Creamy dreamy low carb vanilla cheesecake with delicious swirls of sugar-free Nutella. The ultimate healthy chocolate hazelnut dessert recipe.
It really is true what they say, that it’s the thought that counts. Even in our hyper-commercial, acquisition-driven society, where we all desire the next best thing in clothes, shoes, phones, and cars, this sweet little adage still means something. It means a lot, actually. So much that when your sweet 10 year old son spends some of his hard-earned money on a few bars of soap for your birthday, they instantly become your most treasured possessions. I couldn’t love those lavender-scented bars of soap more if they were strands of pure gold studded with diamonds and rubies. Given that I wear little jewelry as it is, the soaps are infinitely more personal and useful. Nice job, son!
And I know just how much thought he put into it, as he started thinking about my birthday a few days in advance and asking his father if he could buy me something. I think he was at a loss of what to get for me and he doesn’t have a lot of opportunity to hit the store in search of the perfect birthday present. But he kept his eyes open for his chance and when I sent him over to Whole Foods for a brick of cream cheese, he snuck a few of his own dollars into his pocket. I was actually getting worried and wondering what was taking him so long when he trudged up the driveway with one of his hands hiding something in the flap of his jacket that he wouldn’t let me see. I was so touched, it honestly wouldn’t have mattered what he had purchased.
With that kind of start to my day, my birthday was a guaranteed success. And it finished just as successfully, with a fire on a chilly day, a few thoughtful presents, some great take-out barbecue and this glorious low carb Nutella Swirl Cheesecake. Did I mention that it was glorious? Yes, it was an absolutely glory of a cheesecake. My sugar-free chocolate hazelnut spread came out unbelievably smooth this time, and I credit my Blendtec with that. You can get it pretty smooth in food processors or less high-powered blenders but it takes a lot more work and a lot more scraping down the sides and mixing it up and re-blending. Trust me, I’ve made my share of sugar-free Nutella in my day!
This truly is a must-make recipe for chocolate hazelnut lovers. The crust is made with hazelnut meal and the filling is so creamy and delicious, with big swirls of homemade Nutella. I can hardly wait to make it again! If you aren’t in the mood to make your own Nutella, consider this sugar-free Nuti-Light Chocolate Hazelnut Spread.
Nutella Swirl Cheesecake
- Preheat oven to 325F. In the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan, combine hazelnut meal, cocoa powder and sweetener. Stir in melted butter until well combined. Press crumb mixture firmly and evenly into bottom of pan.
- Bake 10 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool while working on the filling.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300F.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with sweetener until well combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl and beaters as needed.
- Beat in heavy cream and vanilla until mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Brush the sides of the pan with melted butter or spray with coconut oil spray.
- Pour half the cheesecake batter over the cooled crust and drizzle with half of the Nutella. Swirl with a knife. Repeat with remaining batter and remaining Nutella.
- Bake cheesecake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minute, until filling is mostly set but just jiggles slightly in the center.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely in the pan. Run a sharp knife around the edge and release the sides. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours.
Saturated fatty acids: 12.20g
Total fat: 29.37g
Calories from fat: 264
Total dietary fiber: 2.40g