This spicy Italian Sausage Soup is packed with low carb vegetables and rich bone broth. It’s a super satisfying keto meal, and it comes together in less than 40 minutes.
Serve it with some keto breadsticks and dig in!
It’s February, it’s cold and dreary, and you need plenty of hearty keto soup. You also want it to be easy, flavorful, and satisfying.
Well then, head to the kitchen and make a big batch of this Italian Sausage & Vegetable Soup. The smell of it alone will make your mouth water.
It’s the kind of recipe you will find yourself making over and over again. I’ve already made it 3 times in the past month!
Easy keto sausage soup
This is one of those easy keto dinner recipes that I created on the fly and it just worked. I had various vegetables languishing in the fridge, and some good Italian sausage in the freezer.
So I sautéed the pork, tossed in the veggies, and added some broth. I stirred in a little tomato paste for color, and some Parmesan rind for added flavor. Then I let it simmer and do its thing.
The result was so rich and delicious. And with all those vegetables in there, it was a full meal in a bowl. I knew I had to make it again. And again.
This easy soup recipe takes basic ingredients available at any grocery store. You will need:
- Olive oil: Any neutral oil will work, including avocado oil.
- Spicy Italian sausage: Look for good sausage that doesn’t have a lot of extra carbs or sugars. You can use mild sausage if you prefer. If it comes as links, cut the casings off prior to cooking.
- Onion: Just ¼ cup adds flavor without adding too many carbs
- Chopped vegetables: The great part about this soup is that you can use whatever low carb veggies you need to use up. It’s a great recipe to help you clean out your fridge.
- Bone broth: I used beef broth but you could use also use chicken.
- Tomato paste: Adding 1 tablespoon of tomato paste gives the soup a rich color.
- Parmesan rind: This ingredient is optional but it adds wonderful richness.
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make Sausage & Vegetable Soup
- Sauté the sausage: Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat, then brown the sausage all over. Break up any clumps with a wooden spoon.
- Add the celery, onion, and garlic: There’s no need to transfer the meat out of the pot, the veggies can just be mixed right in. It saves a step and a dish!
- Stir in the other vegetables: Once the aromatics are becoming tender, you can add the remaining vegetables. Stir them to coat with the oils in the pot.
- Add the broth and tomato paste: Stir well to mix the tomato paste in.
- Add the Parmesan rind: Don’t worry if you don’t have any, the soup will still be delicious. It’s just a little trick I picked up for Italian style cooking that adds another element of flavor.
- Simmer: Bring the whole pot to a low boil, the reduce the heat and simmer until everything is tender.
- Discard the Parmesan rind: Like bay leaves, you want to remove and discard the rind before serving.
- Season to taste: Because sausage, Parmesan and broth all contain salt, you want to adjust the seasonings at the very end of cooking.
What to serve with Italian sausage soup?
With plenty of meat and vegetables, this soup is really a full meal on its own. However you can round out your meal with some keto bread or crackers.
In my photos, you see some buns I made from a KetoBakes mix. They were very tasty! Use code fooddreamer for 10% off if you want to try them yourself.
Here are some other tasty ideas:
- Easy Keto Focaccia Bread
- Keto Garlic Knots
- Keto Drop Biscuits
- Chipotle Cheddar Crisps
- Keto Garlic Parmesan Crackers
Store the leftover Italian sausage soup in a covered container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
It can also be frozen for up to two months.
Sausage Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ lb bulk spicy Italian sausage
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 6 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 inch piece of Parmesan rind (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Set a large soup pan or dutch oven over medium heat and add the oil. Once hot, add the sausage and sauté, breaking up any clumps, until nicely browned.
- Add the celery, onion, and garlic, and sauté 3 minutes, until the vegetables are beginning to soften. Then stir in the zucchini, green beans, red pepper, and tomato and sauté another 4 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and tomato paste. Add the Parmesan rind. Bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes. Fish out the parmesan rind, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with grated Parmesan, if desired.