A truly chewy keto cookie recipe! The low carb, sugar-free ginger cookie of your dreams, I am not kidding. In partnership with Bob’s Red Mill.
You know, I am really really good at keto baking. As immodest as that may seem, I am just going to put that out there. I have a knack for it, an intuitive understanding of how my low carb ingredients will behave. Sometimes I am wrong and they defy me, but not very often anymore. And it’s always a true joy to see other people make my recipes and have success too. I like to flatter myself that I am on the cutting edge here, experimenting and pushing the envelope, testing out new ideas and really changing the landscape of baking in general. I want to really find out what I can do with ingredients like almond flour and coconut flour, how far I can bend them to my will.
All that said, I am well aware that I stand to learn many things from other people. Sometimes a reader will pass on a tip and I will be intrigued enough to try it out. And then my mind is blown and my little brain starts churning like a crazed hamster on the wheel. Oh the sweet possibilities! A whole new avenue of baking experimentation has opened up and I am definitely going to stroll down it. And enjoy every second.
So, the secret to making truly chewy low carb cookies? Of course, I use my trusty Bob’s Red Mill almond flour as the base, because it makes the best low carb cookies by far. I always know that they will come out with great flavour and great texture. But in addition to that, I added a few tablespoons of grassfed gelatin. And that changed the texture completely. They were soft without being cake-y, and they had a distinct chewiness – just like a real ginger molasses cookie. It was a tip that I picked up on my Facebook page when a reader left it in the comments, and I figured it was worth a shot. And I was truly impressed. Some cookies should be crispy, some should be soft, and some should be chewy. Until now, I’ve never been able to achieve that chewy quality. It totally changes the low carb cookie game!
Now my keto cookie making obsession might be worse than it already was. As you can see from the photos here, I first intended this to be a holiday recipe. But things got away on me and I had so many other great recipes to share. So it’s a post-Christmas cookie. Because Chewy Ginger Cookies have no season…they are always welcome!
A truly chewy keto cookie recipe! The low carb, sugar-free ginger cookie of your dreams, I am not kidding.
- Preheat the oven to 325F and line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, gelatin, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and cloves.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, almond butter and sweetener until smooth. Beat in the eggs, Yacon, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add the almond flour mixture and continue to beat until the dough comes together. Roll into 1 inch balls and place a few inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 5 minutes, then remove from the oven and gently press down a bit (to encourage them to spread). Return to the oven and bake another 7 minutes or so, until just barely golden brown. They will still be very soft.
- Remove and let cool completely on the pan.
Looking for delicious low carb, high fat recipes that really satisfy? Check out my new cookbook, The Everyday Ketogenic Kitchen.
Many thanks to Bob’s Red Mill for partnering with me to bring you this recipe.