Keto Peppermint Cupcakes feature rich, moist chocolate cake with creamy sugar-free peppermint frosting. This post is sponsored by Swerve Sweetener.
I simply cannot send you off into the holiday season without some delicious keto cake or other. I mean, what kind of food blogger would I be if I ignored that imperative?
In years past, I’ve presented you with such deliciousness as Keto Rum Cake, Keto Gingerbread Cake, and the eye-catching Keto Yule Log. This year, I decided to go with the much-loved flavor combination of chocolate peppermint.
These Keto Peppermint Cupcakes are just what you were craving for a rich holiday treat. Or at least they are now! Am I the creator of keto cravings? Very possibly. And I am not ashamed to own it.
Why you will love these cupcakes
You really can’t go wrong with moist chocolate cupcakes topped with peppermint scented frosting. It’s one of those easy recipes that appeals to kids and adults alike.
And for this recipe, you can use your favorite keto cupcake recipe. You can make them with the delicious Swerve Chocolate Cake Mix. Or you can make my classic Keto Chocolate Cupcakes.
I based the frosting on cream cheese so that it would be very white, as befits a peppermint recipe. I used the frosting from my Keto Carrot Cake, but added peppermint extract. It’s so creamy and smooth, it’s the perfect addition to this recipe.
They are easy to make and have all the chocolate peppermint flavor you crave. And look how pretty they are!
Ingredients you need
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Keto chocolate cupcakes: You have some choices for your cupcakes. You can use the Swerve Cake Mix, or my favorite keto chocolate cupcakes with coconut flour. Or you can use my Keto Devil’s Food Cake for an almond flour based recipe.
- Cream cheese: I created a peppermint cream cheese frosting to make it a lovely bright white.
- Butter: The frosting also takes butter for flavor and a creamy consistency.
- Swerve Confectioners: I find that Swerve Confectioners makes the best keto frosting. Other confectioner style sweeteners tend to clump or can make the frosting curdle. So Swerve is always my preference.
- Peppermint extract: I like the oil-based peppermint flavor from Frontier, as it combines well with other ingredients.
- Vanilla extract: Peppermint can be rather sharp on its own so a little vanilla extract helps soften the flavor.
- Whipping cream: Heavy cream helps smooth out the frosting to a spreadable consistency.
- Decoration: I used red keto sprinkles but I offer plenty of other options for these cupcakes. Check out the decorating ideas below!
Step by Step Directions
1. Prepare the cupcakes according to the directions. If you want some peppermint flavor, add the peppermint extract along with the other wet ingredients. Let the cupcakes cool completely.
2. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter together until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Beat in the sweetener and extracts until well combined.
3. Slowly beat in the heavy whipping cream until a spreadable consistency is achieved.
4. Pipe or spread the frosting on the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with holiday sprinkles or shave some sugar-free chocolate overtop.
Want to jazz up your keto peppermint cupcakes? I used some sugar-free red shimmer and some red sprinkles. Here are some other ideas:
- Keto sprinkles: I get my holiday sprinkles from The Sprinkle Company on Etsy. They also have edible glitter and sanding shimmer.
- Make your own red sanding shimmer: Take ¼ cup of Swerve Granular and add a little bit of natural food coloring. Mix with a small rubber spatula, then spread out to let the color set.
- Color the frosting: You can also simply add a little bit of red or green natural color to the frosting itself. Or try a two-tone version with some red and some white!
- Drizzle: Make a little of my Keto Hot Fudge Sauce to drizzle overtop.
- Crushed peppermint candies: I have yet to find a truly good keto peppermint candy, but sometimes I take a few sugar-free starlight mints and smash them up for decorating. Just two or three candies is enough for this batch of cupcakes!
- Shaved chocolate: Take half an ounce of keto friendly dark chocolate and shave over the frosting with a cheese grater.
Frequently Asked Questions
It depends a great deal on the recipe and what the cupcakes are made from. But this recipe for Keto Peppermint Cupcakes has 6.4g of carbs and 3.2g of fiber. That means it has a net carb count of 3.2g per serving.
You can easily make the keto chocolate cupcakes in advance, as they freeze very well. I think frosting is always better fresh, so I recommend making the frosting before you plan to serve.
Conventional sprinkles contain 5g of sugar per teaspoon. So even a little can add quite a few carbs to your keto recipes. I recommend finding keto sprinkles or making some sugar-free sprinkles yourself.
Keto Peppermint Cupcakes Recipe
- Sugar free sprinkles
- Shaved chocolate
- Prepare and bake cupcakes as directed, adding peppermint extract along with the other wet ingredients.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter together until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Beat in the sweetener and extracts until well combined.
- Slowly beat in the heavy whipping cream until a spreadable consistency is achieved.
- Pipe or spread the frosting on the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with holiday sprinkles or shave some sugar-free chocolate overtop!