Trust me, this Easy Chicken Caprese is about to become your new favorite keto dinner recipe. Simple to make with only 5 ingredients and the whole family loves it. It’s a delicious way to use some of the fresh summer produce and has less than 2g total carbs per serving.
I’ve recently update my easy chicken caprese recipe with a new instructional video!
Here we are in a new house with a blank slate for landscaping. And by blank slate, I truly mean blank. We have front beds full of wood chips and a square of lawn in the back that has nothing to complement it. We moved in the middle of the spring and I had hoped we’d at least get some raised beds in for vegetables. But alas, moving is hard and the peak time for planting got away on us. We know have a single zucchini plant that my preschooler grew from a seed and begged us to plant. We have a couple of basil plants growing on our kitchen counter that are intended for a few containers. And my husband did purchase two tomato plants, although we need to get containers big enough to let them grow and thrive. That’s it, that’s all we will manage to do this year.
How To Make Caprese Chicken
- Brown the chicken on both sides
- Top with fresh mozzarella
- Top with sliced tomatoes
- Bake until cooked through
- Sprinkle with fresh basil
It’s driving me crazy. Portland has had the most spectacular weather this year and the growing season started early. And around here, EVERYONE grows vegetables in their yard, so I pass by all these amazing gardens growing tomatoes, peppers, squash, lettuce, peas and berries. I go quite green with envy. I feel like I am missing out and my hands itch to turn the earth and put in some seedlings. I don’t enjoy gardening for the most part but I do love growing veggies. There’s a wonderful sense of accomplishment in growing your own food.
Ah well. We’ve got the basil, we’ve got the tomatoes. We can still make Caprese salad, right? And then we can make this easy and fresh caprese chicken. It’s so good, I plan to make it all summer long. And you will too, once you taste it!
Trust me, this Easy Chicken Caprese is about to become your new favorite keto dinner recipe. Simple to make with 5 ingredients and the whole family loves it. It's a delicious way to use some of the fresh summer produce and has less than 2g total carbs per serving.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced into 5 or 6 slices
- 1 medium tomato sliced into 5 or 6 slices (as many as you have thighs)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- Preheat oven to 375F.
In a large skillet, heat the oil until over medium heat until shimmering. Sprinkle chicken thighs with salt and pepper and add in a single layer to pan. Sear on the first side until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes, then sear on the second side another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Arrange chicken in a single layer in a medium casserole dish or glass baking pan. Top each chicken thigh with a slice of fresh mozzarella, then top each with a slice of tomato.
- Bake 25 to 28 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling and chicken is cooked through. Turn on broiler for 2 or 3 minutes to brown the top of the cheese.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh basil.