So so amazing. Thanks for the great recipes!

41. Angie Clowes says:

Whoa- I just made this cake and I was so floored by how amazing my house smelled while it was cooking that there was no possible way I could save it til’ after dinner! I sampled it (hopefully nobody will notice, lol) and my mind is blown! I have been low-carbing for 14 years off and on and I have never come across a cake recipe that tastes this decadent…..thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!

42. This sounds delicious! Would almond flour work ok? I really do not like the flavor of coconut at all.

43. Please forget stupid question I posted about using almond flour instead of coconut. Didn’t read recipe right. Must have been thinking of another one. But maybe you can still answer. Can almond flour be used instead of coconut for most recipes?

• It really depends on the recipe. Coconut flour and almond flour behave so differently. Coconut is extremely dense and requires far more eggs and liquid than almond so the recipe won’t just work with a direct substitution.

44. I just made this cake and I have to say it is my favorite recipe thus far. Everyone in the family thought it was delicious. Thank you so much for helping us low carbers not feel like we are missing out in life. Excellent job, Carolyn!

45. Don’t know what happened! But it didn’t turn out. Not enough liquid, went in dry and crumbly, came out dry and crumbly!

46. I am really allergic to all protein powders so I tried out substituting 2 tbsp Great Lakes kosher gelatin for the protein powder. I didn’t change any other ingredients. It worked great! Delicious and moist and it did rise so I would call it a success.

47. Just made this tonight, and it’s amazing. I had chocolate whey protein on hand, so I used that instead of unflavored, worked great. Thank you!!

48. Ok, this was so good it might be a really bad idea to have so much of it in the house! I don’t have a smaller crock pot, but I’m wondering if I could make a half batch, spoon the batter into silicone muffin cups, and put them in my slow cooker to bake. Any guess on how to adjust the cooking time? I may have to just experiment.

49. Are you kidding me? This cake is ridiculous! Soooooo YUM!

50. I have been making a lovely slow-cooker praline cheesecake for a couple of years. It tastes as good as cheesecake from “that famous restaurant,” and has a perfect texture…except it’s sugar-free, and only a few carbs per slice. I use a 7 inch souffle pan set on top of an aluminum foil ring inside my slow cooker insert, and do the water bath in the insert, with a dish towel under the lid to catch any drips. I usually use pecan meal for the crust, although most recently I used your Cinnamon Crunch cereal, which was spectacular.

51. This just sounds (and looks!) amazing! Might be a reason to _finally_ get myself a slow cooker… I didn’t even know that you can make cake in it! Thanks for a great recipe!

• Definitely do it, Elviira. They can be so useful and until a few months ago, I didn’t know you could make cake in it either!

52. Just put this in my crock!

53. Thank you for this!!! My 4 year old helped me make this as a birthday cake for her very health conscious father (well, we all are, but he was excited to hear about the ingredients.) My daughter loved to help. I made it with chocolate protein powder because I didn’t have plain and also used 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup coconut oil because I just didn’t have a 1/2 cup butter. Turned out great. Oh, I used coconut sugar instead of Stevia. The whole thing was delicious. Thanks so much!

54. Made this for the second time today– even better. I lined my entire slow cooker with parchment paper then put cake batter in *awesome* entire cake slides right out afterwards. Mine is done at the 2-2.5 hour mark. I have topped it with your cream cheese butter cream frosting and freeze it in slices. Have the most scrumptious chocolate cake on hand now. It is just excellent- I may say the best choc cake ever or best I’ve had in a LONG time. Thanks Carolyn!

55. Loved this cake! So easy and very moist as you said. Was wondering how long to cook it if I wanted to use same recipe for cupcakes or regular cake pans and would it stay as moist? Only problem with crockpot cake is that it is not too pretty to look at just out of the crockpot so not very suitable for serving to guests.

56. I made this last week and we LOVED it!! Took it to church picnic to share with our LC friends. Served with toasted pecans and HWC. As my friend says, it’s a “do again!” My favorite cake of all time is a mayonnaise cake so next time I make this, I’m going to try subbing mayo for the butter and eggs.

57. Cindy Maddux says:

I just bought a rice cooker that has several functions on it, one of them being Slow Cook. The instructions say that the Slow Cook function operates as a traditional “High” Slow Cook function, and your instructions say to use Low setting. Would adjusting the time work with this recipe and if so, by how much? I have no experience with Slow Cookers so any advice would be appreciated from anyone who has the experience. Thanks.

58. This is hands-down the best chocolate cake I have ever tasted! I made it for our anniversary last night, but while it was cooking, hubby grabbed me and took me out to eat, and I forgot about the cake. My slow cooker has a “warm” function that keeps food hot until you turn it off. This morning I remembered that the cooker was still on and thought the cake would be doomed. But incredibly, it was just as rich and luscious as could be–we just can’t stop eating it!

59. Thank you for such a delicious recipe! Could I ask your recommendations on a few substitutions? (1) I’m really sensitive to caffeine as well and would like to decrease the cocoa powder. I thought about cutting it down to 1/2 cup or 1/3 cup cocoa powder. How much should I increase the almond flour by and should I add coconut flour? (2) Would it be possible to substitute the butter for olive oil?

• Sure, cut the cocoa powder back. Add the same amount of almond flour that you cut back the cocoa powder, and then add a tbsp or two of coconut flour. I am sure olive oil would work but it will impart an olive oil taste. Hope that works!

60. Looks great.

You know, I do love my slow-cookers (I have four), and I have pretty much adapted all of my soup and stew recipes to take advantage of slow-cook convenience, rather than using new “slow” recipes; but this summer I did discover the lovely ease of cooking corn cobs the slow way– simply tossing as many shucked cobs in there as will fit, adding a little oil or butter and some marinade or herbs, and 1/4C water. I like rosemary and orange-flavored oil as a combo, then cook on high for a couple of hours or low for 4/5. The corn is so infused with flavor, you need no salt or butter, and has great texture. And it doesn’t heat the kitchen as does boiling.

61. Lori Clover says:

Is there an alternative to using whey protein powder? I’m allergic to whey. This recipe looks delicious, I hope to try it if I can figure out how to replace the whey! Thank you for sharing your tips and recipes!

62. I made this yesterday for my husband’s and also my bday (same day). It was very good! I think it’s just as tasty as the usual sugary cake. I also made chocolate icing so it would be super rich.

There were a few minor issues. My cake was too moist after turning off the crock pot and letting it cool. It seemed undercooked even though my setup was almost identical. The cake was perfect the next day, just some sticking to the pot. Also, it was impossible to remove after cooling it so I just put the icing on top and left it in the pot. The individual pieces were somewhat messy.

Still, I thought it was very yummy. My husband and 4 year old son loved it too. :)

• I used Anthony’s blanched almond flour, Jay Robb protein powder, almond milk, granular erythritol, and PAM for the pot (which I don’t normally use). Maybe the PAM couldn’t withstand the slow cooking. I also have a 6 qt Hamilton Beach cooker so I don’t know why it seemed undercooked. The optional chocolate chips maybe?

• Bonnie, I use coconut oil for the sides of the slow cooker and parchment over the oil on the bottom. This makes it easy for the cake to come out in one piece beautifully.
        Now that I’ve over-cooked these cakes twice, I’ve come to the decision that I need to cook it for 4 hours in the slow cooker (average sized cooker), then turn it off, take the lid off, take the crock out and let it cool for a half hour. After that I put a plate on top, turn the whole thing upside down and the cake slides right out!

• Huh…okay so same slow cooker? Or maybe a different model that’s not as hot. I’ve never used anthony’s almond flour so I can’t say if that’s the issue. I doubt it’s the pam and it’s definitely not the chocolate chips because I used them in mine.

• It does sound like your slow cooker is less hot than mine, so yes, perhaps a little undercooked and more like “pudding cake”!

63. Adrian Pearson says:

Made this a few days back, and it was utterly superb. I did have a few issues when it came to removing it from my slow cooker, as I didn’t use any parchment paper I just greased the slow cooker with butter but it still stuck to the bottom. Other than that, it tasted awesome and everyone I’ve given a sample to couldn’t praise it enough. So next time I’ll make sure to use parchment paper and some coconut oil for easier removal. Thanks for this recipe and all the others, they’re great. Keep up the good work!!

64. I’ve made this twice now, and I LOVE this recipe. I wanted to try to slim down the recipe a touch, so this time I use 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup kefir cheese ( had some I needed to use up, next time I’ll use greek yogurt which I expect will work as well), 2 eggs and 2 eggbeaters (only because I ran out of eggs). I also left out the chocolate chips because last time the chips completely disappeared into the cake in the baking process. I can’t tell any difference in the end product, and the nutrition stats are slightly less decadent.

65. This cake is currently in my slow cooker, but I had to comment right away! I know it’s going to be great just by licking the spoon. This is the first low carb and/or gluten free treat I’ve ever made that had batter that tasted like REAL batter. I can hardly wait for the cake to be done!
    Thank you so much, Carolyn!!!

66. Just made this yesterday. My cake does not look that lovely dark color of yours. It is a lighter brown.
    My 16 year old son absolutely loves it. I warmed it up and served it with real whip cream. This cake is a real winner. This does not taste SF at all. I also used some monk fruit sweetener I had, erythritol and some brown sugar blend from Splenda.
    I substituted coconut flour for the whey and used coconut milk from the can.
    This cake is a total winner!
    I cooked mine for about 4 hours, turned off the crockpot and left it in over night.

• It probably didn’t turn out as dark because your cocoa powder was a lighter variety. I have used Hershey’s Dark and regular and it’s good either way.

67. I don’t have a 6 quart slow cooker – instead I have a 4 quart and a 7 quart – would you go with the 7 and shorten the time?

68. Tim Wright says:

Hi,

Looks brilliant. What can I use to substitute Swerve? I live in the UK and 1lb of Swerve is about $120.00.

Thanks

Tim

69. Can I replace the eggs with white eggs? Can I replace the butter with coconut oil? Thank you so much.It looks delicious

• For egg whites, you want at least 1.5 times the eggs…so I’d say 6 egg whites. Coconut oil shouldn’t be a problem at all.

70. Do you have a link for the charity cookbook?

71. Can I replace whole eggs with white eggs? Can I replace butter with coconut oil? Thank you!

72. Oh ..sorry ..I didnt see your answer above.Thank you!