You’re going to love this easy zucchini casserole! Deliciously cheesy, low in carbs and keto friendly, this zucchini bake makes a wonderful summer side dish that even the kids will love. A great way to use up that bounty of summer squash.
You have to laugh, because this zucchini casserole recipe was born of absolute necessity. The necessity of having too much zucchini and not enough ideas of what to do with it! My fellow gardeners, does this happen to you too? Right around this time every year, I start drowning in the long green summer squash. Every year, I have one monster plant that produces and produces and produces. And beside it is a smaller plant that produces and produces and produces. Within the past 2 days, I have harvest 7 large zucchini and I am passing them out to strangers on the street. I am not kidding. Sometimes I leave a box of them on the street corner and by late afternoon, they are all gone.
Things grow big here in Oregon. It’s quite remarkable, really – coming from the east, where things grow rather grudgingly, it blows my mind to watch my garden explode here every year. And we have these gorgeous raised beds in a prime full sun position. The zucchini plants love it and they get so large, I get a little worried they are going to devour my house. I always tell my husband we should plant only one but we end up planting a few zucchini starts in the spring, just in case. And then my sweet, soft-hearted husband can’t bear to pull up a plant that’s doing well. So every year, like clockwork, we drown in zucchini.
Which means I need to up my low carb zucchini recipes game, friends. I have so much to use and not enough ideas to use it all. It was time to create a delicious zucchini side dish that everyone would eat. Because my kiddos are not huge zucchini lovers, I needed a dish that would make everyone happy. This easy and cheesy zucchini casserole is just that dish. The flavor and texture are wonderful and it uses up 2 medium zucchini. Which isn’t nearly enough, but it’s a start!
New video for Zucchini Casserole
How To Make Zucchini Casserole
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, then each half again lengthwise. Chop the quartered zucchini into 1/2 inch slices.
- Lightly boil the zucchini before draining. This helps it release excess moisture so your casserole isn’t soupy. It also helps pre-cook it a bit so the casserole is tender.
- Drain the zucchini well. It still requires this step and I let mine drain in a colander in the sink for about 15 minutes.
- Don’t squeeze the zucchini out. It won’t need it after boiling and draining. You want the pieces of zucchini to hold their shape.
- Layer the zucchini in a greased baking pan and pour the eggs, cream, and cheese mixture over top. It will work its way down into the bottom of the pan and bind the casserole together.
- Sprinkle the top with more cheese and crushed pork rinds for a delicious cheesy crust. Bake at 350F until bubbly and browned.
I honestly can’t believe how good this is. When this zucchini casserole was baking, my mouth was watering from the delicious smells emanating from my kitchen. It was hard to wait until the rest of the family was home to dig in. To be honest, I didn’t. I snuck a few bites as I was getting photos. It was melt in your mouth delicious!
This recipe can easily be doubled for a crowd. Just use a 9×13 pan and enjoy!
More Low Carb Zucchini Recipes!
You're going to love this easy zucchini casserole! Deliciously cheesy, low in carbs and keto friendly, this zucchini bake makes a wonderful summer side dish that even the kids will love. A great way to use up that bounty of summer squash.
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered and chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 tbsp butter cut into small pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar, divided (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely crushed pork rinds Optional
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the zucchini and cook until just tender, about 4 minutes. Drain well in a colander.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch round or 8-inch square ceramic baking dish. Spread the zucchini in the pan and dot with pieces of butter.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and cream. Stir in the onions, salt, and pepper, and half of the cheddar cheese. Pour over the zucchini.
Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheddar, the parmesan, and the pork rinds. Bake 35 minutes, until bubbly and the edges are nicely browned. Sprinkle with chopped basil, if desired.