Delicious low carb savory scones made with almond flour and chock full of bacon, sundried tomatoes and sharp Cheddar cheese.
Some recipes are born of necessity. These low carb savory scones were born of the necessity of using up some goat cheese in that had been languishing in our fridge. Alas, too late. I’d gathered the rest of my ingredients and had even go so far as to whisk the dry ingredients together. I then reached into the fridge, pulled out the wayward goat cheese and took a sniff. Oh my! I like strong tangy cheeses but there was no way that rank goat cheese was going in my scones, thank you very much. Not with that sour smell and moldy covering. And to think that for some cheeses we actually encourage mold to grow and eat it with relish! I will happily eat the rind on brie, but mold on soft goat cheese is another matter altogether.
So into the bin it went, and I needed something to add to my partially mixed bacon and sundried tomato scones. Thankfully, I usually have a very full cheese drawer and a little casting about brought some lovely Cabot sharp cheddar to light. Unopened and still well within its best before date! That’s not the first time Cabot cheese has come to the rescue.
And bacon. Bacon comes to the rescue frequently in my house. The original idea for these scones was simply goat cheese and sundried tomato. But bacon makes everything better and I happened to be frying some up for our dinner and thought how nice a little crumbled bacon would be in the scones. And since frying bacon splatters the stove and makes a mess anyway, I figured I might as well fry up some extra bacon while I was at it and only have to clean up the splatter once. I was tempted to use some bacon fat in the scones too, but worried that this would overpower the sundried tomatoes and the cheese, so I stuck with the bacon crumbles.
There you have it. Low carb, gluten-free savory scones born of the necessity of using up goat cheese (that got tossed in the end anyway), and of the desire to only splatter my cook-top with bacon grease once. If that’s not a great reason for a recipe, I don’t know what is. And they were really good; a perfect way to round out a soup or salad meal.
Bacon, Sundried Tomato And Cheddar Scones – Low Carb and Gluten-Free
- 2 ½ cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese grated (I recommend Cabot White Oak Aged Cheddar)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a large baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, flax seed meal, baking powder, salt, and garlic powder.
- Stir in bacon, tomatoes and grated cheese.
- Add eggs and whipping cream and stir until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto prepared baking sheet and pat into a rough rectangle about 1 inch thick (it should be about 6 by 8 inches). With a sharp knife, cut into 6 even squares. Then cut each square diagonally into two triangles.
- Gently lift scones and spread around baking sheet, leaving about 1 inch between them. Bake 25 minutes, or until golden brown and just firm to the touch.
- Let cool on pan at least 10 minutes.
Disclosure: All Day I Dream About Food is an affiliate of BaconFreak.com. Although they did not compensate me for this post, any sales made through the links above will generate a small amount of commission.